If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onkyo RT 390 sound Pass through From Tv

Options
  • 10-05-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys 

A bit of a long shot here. 

I purchased the above receiver about 7+ years ago of yourselves. I have a new 4k smart tv with Netflix etc on it. How do I get the sound from the tv apps to pass through the receiver unit?. I know the tv has an (ARC) HDMI input. Should I plug the output from the receiver to the ARC input or do I go down the route of optical cable?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Guys 

A bit of a long shot here. 

I purchased the above receiver about 7+ years ago of yourselves. I have a new 4k smart tv with Netflix etc on it. How do I get the sound from the tv apps to pass through the receiver unit?. I know the tv has an (ARC) HDMI input. Should I plug the output from the receiver to the ARC input or do I go down the route of optical cable?
    Hi Luckycharms_74,

Does the receiver have ARC on it? If so you sould be able to connect the amp to the TV via the HDMI cable however you would need to change the input settings on the TV and receiver to read ARC. If this isn't working though the easiest thing to do is connect via optical but HDMI gives better sound.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi Luckycharms_74,

Does the receiver have ARC on it? If so you sould be able to connect the amp to the TV via the HDMI cable however you would need to change the input settings on the TV and receiver to read ARC. If this isn't working though the easiest thing to do is connect via optical but HDMI gives better sound.

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I plugged the HDMI output from receiver to HDMI 2 (ARC) on tv and changed the HDMI settings on receiver

That seems to have fixed it

I might be in the market for a replacement receiver which can handle 4K passthrough and Bluetooth would be handier with WiFi ;)

From what I have read the old only I have doesn’t work with 4K so not getting true picture. Is that correct ?

Hi Luckycharms_74,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I plugged the HDMI output from receiver to HDMI 2 (ARC) on tv and changed the HDMI settings on receiver

That seems to have fixed it

I might be in the market for a replacement receiver which can handle 4K passthrough and Bluetooth would be handier with WiFi ;)

From what I have read the old only I have doesn’t work with 4K so not getting true picture. Is that correct ?
    Hi Luckycharms,

That is right, because there is no 4K passthrough you are only getting 1080p through the receiver. If you do want 4K images I would recommend using the optical and having the HDMIs plugged directly into the TV. As I say, the sound quality wouldn;t be as good but you wouldn't be compromising on picture quality.

Kind regards

David

Hi David 

I connected the Optical cable to Optical 2 connection on the unit and set tv audio to Optical. The audio works on and off now (having said that it did the same when connected to HDMI). I have to try fiddle around with the menu and the speaker A/B button. Sometimes it works other times not. 

Then the next time I turn it on it will just work. I'm sure it's just some small setting on the unit. I have tried the reset function by pressing the VCR/Power button on remote but "CLEAR" never appears. 

Are there any places that could test the unit for me?

For the moment I have just bypassed the unit and I'm using the TV speakers for sound (otherwise her indoors will throw it out the window :D)

Its a strange one :(

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi David 

I connected the Optical cable to Optical 2 connection on the unit and set tv audio to Optical. The audio works on and off now (having said that it did the same when connected to HDMI). I have to try fiddle around with the menu and the speaker A/B button. Sometimes it works other times not. 

Then the next time I turn it on it will just work. I'm sure it's just some small setting on the unit. I have tried the reset function by pressing the VCR/Power button on remote but "CLEAR" never appears. 

For the moment I have just bypassed the unit and I'm using the TV speakers for sound (otherwise her indoors will throw it out the window :D)

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Not sure where you are based but if you popped into us here at the Beflast store with it we could give it a test over.

• Advertisement

Hi David 

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Not sure where you are based but if you popped into us here at the Beflast store with it we could give it a test over.
    Yeah, ill try a few more things on it 1st. With regard to the factory settings, I was using the remote instead of the receiver itself. I will try a facotry reset and see if that helps. 

I have selected the TV/CD setting on the unit as Optical 2. I assume that's all I need to do or will it work without assigning it?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi David 

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Yeah, ill try a few more things on it 1st. With regard to the factory settings, I was using the remote instead of the receiver itself. I will try a facotry reset and see if that helps. 

I have selected the TV/CD setting on the unit as Optical 2. I assume that's all I need to do or will it work without assigning it?
    Hey Luckycharms_74.

Sometimes they do need assigned unfortunately.
    It should say beside the optical input you are using which input it is under ( I take it it's the TV/CD that you mention).

If TV/CD is assigned to another input then you would need to reassign the optical to one that is not currently being used.
    then you should be able to just select that input on the remote and get the sound from the television.

Things have developed a lot over the last 7 years so it might be possible that there is some compatibility issue between your amp and the new television as things like ARC were in their infancy where the receiver was released.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi David 

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Hey Luckycharms_74.

It should say beside the optical input you are using which input it is under ( I take it it's the TV/CD that you mention).

If TV/CD is assigned to another input then you would need to reassign the optical to one that is not currently being used.
    then you should be able to just select that input on the remote and get the sound from the television.

Things have developed a lot over the last 7 years so it might be possible that there is some compatibility issue between your amp and the new television as things like ARC were in their infancy where the receiver was released.

Still having same issue after those steps. 
    I would put money on it being the known issue of the faulty "DSP Chip", but Onkyo have stopped honouring those repairs since Dec 2018 :(

https://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/customer-service-program-118747.html

"Onkyo Finally Addresses "No Sound" Issues w/ Replacement/Extended Warranty Program
    Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.

To address the problem and help people who may have an Onkyo Brand receiver manufactured between 2009 and 2012 and affected by loss of audio or loss of network connection („Impacted Receiver“), Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue. This program has three steps:

Verify if your Onkyo Brand receiver is impacted
    If you have an Impacted Receiver, decide how you prefer to address the issue
    Send us your Impacted Receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you

As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue: for Impacted Receivers, the warranty regarding the loss of audio or the loss of network connection will be extended through December 31, 2018, but shall in no case expire prior to the end of the statutory period for the original limited warranty or contractual guarantee, if any. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the statutory period for the original standard limited warranty or contractual guarantee, if any.

Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.

To determine if your Onkyo Brand receiver is an Impacted Receiver and thus eligible under this Warranty Extension Program please click here

We thank you for your loyalty!

End release"

It looks like I will have to find a repair agent locally unless I send it up to you guys for repair?

Hi David 

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Hey Luckycharms_74.

I would put money on it being the known issue of the faulty "DSP Chip", but Onkyo have stopped honouring those repairs since Dec 2018 :(

"Onkyo Finally Addresses "No Sound" Issues w/ Replacement/Extended Warranty Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.

To address the problem and help people who may have an Onkyo Brand receiver manufactured between 2009 and 2012 and affected by loss of audio or loss of network connection („Impacted Receiver“), Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue. This program has three steps:

Send us your Impacted Receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you

As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue: for Impacted Receivers, the warranty regarding the loss of audio or the loss of network connection will be extended through December 31, 2018, but shall in no case expire prior to the end of the statutory period for the original limited warranty or contractual guarantee, if any. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the statutory period for the original standard limited warranty or contractual guarantee, if any.

Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.

To determine if your Onkyo Brand receiver is an Impacted Receiver and thus eligible under this Warranty Extension Program please click here

End release"

It looks like I will have to find a repair agent locally unless I send it up to you guys for repair?
    Hi Lucky_Charms74,

You can certainly send it to us for repair. To book it in we charge a £50 non refundable estimate fee. This is to have it looked at and to cover shipping to the repair agents. With that repair though it could cost about the same as a new receiver. The repair agents will come back to us with a quote and you can decide if you'd like to go ahead with the repair. I won't know the exact figure until they get back to us but you could be looking at a couple of hundred pounds for the repair. For the age of the unit I think the most cost effective thing would be to look at a new amp as the features will be more compatible with your current TV and you won't be spending a fortune to fix something you'll always need a work around for.

Kind regards

David

Hi David 

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Hey Luckycharms_74.

End release"

Hi Lucky_Charms74,

You can certainly send it to us for repair. To book it in we charge a £50 non refundable estimate fee. This is to have it looked at and to cover shipping to the repair agents. With that repair though it could cost about the same as a new receiver. The repair agents will come back to us with a quote and you can decide if you'd like to go ahead with the repair. I won't know the exact figure until they get back to us but you could be looking at a couple of hundred pounds for the repair. For the age of the unit I think the most cost effective thing would be to look at a new amp as the features will be more compatible with your current TV and you won't be spending a fortune to fix something you'll always need a work around for.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David

Yeah thinking about it I don't think it's viable to get it repaired. I'll have a look on your website for a replacement receiver and get on then

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi David 

Hi LuckyCharms_74.

Hey Luckycharms_74.

End release"

Hi Lucky_Charms74,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David

Yeah thinking about it I don't think it's viable to get it repaired. I'll have a look on your website for a replacement receiver and get on then

Thanks
    No problem, if you have any questions about the receivers just drop me a post!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.