Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Day At A Whine (Sweet Jesus), Liveline, 10/05/19 and dat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

'Entitled'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Autism and ADHD are much bandied about words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Roger_007 wrote: »
    What size of area would you need to be looking at to have tried 42 schools?

Em..north dubland caller ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ok I zoned out, was he satanic after the LSD? I'm lost?

They saw how impressionable you were

• Advertisement

Wacky Backy

What did they think of the lsd?

Damo ya don’t know yer stuff at all at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Imagine.......religious leaders telling people how to live their lives.......who'd have thunk it?

This lad would make a great fiction writer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Boring!!!! Damo stop letting him waffle, like listening to two bar flies.

This lad would make a great fiction writer

A good fiction writer needs to be more stimulating and coherent than this muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

De mice will be getting their marching orders..

Jebus could Ray sound any more bored, I think that's meant to be his 'excited' voice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

pc7 wrote: »
    Jebus could Ray sound any more bored, I think that's meant to be his 'excited' voice

whoy does de nuacht not be on at 4. its a good job i dont live in dublin i woyld have at him if i saw him.

whoy does de nuacht not be on at 4. its a good job i dont live in dublin i woyld have at him if i saw him.

Wrong thread caller.:)

10 minutes past 5pm and I'm still not out of the office. Duffy will be billed for this.

Here's the Excel sheet for Liveline to date.

Please suggest amendments or corrections.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QhoNXKDkCH6veT8pfbQprkWou1rstjlXpLP0QqEL6Ao/edit?usp=sharing

(scroll to the bottom for a summary)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

great work tyrant. if you superimposed a teachers schedule it wud match

great work tyrant. if you superimposed a teachers schedule it wud match
    I reckon it would, but as a % of official working days, Duffy is way ahead of most teachers.

Excluding public holidays, he's already had 19 days of leave this year, and we're not even half-way. That's already very close to most workers' annual leave entitlement.

I almost feel bad 'picking on' Duffy, when the a similarly loose approach seems to exist across RTE. Any other broadcaster we should be looking at? Finucane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

As Joe is a contractor is it up to him to employ and pay the subbie.

• Advertisement

Depends on the contract. I've worked as a contractor in a large organisation; coverage of my absence was always the responsibility of the organisation.

Now, what I'd really like to know is why RTE doesn't have to put its contracts to public tender under EU procurement laws.

Depends on the contract. I've worked as a contractor in a large organisation; coverage of my absence was always the responsibility of the organisation.

Now, what I'd really like to know is why RTE doesn't have to put its contracts to public tender under EU procurement laws.

Yes, you are on to something here. They would argue that it takes an individual of extraordinary talent (the talent of having rapport with listeners) like Darcy, Duffy, Tubridy etc which is generally not in the ordinary population, so they have to grab and hold onto it when they stumble across it... or something to that effect. Of course we all know that’s a load of b@llox, but D4bes has to make the. Add of keeping and paying for them.

Marian does a mere 4 hours a week, but it’s on weekends when many others are off work, and she would argue that she spends hours on research. This is probably true in her case, as she has to pay especially close attention toon to current affairs as they crop up.

Yes, you are on to something here. They would argue that it takes an individual of extraordinary talent (the talent of having rapport with listeners) like Darcy, Duffy, Tubridy etc which is generally not in the ordinary population, so they have to grab and hold onto it when they stumble across it... or something to that effect. Of course we all know that’s a load of b@llox, but D4bes has to make the. Add of keeping and paying for them.
    I can't imagine that would cut much mustard with our EU brethren. I assume there is some obscure exemption for RTE on the law books; otherwise I can't figure out why their contracts are exempt from EU procurement rules on public tenders.
    Marianne does a mere 4 hours a week, but it’s on weekends when many others are off work, and she would argue that she spends hours on research. This is probably true in her case, as she has to pay especially close attention toon to current affairs as they crop up.
    Yeah, she's been offering that excuse for years now, but the same applies to every RTE broadcaster, some of whom work every day (I'm thinking of the News at One). I think we need a Marian Finucane working-time calculator, courtesy of my employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The oft-quoted €400K figureen is from memory from 2-16 caller. Do you honestly believe he hasn’t had incremental raises since?

Also, you need to compare multiple years to arrive at hourly rates etc. as days (hours) wurked per year do be do be do de do have a difference so to speak and dat. It’s very complicamated and dat.
    I reckon 2016 represented a stabilisation of RTÉ salariés, and would indeed expect salaries (fees) to have grown since then, in line with broader wage inflation in the economy.

Arent the RTÉ Top 10 salary figures usually released by June? We should have had them by now, I'd have thought.

Edit: No, December was the month of the latest release, it seems.

De €400K is actually from 2-14! De December release was for 2-16 and dat.

RTE typically waits 18months - 2years to publish salary/fees figures too - for commercial reasons :pac::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: - to publish these figures.

The 2-15 figures were posted in 2-17:
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/revealed-top-10-highest-earning-rte-presenters-includes-three-women-while-ray-darcy-was-paid-400k-35989583.html

2-16 in 2-18 (December!!!!!):
    https://www.thejournal.ie/top-earners-rte-4391313-Dec2018/

But as I have frequently pointed out, it's not as simple as total remuneration - you have to factor in holidays and break-eens into the equation.

An exaggerated example to highlight de point so to speak:
    John Bluffy wurks 150 days in 2-17 @ €1,000 per day = €150,000
    John Bluffy wurks 100 days in 2-18 @ €1,450 per day = €145,000

Now RTE and John Bluffy can say he took a reduction in fees for de calendar year, when in actual fact he wurked considerably less days but his fees increased 45%. Dis type of thing is happening callers.

10 minutes past 5pm and I'm still not out of the office. Duffy will be billed for this.

Here's the Excel sheet for Liveline to date.

Please suggest amendments or corrections.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QhoNXKDkCH6veT8pfbQprkWou1rstjlXpLP0QqEL6Ao/edit?usp=sharing

(scroll to the bottom for a summary)

Well done! Well done!

Suggestion: could do wit a baseline Fees Calculator and dat IMO as dat always makes for eyebrow-raising reading......take de auld figure of €2,500 per show and dat (I do believe this to be higher now btw so to speak).

Lol.

Not a chance in hell he's paying that.

I'd be willing to pay for an FOI to prove the point, but I suspect that would fall under the RTE Get Out Of Jail Free card of "commercial sensitivity".

I reckon it would, but as a % of official working days, Duffy is way ahead of most teachers.

Excluding public holidays, he's already had 19 days of leave this year, and we're not even half-way. That's already very close to most workers' annual leave entitlement.

I almost feel bad 'picking on' Duffy, when the a similarly loose approach seems to exist across RTE. Any other broadcaster we should be looking at? Finucane?

Now say what you want about teachers holidays but they work more hours in a day (even primary school teachers) than Duffy does in a week - and they're NOT getting paid €400K+ for it.

Well done! Well done!

Suggestion: could do wit a baseline Fees Calculator and dat IMO as dat always makes for eyebrow-raising reading......take de auld figure of €2,500 per show and dat (I do believe this to be higher now btw so to speak).

How do you mean?

Something like mean salary per day? The problem with that is that we're using 2019 attendance with 2017 salary figure.

Can I just add, it's incredibly cynical that RTE wait until December + 1 year to release salary stats for the Year - 1. This is a semi-state body.

How do you mean?

Something like mean salary per day? The problem with that is that we're using 2019 attendance with 2017 salary figure.

Can I just add, it's incredibly cynical that RTE wait until December + 1 year to release salary stats for the Year - 1. This is a semi-state body.

Are you new here? :pac: I've been banging that drum for the last 5 years - at least!

Re. the salary/fees estimate - I think it's important to show this as it quantifies the problem monetarily - even if the fees are out of date - if anything they're an under-estimate. To say he's worked 80 days (for example) means nothing really to the ordinary punter. To say those 80 days = 100 hours frames it in a different light. To then say he "earned" €200,000 for those 100 hours can lead to heart failure...........

100 hours btw = 12.5days to you and me. Most of you worked more by mid-Jan than he has this year.

• Advertisement

To say he's worked 80 days (for example) means nothing really to the ordinary punter. To say those 80 days = 100 hours frames it in a different light. To then say he "earned" €200,000 for those 100 hours can lead to heart failure...........
    I like the idea of a per-hour figure. This could be added to an Excel document pretty easily. It can probably be applied to Duffy easier than other broadcasters, as his show requires little/ no research.

I'm just a little uneasy about applying outdated salary data, even knowing that that salary has likely increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »

Gimme a Bucket

Just featured on the news, looked like he was going to throttle a chisler for splashing his suit.

Just featured on the news, looked like he was going to throttle a chisler for splashing his suit.

He jumped back fairly sharpish.

I like the idea of a per-hour figure. This could be added to an Excel document pretty easily. It can probably be applied to Duffy easier than other broadcasters, as his show requires little/ no research.

I'm just a little uneasy about applying outdated salary data, even knowing that that salary has likely increased.

I had an estimated fees column in the 2-18 Wurkday Calculator......always made for interesting reading imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yeah, made a run to get away from the lovely chislers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I still can't get whoy he's associated with childers o'de rising as if de buke was only for charity so to speak.

I still can't get whoy he's associated with childers o'de rising as if de buke was only for charity so to speak.

On morning Ireland while promoting the opening of the park he got a nice little* plug in for his children of the troubles book.

* nothing little about it. It was as blatant and totally unnecessary for the topic he was discussing.

Advertising leakage, I think D4bes called it. I thought she was clamping down on it.

Advertising leakage, I think D4bes called it. I thought she was clamping down on it.

FunnyFryday was 2 weeks ago caller but thanks for your service....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

As an aside, I noticed Joe is wearing the same jacket/ shirt combo as he wore in the portrait reveal pic from earlier in the thread.

Times must be hard on Mr Duffy.

I mean,seen in public in the same outfit twice,and not even a hint of velour or a dickie bow in sight.

He truly is a man of de peeples. :rolleyes:

FunnyFryday was 2 weeks ago caller but thanks for your service....;)

And that remark SJ is the very reason that you'll never appear on the FF show. It was TOO funny.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I missed the end of the mice story. They identified the council. Did they get to talk to anyone there? What happened at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

bobbyss wrote: »
    I missed the end of the mice story. What happened at the end?

They all ran after the farmer's wife and she cut off their tails with a carving knife.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    They all ran after the farmer's wife and she cut off their tails with a carving knife.........and Joe took the credit for solving the problem even though he had zero input into the solution.

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Did anyone from the council contact the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I missed the end of the mice story. They identified the council. Did they get to talk to anyone there? What happened at the end?

something along the lines that the council don't discuss individual cases !!

I was working in the libraries when de book came out, and stupid silly me, I thought it was all for children's Charity and was enthusiastically urging people not to just read the library copy but to perhaps buy a copy for the bookshelf (a lot of the men of Dublin 8 were very absorbed in Doobalin history) or as presents for Christmas as the money was for children’s charities. I had a special promotion display for it and all, that you couldn’t miss as you entered my library. I handled that book with reverence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

There was a council van outside the house and the guy in it reading a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I was working in the libraries when de book came out, and stupid silly me, I thought it was all for children's Charity and was enthusiastically urging people not to just read the library copy but to perhaps buy a copy for the bookshelf

You see this is the problem I have with Duffy. He announces his own private Twitter account out on the show "I've just tweeted that picture of the fibre gade to @joeliveline" and when you go to that Twitter page, it has his Children Of The Rising book as the back drop. Now if he was giving the proceeds to charity then you could say fair enough. But he's using his position in RTE to direct people to a page promoting his private enterprise. I don't blame him, I blame management for not having the balls to tell him to f**k off with himself when he tries to do this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement