Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Day At A Whine (Sweet Jesus), Liveline, 10/05/19 and dat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Uncharted wrote: »
    No one gives a sh1te about Colin.

We want Paula.

Nothing good ever came from a Colin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

whenever a caller starts with Joseph or mr duffy gold comes soon after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

whenever a caller starts with Joseph or mr duffy gold comes soon after

A-ha !!! Well spotted caller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cozar wrote: »
    the "how dare you" ones on now, Paula going back to work she couldnt be dealing with these ones, she played a blinder.

How dare you...me hole

How VERY dare you :)

To be fair, at least Duffy didn't strawman Paula, I thought he did well

Thank you Paula!

It wasnt fair of Duffy to leave Paula be.
    It was fear of her !.
    Never had him tipped as clever,I may have to rethink that one

Paula would tear Joe a new one.

Any update on Georgie and his blonde Mummy ?

Coming to a dvd store near you soon, caller....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Thank you. I need to let some of my angst out to those who supposedly represent us! Cheers for the help.

Here you go.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21576408

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Was driving listening to Paula, she was Feckin brilliant. Was expecting Joe to ambush her but no one came near, she was fantastic. May actually listen back later as didn’t catch it all. Great catching up on comments too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

pc7 wrote: »
    Was driving listening to Paula, she was Feckin brilliant. Was expecting Joe to ambush her but no one came near, she was fantastic. May actually listen back later as didn’t catch it all. Great catching up on comments too :)

Same as that. I had visitors, 2 of them louder than Paula. Will listen back in peace later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anyone got a bottle of warter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

pc7 wrote: »

Paula was saying in public what most people I know are saying in private: that many of the alleged homeless are 'gaming the system'.
    I loved the way she saw off that freeloader, Ciaran. She let fly at him with both barrels and he vanished faster than a hot snot.
    The only surprise was that Duffy allowed her to have her say. He normally invents a 'bad line' or just cuts the caller short with a "You can't sat that".
    If there was a Liveline Hall of Fame, Paula should be in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Listening back now and following through the thread as I go. Absolutely brilliant stuff! Felt sorry for the chap who started off and thought he'd be destroyed but Paula came along and smashed all before her!

If anyone can find her, direct her towards this thread, the Paula appreciation society.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Paula was saying in public what most people I know are saying in private: that many of the alleged homeless are 'gaming the system'.
    I loved the way she saw off that freeloader, Ciaran. She let fly at him with both barrels and he vanished faster than a hot snot.
    The only surprise was that Duffy allowed her to have her say. He normally invents a 'bad line' or just cuts the caller short with a "You can't sat that".

Correct, the only way the Dufficer could cut her off ,wouldn’t have stood up.

The public knew that , the Paulster cut through them like a sharp knife.

He knew that, what he did was stall the argument while he got the ‘warter’ brigade lined up.

Luckily Paula pissed on them too.

These tools a pissing on the taxpayer, the Paulster deserves a great round of applause for coming on and cutting through the chyte .🤘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Same every night in Thomas Street with free food for all the homeless who got their houses repossessed by banks and tourists leaving the Guinness Storehouse walking by.

"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT NAME" :)

DON'T MENTION THAT NAME ON THIS SHOW" :);)

Click...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jasus Paula fairly tore them all a new one

Joe actually sounded scared lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

That's the thing though with the likes of Ciarán, he doesn't want to work (we have a low unemployment rate), he doesn't want accommodation, he doesn't want to grow up, he doesn't want the responsibility of taking care of himself

He wants lots and lots of attention, he wants social welfare money, he wants free food, free air time.

He wants to be in full view and doesn't care if it affects ordinary decent working people or tourists who pay for his lifestyle.

A lot of this "help the homeless"/taxpayer shaming is a stunt.

A lot of is funding gypsy gangs

Hence, why they want to be the centre of attention, not in a side street with the Capuchin Monks.

If this was the States, these opportunistic beggars would be regarded as freeloaders, and many of the junkies would be regarded as racist thugs.

Ciarán's a mirror image of Bob Geldof, a self important snob abusing a situation for their own ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jeff2 wrote: »

Thanks a million. Will be sending that link off to you know who tomorrow. Not that I expect much in return, but if others send it off too, you'd never know.

Appreciate you getting back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

D4bes announced that the Pope broke RTE last year. No, Dee, it’s the enormous pay-packets awarded to mediocre and talentless broadcasters of the Golden Circle that is breaking RTE and you know it.

The reason the Pope broke RTE last year was not because of any technical filming or broadcasting costs associated with the actual event but rather the cost of the staff over the duration of the visit. By my own calculations (which I published last year, based on an estimated hourly fee rate) the occasional host of Da Lahv Lahn could have taken in anywhere between €48,000 and possibly even as high as €100,000 for the week the Pope was here. That's not a typo. Throw in Fungus's producer's fees, the many other guests, not to mention the countless other hosts across Radio and TV, overtime, weekend and Sunday rates, as well as all the "ordinary" staff costs and you can see how that got out of hand very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hasn’t synced to the podcast yet. Podcast usually come out an hour after. Wonder whoy?

Was there Gold today?

Will try and listen back but ye’ll pay for it for weeks if there was!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Jeff2 wrote: »

Nice one ! My phone rang half way through just as Paula was getting her good points across

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Jasus Paula fairly tore them all a new one

Joe actually sounded scared lol

She was outstanding. Nailed every point, no getting sidetracked into non issue arguments. Suprised a sensible point was aloud be made for so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am not as regular a listener as the dedicated Duffy followers here. But I have never heard him inventing a bad line to cut people off. I have heard him interrupting calls when there is an actual bad line. You are far from the first to express surprise when he does not cut off some caller who is popular here.

I reckon it is a sort of myth which has grown up here, along with the one about him asking what colour various items are. I never heard him doing that either.

• Advertisement

I am not as regular a listener as the dedicated Duffy followers here. But I have never heard him inventing a bad line to cut people off. I have heard him interrupting calls when there is an actual bad line. You are far from the first to express surprise when he does not cut off some caller who is popular here.

I reckon it is a sort of myth which has grown up here, along with the one about him asking what colour various items are. I never heard him doing that either.

If you are not a regular listener, dude, your opinion is kind of irrelevant.

People here know what’s going on, you need to understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

25 pages of posts about 1 LL programme is pretty impressive

Sorry, they're absolutely not myths. If you were a regular listener you'd know that.

honeybear wrote: »

It's been a while ok. !

Looking back at the posts here about bad lines, they are mostly people expressing surprise that he did not cut off completed calls using the bad line excuse. Or posts anticipating live calls being cut off for bad line. No evidence of him actually doing it, when there was a good line. The same as there is no evidence for him asking what colour an item is. That is another invention by the posters here.

But the next time it happens, I will have a listen to the Podcast if anyone reports it. In the meantime I will keep reading about people being surprised that he did not use the bad line excuse to cut someone off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Listening to Paula was great, good to see someone on the show with actual facts to hand.

Looking back at the posts here about bad lines, they are mostly people expressing surprise that he did not cut off completed calls using the bad line excuse. Or posts anticipating live calls being cut off for bad line. No evidence of him actually doing it, when there was a good line. The same as there is no evidence for him asking what colour an item is. That is another invention by the posters here.

But the next time it happens, I will have a listen to the Podcast if anyone reports it. In the meantime I will keep reading about people being surprised that he did not use the bad line excuse to cut someone off.

Neither are inventions. Why do you think people are making this up or imagining it? Perhaps you’re conflating our slagging of the host with factual statements?

Your “I haven’t heard it so it didn’t happen” logic is somewhat baffling, considering you’ve already had two separate posters contradict you on this. Were it daytime you’d have many more staring they happen.

Re. bad lines, he works both ways on this: he’ll cut off a caller with whom he disagrees or who’s getting the better of him in the debate using the “bad line” or “terrible line” excuse; whilst conversely if you’re on his side of the argument the worst line ever will be allowed continue uninterrupted.

The “what colour is the _____?” was originally (in my own experience at least) a question that would be asked whenever a vehicle was mentioned. Now whilst that would be useful I’d say you were trying to find a stolen car etc., Duffy would ask it purely for filler. Then it extended beyond vehicles into lots of other areas. I’m not making this up. I am likely the person who started adding in Joe’s stupid questions by suggesting he’ll next ask “what colour is the _____?” across a wide variety of subjects and it has kind of become a thing on the thread but I assure you the host has asked it often and regularly - and mostly irrelevantly. Adding to this, as if to prove his disinterest and failure to listen to callers he’ll often be told a detail about an item is in the opening to a segment and then proceed to subsequently ask for the same information he’s already been given, example:

Caller: my blue bicycle was stolen just off Graffon Street Joe. It’s a very distinctive blue, a Raleigh bike

Minutes later:

Joe: and what colour was the bike?

Another Duffy tactic when being tackled by a caller with whom he doesn’t agree is to go to a break mid-topic/conversation and when the as break finishes switch topic completely as if the previous call hadn’t happened at all.

I don’t know why you think we’re making this up? Next you’ll be suggesting he doesn’t say “so to speak”......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do charitable off licences give cans to de poor poor people on the boardwalk putting in a hard shift drinking 7 days a week during office hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I have a feeling it will be greyhounds for the next few Livelines.

That's another thing people do here. Invent imaginary calls or even whole programmes for the next day.

There must be lots of examples of the colour thing and the bad lines in the Podcasts. But it would be unfair to ask anyone to find them. I will just have to wait for the next actual example, if it ever happens.

I recorded todays show as sometimes it doesn't go online and often the bad line comes before an ad break.

But bad line in the thread can often mean it's off to ad break and the person won't be back on which is true.

honeybear wrote: »

Ill have to listen back.There must have been something good :pac:

How was it today? In de house of de cousin who thinks Joe is a very upstanding person, as she lives near to de gliding club where I had a very hairy experience today. Went up far too quickly and nearly brought down de tug plane we were attached to. Got airsick circling round and round in de rising thermals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Duffy uses bad line regularly so you will def hear it if you listen in regularly

The tactic of him taking a break on awkward calls then going to a new topic (and no mention of last call) happens at least once a week I would estimate.

Hasn’t synced to the podcast yet. Podcast usually come out an hour after. Wonder whoy?

Took two days after Tom the country restaurant owner was on for them to put it online.

I posted here I had it recorded and asked the producer member on boards way it was not up.

I was going to upload it but they did.

• Advertisement

How was it today? In de house of de cousin who thinks Joe is a very upstanding person, as she lives near to de gliding club where I had a very hairy experience today. Went up far too quickly and nearly brought down de tug plane we were attached to. Got airsick circling round and round in de rising thermals.

The aul thermals are a killer ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

That's another thing people do here. Invent imaginary calls or even whole programmes for the next day.

There must be lots of examples of the colour thing and the bad lines in the Podcasts. But it would be unfair to ask anyone to find them. I will just have to wait for the next actual example, if it ever happens.

Ah....'tis yourself, Angus.

Now we’re “inventing imaginary calls” and “even whole programmes”?

Ok.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Field east

The reason the Pope broke RTE last year was not because of any technical filming or broadcasting costs associated with the actual event but rather the cost of the staff over the duration of the visit. By my own calculations (which I published last year, based on an estimated hourly fee rate) the occasional host of Da Lahv Lahn could have taken in anywhere between €48,000 and possibly even as high as €100,000 for the week the Pope was here. That's not a typo. Throw in Fungus's producer's fees, the many other guests, not to mention the countless other hosts across Radio and TV, overtime, weekend and Sunday rates, as well as all the "ordinary" staff costs and you can see how that got out of hand very quickly.

It’s not possible to comment , with any accuracy, on the cost to RTE of the popes visit. RTÉ had to give a ‘spin’ as to what caused the overspend. It would be of interest to know that if it did not cover the popes visit then what would have been the stations programme then and what would have been it’s cost. So, for example, if the Popes cost was €2.1 million and the alternative programme was, say €2.095 million the the net cost of the visit was €5000 - buttons compared to the €13m loss. So, who is in a position to get RTE to give the public what was the actual net cost of the visit,. Likewise for the World Cup and the ?? Name of event escapes me. So it’s over to THE Duffer or the PAC. The term SNOWFLAKE comes to mind

Field east wrote: »
    It’s not possible to comment , with any accuracy, on the cost to RTE of the popes visit. RTÉ had to give a ‘spin’ as to what caused the overspend. It would be of interest to know that if it did not cover the popes visit then what would have been the stations programme then and what would have been it’s cost. So, for example, if the Popes cost was €2.1 million and the alternative programme was, say €2.095 million the the net cost of the visit was €5000 - buttons compared to the €13m loss. So, who is in a position to get RTE to give the public what was the actual net cost of the visit,. Likewise for the World Cup and the ?? Name of event escapes me. So it’s over to THE Duffer or the PAC. The term SNOWFLAKE comes to mind

But that’s the problem with RTÉ, there’s no transparency or accountability. I’d personally LOVE to know Claddaghgreen invoiced RTÉ for that week’s work.

Mr. Duffy’s fees for the papal visit week were based on an estimate of his hourly rate based on multiple years of calculations of his annual feeez divided by no. of shows and pro-rated to an hourly rate. During the week of the papal visit Mr. Duffy reminded his audience continually that he was in the Phoenix Park all hours of the day rehearsing for the Sunday broadcast. He told us he was there “all day” Saturday and Sunday on top of all of the hours he put in during the preceding week. He may even have skipped a LL or two that week to prepare, I can’t be 100% accurate on that without checking back but I think that may have happened. He also did a tv show on the Sunday night of the visit. Are you suggesting that he did all of this for free?

If the snowflake comment is aimed at me, you clearly don’t know me or my posting style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21573261

Joe starts the call here with potential bad line from last Thursdays show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

- CCCCCCTV , what rights do you have. Possibly some dirty boyos looking at the wimmun on camera and possibly tearing the stomachs off themselves
    - the unwell/homeless , I don't want these locations near me, and whoy are they locating them in places to embarrass the government ??
    - Dublin Airport Car Park , not covered for the break ins and dat. Don't leave expensive equipment in the vehicle while you go off on the holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

was away all day yesterday, looks like i must listen back. are the good parts on the pod cast , or a watered down version ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Listening to the news. Met eireann have issued a yellow warning. 6 counties in the west have been"impacted"

It's a lovely day. That's it. Yellow warning FFS.

Will Joe be in the tv studio to help us cope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Astrology, eh?
    Must be true, then.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement