Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

estate or private site?

Options
  • 10-05-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭

im looking to buy a house soon, and i am trying to decide if i will buy a house in an estate or on a private site.

from what i have seen there is no difference in price, i grew up on a private 1 acre site surrounded by trees so there was privacy, we had neighbours each side.

what would you prefer? im leaning towards a private site as i dont really like the idea of cars driving into an estate i have a house,have had trouble with a nut job who took a dislike to me in the past and tried to intimidate me. or nosy neighbours.

also i have seen neighbours in estates at each others throats lately.

where would you prefer to live? 93 votes

in an Estate
    87% 81 votes
    on a private site
    12% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Private site all the way.

But, if you can get one close enough to the town to be connected to town sewer and water it’s a major bonus.

How about a private estate, away from the hoi polloi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Private site with the full acre if possible. You don't have to use all the extra land but it can be handy. Make sure the water source is good and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    im looking to buy a house soon, and i am trying to decide if i will buy a house in an estate or on a private site.

from what i have seen there is no difference in price, i grew up on a private 1 acre site surrounded by trees so there was privacy, we had neighbours each side.

what would you prefer? im leaning towards a private site as i dont really like the idea of cars driving into an estate i have a house,have had trouble with a nut job who took a dislike to me in the past and tried to intimidate me. or nosy neighbours.

but a massive difference in location and available services I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If I could I'd go private.

I'm living in an private estate, a lovely area but recently the council have moved three traveler families into three houses (two on my road) and they've the houses and area in bits now.

I could go on a rant, but I'll resist. The problem you have with private estates is you've no control over who your neighbors are going to be.

I've an elderly man living next door, he's been there twenty years and not a peek out of him. He's old and in very poor health, when he dies if the council buy that house I'm out of here and looking at private in north county Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Aegir wrote: »
    How about a private estate, away from the hoi polloi

Not to mention the riff-raff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

If it's just for yourself, a private site for sure.
    If you're planning on having children, a nice estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭pgj2015

lawred2 wrote: »
    but a massive difference in location and available services I presume?

maybe a few miles from the town but not a huge distance. i know sewerage and water etc can cause problems but where i grew up which is about 2 miles from town, we never had any real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Our wonderful neighbours throw their rubbish on the the street (paying for you bins to be collected??? no thanks) let their little (feral) angels out late to stand outside other peoples houses and shout, throw rubbish in, scream abuse and graffiti on our walls, park their cars right up to our front gate so we can't even get in and out of our own garden, I could go on, but it isn't even close, don't roll the dice living in an estate in dublin unless you have friends and family living there already.

i wont be living in Dublin, im a couple of miles from a town in the west of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm living in an private estate, a lovely area but recently the council have moved three traveler families into three houses (two on my road) and they've the houses and area in bits now.

That was settled people dumping their rubbish on the travellers property. Or Amish maybe, always at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In most of the country, its more expensive to buy a site and build a house but you have more input into the kind of house you want

i have no interest in building a house, i will buy one that is already built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oh, if/when I buy on a small plot I'll have to add the added expense of buying a shotgun to keep me safe from tree surgeons (all my new neighbors are tree surgeons and tarmac layers, must be part of their culture) and tarmac layers.

Oh, I'm asked almost daily if I want my gutters cleaned too.

I'll add a rocking chair too (should pick one up cheap on adverts). Me sitting in my new/secondhand rocking chair & shotgun on my front garden should do the trick.

'Up the Nally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

we live in a nice quiet estate, full of kids...a good thing as we have kids...our neighbours are sound...but what worries me about living here is things like if myself and her indoors have an argument and looking over my shoulder to check all windows are closed :)....and the dogs, we have one dog who barks a bit in notions, sometimes at night so we have to keep him quiet...and silly things like sitting on a deck chair in middle of summer out the front of your house without neighbours looking at you as they walk by...or working on your car in your drive and not worry about a mess for a day or two....things like that.

upside, to me, of an estate is the benefit of close neighbours (other side of that coin)....like house next door to us had an alarm going off inside, maybe 8 yrs ago, and i rang the neighbour, she said bust in, so myself and another neighbour did..and it was a burst water tank in attic, whole house flooded..we got water stopped but seemingly damage would have been far worse if got later.

also...when we got a dog who after a while didnt get on with cat (ok now) next door helped look after the cat.

so up and down sides for me.

think i'd be ready for a standalone plot next though...we like dogs and cats and could see us even having a donkey or chickens too...if all parties got along :)

as i get older i get anxious about things like wondering if we are bothering the neighbours in some way...if kids are fighting in house at night or dog barking...so i'd find a standalone house on a plot more relaxing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I live in an estate in a rural village. I'm right out at the front on the main road. Nice neighbours who are quiet but friendly. No tarmac contractors nearby. I live on my own so it's nice to have neighbours nearby.

