Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A great view of a landscape

Options
  • 10-05-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

im often watching Grand Designs or Amazing Spaces , or that annoyingly arrogant vodafone ad man that irish women love, and there is alot of emphasis on what the view of landscape there is for these great projects.

the view might be of the sea, or of the countryside hills etc. there is great emphasis and spending alot of money to get big windows, elevate, move sitting room upstairs to make use of the view.

anyone wonder if this is really worth it. would you just get bored and are the more important considerations - size, location to amenities.

ive never lived in a house long enough to see if it matters. obviously if ive a sea view in a hotel room, id admire it due to the novelty but that would only for a day or two. living in it, would i notice it anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

sdraobs wrote: »
    im often watching Grand Designs or Amazing Spaces , or that annoyingly arrogant vodafone ad man that irish women love, and there is alot of emphasis on what the view of landscape there is for these great projects.

the view might be of the sea, or of the countryside hills etc. there is great emphasis and spending alot of money to get big windows, elevate, move sitting room upstairs to make use of the view.

anyone wonder if this is really worth it. would you just get bored and are the more important considerations - size, location to amenities.

ive never lived in a house long enough to see if it matters. obviously if ive a sea view in a hotel room, id admire it due to the novelty but that would only for a day or two. living in it, would i notice it anymore.

Agreed.when buying a house a few years back my parents couldn't understand why I wasn't willing to pay 20k more for a view (from upstairs) of a nearby lake...I ask them what did they think I would be doing all day ( with a young family) ? Sitting in my rocking chair looking out the window ..I wish :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

thanks, i know tv isnt real, and its good tv to show a nice view. i didnt think it in any way practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's surely worthwhile making best use of views but I think it's a mistake to have all the view available for too many areas of a property.
    You will never become tired of a view if it hits x you from one spot in the house whereas if it's all around you at all times, you might start to not even notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dunno, I rented an upside-down house for 3 years (while our kids were very small) where the top floor was an open plan kitchen / diner / sitting room looking out on an ocean view with pretty much floor to ceiling glass along one wall including double doors that opened out onto a huge deck.

I absolutely loved it. The first thing you saw before heading to work in the morning being a large seascape was something that put a smile on my face ever day I lived there.

If designing a house on a site that had such views, I couldn't bring myself not to make the most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a nice view is worth the money, you can always enjoy it. where we live there is a beatiful view of the sea when you drive into our cul de sac and from my back garden, i only wish i had it from the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Absolutely make the most of views but I think a little bit of thinking meaning the same thing is not constantly around you is a good way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Have spent the last ten minutes zoning out and looking at the view.
    Even in the rain it's beautiful.Sun setting over a lake type of thing.
    Still takes my breath away and that's after 20 years,so no,you won't get bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Everyone values different things. I would pay a big premium for a nice view - one of the things I like about apartments is you usually are up that bit higher and aren't just looking at someone's back wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

I have sea views, visible from downstairs but breathtaking from upstairs. I never ever get tired of them and only wish I could afford to turn the house "upside down", but can't. I need to move but am only willing to be by the sea.

A view is something truly special.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My small island dwelling is surrounded by the Atlantic on all sides. No view from the house as it is tucked in because of the gales, but from everywhere outside as soon as i pass the door. Cannot express the sheer joy of it. I have rented among mountains too, in Donegal, Kerry, Connemara and they have been a joy. Just been sitting out gazing at it all ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I’m close to the coast and have sea views on one side and green the other side. I’m in the process of redoing my downstairs and it all is based upon as much glass as I can put in to be able to see the outside from as many places as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We happen to have an amazing view from our living room and bedroom, it's super dramatic rolling Wicklow hills and looks pretty vast. Not having a view wouldn't be a deal-breaker but honestly I love the one we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm going to be renovating my house in a couple of years and I have a beautiful view of a valley so I will be getting in as many windows as possible on that side. I do stop and stare out at it any time I'm outside. It's a pity that the house currently doesn't use it but it's a hundred year old cottage and apparently that wasn't on the list of priorities when they built it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

i...anyone wonder if this is really worth it. would you just get bored and are the more important considerations - size, location to amenities.

A view would be a major feature for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

perfect, thanks for replies guys. you answered my questions, so appreciate it. though not the answer i was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You answered my questions, so appreciate it. though not the answer i was hoping for.

If you would rather be closer to amenities instead of having a view then that's your choice. Some people don't care about views. The hill of Howth, from the Sutton side, has incredible views but no real amenities without driving. I'd still rather live there with the stunning views than be closer to amenities.

A few years ago I mentioned to my sister about changing around our old grandparents house, moving the sitting room upstairs. It would mean you'd have a nice view overlooking a lake. Her only concern was how would her family get her coffin up the stairs for her wake.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A good view would be great but I wouldn't sacrifice amenities or services for it.

Advertisement