Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of clarity on Warranty for Switch

• 10-05-2019 11:43am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be here or in consumer issues but maybe someone has experience. Bought a Switch in Smyths before Christmas, about a month ago it stopped charging and has went dead. looked around online and it apparently has happened a few people and word is that Nintendo warranty are not too helpful but admittedly, online normally strays towards the negative. I thought it might just be a loose charging port so I rang a repair crowd here, who said they 'd happily do it but, one, it would void my warranty, and two, on a few occasions it also was a board issue, which would cost as much to repair as to buy a new one.

Thing is, I cannot find any info on returnign for warranty check, do I just pop into Smyths, whose website only seems to deal with returns within 30days or do I go to Nintendo, also hard to find any info on where it should go.

Basic question, want to return to see is the issue covered under warranty, do I just walk into Smyths with a receipt or is there a contact for Nintendo?

Also has anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Straight in to Smyths with your receipt, and don't let them fob you off to the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

For the first year I believe you deal with the retailer as you bought it from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your contract is with Smiths and not Nintendo. You don't have to avail of the warranty as this is offered on top of your consumer rights.

Sometimes it is easier & makes sense to use the warranty but don't let smiths convince you that you only have the warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Smyths are great at returns, unless they think it has been misused (and handheld consoled played by kids are often misused, so expect at least a cursory check).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

3DataModem wrote: »
    Smyths are great at returns, unless they think it has been misused (and handheld consoled played by kids are often misused, so expect at least a cursory check).

Which is fair enough, there are no signs of misuse at all so hopefully not much fuss. Still have the original box, had it in a protective case etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So went into Smyths, told them it wasn't working, he took it out and tried it on his charger and was happy enough that it wasn't charging. Asked would I be happy to swap it out for a new one, to which I said OK. He then said, you only have it a few weeks so your grand. I then stupidly corrected him (he was going to find out when he looked at the receipt a bit more clearly), that it had been a few months. He said they only took returns for 28days and then you had to go to Nintendo. I misled him here and said i had contacted Nintendo and they said to go through who I bought it from and they would return it. He called the manager over, who said it was through Nintendo for warranty. I politely said that I was told my contract was with them for the first year, he was busy and a bit flustered so just told the other guy to swap it out for a new one.

Thanks for the advice, they were quick and easy to deal with and once I stood my ground on the dealing with them and not Nintendo they gave in without any real resistance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For future reference, the contract with the retailer is not for 1 year, it's for a reasonable time. Irish law has you well covered for faulty expensive electronics. Many people had to go through this route with faulty PS3s. Irish consumer law is actually heavily in favour of the consumer on this.

Advertisement