I wouldn't mind a detached house on a large private site - I grew up in one - but right now I'm happy enough. The worst thing is the wooden fences between me and the neighbours are 12 year old now and beginning to rot and I have a feeling it might be hard to get the absentee landlord of the house on one side to stump up some of the cost of replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This thread is a mess. All it took was 2 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i have no interest in building a house, i will buy one that is already built.

Buy a built one in the town or on the edge, if you can't walk to a shop, school, pub don't buy it. That's the advice I was given by my bank manager, solicitor and accountant.
    I nearly bought a few miles out but they convinced me otherwise.

You said west, is the estate walking distance to the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Are you willing to maintain a private site? It's a lot more work and a bit more costly than a house in an estate. If you're into it, go for it, if you don't have the time, interest or energy or the money to pay someone to do it for you it can be a burden down the road.
    Otherwise pick the location you like more.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Ideal: detached estate, with reasonable site, in decent town.

Essential: walking distance of amenities or great public transport.
    NB Amenities to include where your children, or possible future children, will play sport, music etc and attend many many parties or social events. Otherwise you may as well buy a very comfortable car and put a taxi sign on it!

• Advertisement

100% a private site far far better than an estate.
    If it's just for yourself, a private site for sure.
    If you're planning on having children, a nice estate.

If having kids then even more so go for a private site. Wouldn’t bring kids up in an estate in a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If having kids then even more so go for a private site. Wouldn’t bring kids up in an estate in a fit.

Surely kids have better opportunity to mix and play in an estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Live in an estate currently. Looking to sell and move next year and definitely wont be buying in an estate ever again. Annoying children and inconsiderate car parking are a constant. As well as a residents association knocking on your door trying to get 40 quid a year basically to organise an Easter egg hunt

Buy a built one in the town or on the edge, if you can't walk to a shop, school, pub don't buy it. That's the advice I was given by my bank manager, solicitor and accountant.
    I nearly bought a few miles out but they convinced me otherwise.

You said west, is the estate walking distance to the beach?

good advice, i will take it on board.

no we are about 1 hour from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I currently live in an estate in the west of Ireland. Travellers in the house accross the green and to be fair they are sound decent people. You wouldn't know it was travellers theres no junk around the house.
    I've also nice Brazilian people in the house attached to my own but to be honest its a roll of the dice everytime the landlord gets new tennants next door he seems to pick louder groups of foreigners each time. The current ones drop their sweet wrappers etc just wherever they fall for the wind to take and make as much noise as possible.
    For me in the future it will definitely be a private house not in an estate.

LirW wrote: »
    Are you willing to maintain a private site? It's a lot more work and a bit more costly than a house in an estate. If you're into it, go for it, if you don't have the time, interest or energy or the money to pay someone to do it for you it can be a burden down the road.
    Otherwise pick the location you like more.

i know all about it, i grew up on a 1 acre site, my dad is always complaining that its too much to maintain especially as you get older. i am interested in gardening but wouldnt have the time to do much gardening to be honest. could pay someone to do it. a half acre site will do me id say, id be able to manage that.

it depends what kind of estate id say, like there are all kinds of estate in the town, council estates to estates where it is occupied by doctors, solicitors etc

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Surely kids have better opportunity to mix and play in an estate?

Exactly, wouldn’t want my kids hanging around the estate much prefer them in my own large private garden or just exploring a bit around the county near home, much easier to keep an eye on them. Even more so when they get older no hanging around with groups of friends etc. Friends can come over to play or they can go to friend houses plus the county is just a much nicer place to grow up. Also estate living in general is very unappealing having spent some time renting in them, tiny houses, very limited private outside space, constant parking issues, no room for garages or proper sheds etc etc.

Having grown up in the county on the farm and looking back I would have hated to have grown up in an estate it would have been crap in comparison.

I’m building beside my parents house at home myself, currently working on the plans as it’s going to be fully custom designed and can’t wait to get started on it!

Exactly, wouldn’t want my kids hanging around the estate much prefer them in my own large private garden or just exploring a bit around the county near home, much easier to keep an eye on them. Even more so when they get older no hanging around with groups of friends etc. Friends can come over to play or they can go to friend houses plus the county is just a much nicer place to grow up. Also estate living in general is very unappealing having spent some time renting in them, tiny houses, very limited private outside space, constant parking issues, no room for garages or proper sheds etc etc.

Having grown up in the county on the farm and looking back I would have hated to have grown up in an estate it would have been crap in comparison.

I’m building beside my parents house at home myself, currently working on the plans as it’s going to be fully custom designed and can’t wait to get started on it!

How far will you be from your parents house? I wouldn't fancy living beside my parents, have heard stories before about nosy parents "who was that in the red car that was at your house yesterday at 11.30?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'll miss them when there gone, wouldn't be too concerned living beside them. They know what your like at this stage and could be handy for babysitting or school runs in the future.
    I enjoy the garden beats doing the washing up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement