Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zara - won't give me my money back

Options
  • 10-05-2019 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi

I purchased a jacket off the Zara website, €129. I returned it within 2 -3 days receiving it as I did not like the material.

For returns, they say to print off the returns label and stick onto the bag. It also included my ID number. I don't have access to a printer so I wrote the address down and included all my details written on paper.

Weeks went by, no money was refunded. For almost the last month I have been onto customer service about it, getting no where with them. I sent photos of my An Post receipt and anything else they requested. Everytime I was told the issue would be looked into and I would be contacted.

Today I made it clear I would be taking to social media of I was not going to get my money back. The lady I was dealing with told my my order did arrive to the store, for returns. But because I didn't download and print off the address form, I'm at fault and not getting money back.

I'm so frustrated. It's not fair they get to keep my money, and go onto to sell that item and make another 129 Euro from it.

I then said give me the money or jacket back.

Am I entitled to anything? I did suggest I could download and print off the form now, but they said there's no point as I don't have the item any longer.

I know none of this would have happened if I did print off the form, I don't have a printer at home and would have to go to the next town to a internet cafe, a bit out of my way.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They don't have to give you your money back. You simply changed your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

Online Distance selling rules or cooling off period means they do have a right to their money back, as it was purchased online.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What can I do?

Small Claims Court. Itll cost you 25 euro but you can ask to recover the cost of the jacket, the postage and the small claims amount.

What exactly are Zara offering? I find it difficult to understand that they have admitted to receiving the item back from you but are refusing to refund you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The form is irrelevant.
    You have your proof of postage, they have confirmed it did in fact arrive into the store, what happened to it after that is none of your concern.
    Stop dealing with the store and email the head office with your proof of postage. Going forward, try to do everything via emails so you have a chain of proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The printed returns label is bar coded so that it can be scanned and logged on return. It has all the details of the purchaser and is specific to you as the label is emailed to the purchaser making the return.

What does t&cs say about printing label for returns?

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    The printed returns label is bar coded so that it can be scanned and logged on return. It has all the details of the purchaser and is specific to you as the label is emailed to the purchaser making the return.

Their T&Cs cannot overwrite European Consumer Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The printed returns label is bar coded so that it can be scanned and logged on return.
    The barcode is likely the ID number and maybe the name, the info on a barcode is usually duplicated elsewhere and sounds like they did their best to put the info on.

If you get an item that does not scan in a supermarket, or a concert ticket, they will just input numbers manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Can u expand on this??

....... wrote: »
    What can I do?

Small Claims Court. Itll cost you 25 euro but you can ask to recover the cost of the jacket, the postage and the small claims amount.

What exactly are Zara offering? I find it difficult to understand that they have admitted to receiving the item back from you but are refusing to refund you at all?

They haven't offered me anything. Just kept saying they are looking into it everytime I get in contact with them.

Because I didn't print off the form to return and stick on the package with there address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ei9go

Ask your card company to do a chargeback. Simplest way.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The form is irrelevant.
    You have your proof of postage, they have confirmed it did in fact arrive into the store, what happened to it after that is none of your concern.
    Stop dealing with the store and email the head office with your proof of postage. Going forward, try to do everything via emails so you have a chain of proof.

I haven't been dealing with the store, it's been Zara online customer service.

I have all messages on What's App.

The bar code is numbered.... I work in retail myself and know the code works alone than the bar scan.

Didn't read the t & C's 🙄🙄 online returns are usually straight forward.

rubadub wrote: »
    The printed returns label is bar coded so that it can be scanned and logged on return.
    The barcode is likely the ID number and maybe the name, the info on a barcode is usually duplicated elsewhere and sounds like they did their best to put the info on.

If you get an item that does not scan in a supermarket, or a concert ticket, they will just input numbers manually.

And that code was written down by me, on the paper I included in my returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

This won't help you out now but may be of use to someone in the future. If you have no access to a printer at home etc, the local library should have printers and scanners for use. The fees charged are tiny compared to other places. You're talking 10 - 20 cent a page or so.

As for your situation, as others have said keep everything in writing and if needed go with small claims court. Don't bother threatening with social media etc

Can u expand on this??

What that means is that you are not automatically entitled to your money back when you change your mind about an item you buy in a shop.

However, that doesnt apply to something you bought online. Distance selling regulations give a cooling off period when you are entitled to your money back for a change of mind.

quote=ei9go;110151465]Ask your card company to do a chargeback. Simplest way.[/quote]

How?

What that means is that you are not automatically entitled to your money back when you change your mind about an item you buy in a shop.

However, that doesnt apply to something you bought online. Distance selling regulations give a cooling off period when you are entitled to your money back for a change of mind.[/quote]

I know alright your not always entitled to money back, but I haven't been offered anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

How would this work in the real world? Sure everybody would just do it all the time.

What courier did you use to send it back? When you look up the tracking online, does it show as "delivered"?

If so take a screenshot of this and send to customer service. Say that you have been more than reasonable & patient but feel like you are being pawned off, the label is irrelevant because the tracking shows that the package was delivered safely back to the store/warehouse.

Say that if you don't receive an email confirming you will be refunded as per your consumer rights under Irish law by 5pm on Tuesday, you will be lodging a claim with the small claims court and also publicising the poor customer service you have received on social media.

However, that doesnt apply to something you bought online. Distance selling regulations give a cooling off period when you are entitled to your money back for a change of mind.
    '

I know alright your not always entitled to money back, but I haven't been offered anything back.[/quote]

• Advertisement

Apologies I'm using my phone atm so annoying when tryna quote posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Hmmm, this is a tough one.

First off, you definitely are entitled to your money back with no questions asked within a certain period, no issue there.

However, the fact that you have not printed out the return label has thrown a spanner in the works. It could be the case that the person who it was returned to simply does not have a way, or does not know a way, for this now to be processed, i.e. they have a scanner for such things, and without the bar/qr code to scan, they are lost. Yes, I agree that it should of course be possible to enter these details manually, but I would hazard a guess that 99.9% if returns have this printed return form included, and hence it's an unusual situation which the person who received it just does not know how to deal with now.

I do agree with the poster who suggests the small claims court, I believe you will definitely prevail if you push it.

The fact is though I guess is that if you buy something online, then there is somehow a presumed expectation that you would also have access somehow to a printer, even if that is not always the case, as seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Well from Zaras pov they didnt get the jacket so they dont have to refund you.

You have a receipt that you posted something to Zara but not the correct way.

So 2 things could have happened.

An post lost the parcel or Zara got the jacket but because the correct barcodes werent on it it may have been inputted incorrectly.

If you sent it standard post you are out of luck as theres no way to track it, you can put in for a lost package and you could get lucky in that they find it but otherwise you will be at the loss for it.

If its the latter then you are at the mercy of Zara and unless they find it in their system then you wont be able to prove that they got it.

Its the downside of online shopping .

SusieBlue wrote: »
    What courier did you use to send it back? When you look up the tracking online, does it show as "delivered"?

If so take a screenshot of this and send to customer service. Say that you have been more than reasonable & patient but feel like you are being pawned off, the label is irrelevant because the tracking shows that the package was delivered safely back to the store/warehouse.

Say that if you don't receive an email confirming you will be refunded as per your consumer rights under Irish law by 5pm on Tuesday, you will be lodging a claim with the small claims court and also publicising the poor customer service you have received on social media.

I have done all the above, bar threaten to bring this to the Small claims Court.

I sent through An Post, I was given a tracking number and it confirmed it arrived. Zara themselves even said they received it in store.

***The Zara Store did receive the jacket back, they confirmed it to me and I also have proof from An Post the package arrived to them***.

Shelflife wrote: »

An post lost the parcel or Zara got the jacket but because the correct barcodes werent on it it may have been inputted incorrectly.

If you sent it standard post you are out of luck as theres no way to track it, you can put in for a lost package and you could get lucky in that they find it but otherwise you will be at the loss for it.

If its the latter then you are at the mercy of Zara and unless they find it in their system then you wont be able to prove that they got it.

Its the downside of online shopping .

I don't think you read my OP fully...

T-Maxx wrote: »
    How would this work in the real world? Sure everybody would just do it all the time.

If you don't have any solution or advice re my issue, please don't bother commenting.

Zara already confirmed they had received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

T-Maxx wrote: »

Anything which you buy online can be returned 'for convenience' within a certain time period. As long of course as you have not damaged it. etc.

• Advertisement

The package was delivered safely and An Post tracking confirms the same, so she does have proof.
    What happened the parcel after that fact is none of OP's concern & not her problem, that's for Zara to sort out.
    If they lost it in their warehouse that's their issue.

If they are adamant they only want their labels to be used they should include a free printed one with each delivery, as Asos does.
    Not everyone has access to a printer these days and so long as its sent with the correct info & with tracking it shouldn't matter.
    Its reasonable to assume not all customers will have the means to print off paperwork, so hand written bar codes & order numbers should be sufficient, so long as its sent tracked, which it was.

She is entitled to a refund for sure, I would definitely threaten the small claims court to get them to pull their finger out.

Advertisement