Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

estate or private site?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Exactly, wouldn’t want my kids hanging around the estate much prefer them in my own large private garden or just exploring a bit around the county near home, much easier to keep an eye on them. Even more so when they get older no hanging around with groups of friends etc. Friends can come over to play or they can go to friend houses plus the county is just a much nicer place to grow up. Also estate living in general is very unappealing having spent some time renting in them, tiny houses, very limited private outside space, constant parking issues, no room for garages or proper sheds etc etc.

Having grown up in the county on the farm and looking back I would have hated to have grown up in an estate it would have been crap in comparison.

I’m building beside my parents house at home myself, currently working on the plans as it’s going to be fully custom designed and can’t wait to get started on it!

Surely it's more difficult for kids to make friends in a one off housing situation?

OK if parents are from the area but blow ins really struggle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Surely it's more difficult for kids to make friends in a one off housing situation?

OK if parents are from the area but blow ins really struggle

Not really no. Kids make their friends at school and in local sports clubs. They find ways to hook up pretty easy. The problems happen when friends inevitably fall out with each other and yet cant avoid each other in the estate.

I coach underage teams and I have always noticed the country kids are generally fitter than the 'urban' estate kids. I guess they do more cycling and walking and mooching around the countryside. I even notice the estate kids are softer - for example I have had kids to my house who had never encountered nettles before!

I grew up in an estate but I now live in a house about 3 miles from a small town.

Not really no. Kids make their friends at school and in local sports clubs. They find ways to hook up pretty easy. The problems happen when friends inevitably fall out with each other and yet cant avoid each other in the estate.

I coach underage teams and I have always noticed the country kids are generally fitter than the 'urban' estate kids. I guess they do more cycling and walking and mooching around the countryside. I even notice the estate kids are softer - for example I have had kids to my house who had never encountered nettles before!

I grew up in an estate but I now live in a house about 3 miles from a small town.

My fiancé and I are both blow ins, we love our home in the countryside as its huge and cost very little in 2012, however my partner is concerned our two kids will struggle to get picked for teams etc, its so clannish, the kids go to the local playground but it's like the parents instruct the children from they are two to stick to their own

My fiancé and I are both blow ins, we love our home in the countryside as its huge and cost very little in 2012, however my partner is concerned our two kids will struggle to get picked for teams etc, its so clannish, the kids go to the local playground but it's like the parents instruct the children from they are two to stick to their own

I am a blowin too but never had a problem. What age are the kids? I have never seen or heard of underage coaches picking teams according to how many relations were in the local graveyard.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    How far will you be from your parents house? I wouldn't fancy living beside my parents, have heard stories before about nosy parents "who was that in the red car that was at your house yesterday at 11.30?"

About 100 meters or so, opposite end of the same field their house is built in so as not to be in front of another relations house the other side of the road. I’d build it right next door if it wasn’t for facing the other house.

I very much want to live close by to my parents also, very glad that it’s possoble in fact. If they were asking me “who was that car” I wouldn’t care, I’d be asking them the same :D. Also very happy to have someone watching the house and vice versa along with other neighboring relations keeping an eye out and a dead end road it’s a very secure place to live.

• Advertisement

I am a blowin too but never had a problem. What age are the kids? I have never seen or heard of underage coaches picking teams according to how many relations were in the local graveyard.

Maybe not with soccer or rugby but it certainly happens in GAA

Maybe not with soccer or rugby but it certainly happens in GAA
    I have only played and coached GAA and I honestly have never seen it. Many of the coachs are blowins.
    What county are you in? It must be a strange club to pick players based on where their parents come from. Very easy to spot in hurling and football if the best players aren't getting picked. I would report the coach if I saw that happening. I never did it or saw it in 15 years of coaching both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭NSAman

Living in an estate is not my ideal. In Ireland I live in a detached house in a detached housing estate on 1/2 acre.privacy is an issue, kids are an issue, Nosey neighbours and those who try to keep up with the jones’ are an issue.

In the States I live on a private housing estate on 15 acres, secluded, nearest neighbours are 500 mtrs away, ok, upkeep is much more, mowing takes hours but I love it. Trees falling and braches are a pain, but I love the privacy. The dogs can run, chase all types of wildlife (not too happy when they get skunked though)

I could never move back into a semi detached. My retirement home in ireland will be on a few acres and close to town. Again privacy is the issue, it’s private and that’s something I enjoy. My home(s) are a place of relaxation on getting away from people. I work with people all day everywhere numerous meetings etc. etc. when I am home I like to just relax. Having people right next door, being able to hear them would drive me crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

private site - no control on whom your neighbours might be on an estate!!!

id be very wary in these times as good neighbours are everything, good irish neighbours with generations of irish knowledge on gardening and cooking and general neighbourly ness. People who understand you r sense of humour and have read irish literature and know irish history . go for a big site out on its own in a village with nothing so no one else needs to be planted there......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

private site - no control on whom your neighbours might be on an estate!!!

id be very wary in these times as good neighbours are everything, good irish neighbours with generations of irish knowledge on gardening and cooking and general neighbourly ness. People who understand you r sense of humour and have read irish literature and know irish history . go for a big site out on its own in a village with nothing so no one else needs to be planted there......

My Irish neighbours are clannish d1cks though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

keep the racism out of the posts please folks. There will be no further warnings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Live in an estate currently. Looking to sell and move next year and definitely wont be buying in an estate ever again. Annoying children and inconsiderate car parking are a constant. As well as a residents association knocking on your door trying to get 40 quid a year basically to organise an Easter egg hunt

Terrible

Mod Note

Blueshoe, quit the trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You get the odd incident like that in the more backward villages with high levels of in breeding. But most places the coaches will pick on merit. In any case the numbers mightnt be there to allow such bogman attitudes

A private site is great if you're within twenty minutes drive of a city or big town ( 25000 plus)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If you're not into gardening, get a small private site for easier management, on the edge of a town or village, so you have your privacy but if you have kids in the future they can still walk to school/friends/activities.

I grew up on c .75 of an acre a decent walk away from the nearest village. The garden took a fair bit of maintenance at the weekends. Many's the time as a teenager I was sent out with the big heavy petrol mower to cut the lawns :)

I was also just that bit too far away to easily walk into the village on a whim, and went to secondary school in another larger town about 15 miles away, so I often felt a bit isolated. If you do have children in the future and are living in the countryside, be prepared to either chauffeur them places regularly, or prepare for them to spend a lot of time internetting or watching Netflix (or the future equivalent!) once they get too old for imaginative play.

As I get older, I think a small detached place with neighbours and a very small garden, on the outskirts of a town is what I would be aiming for. Not rural or isolated, but not in a heavily built-up area or estate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Very much depends on the estate. We lived in an estate for six years when our kids were young and we were saving for a deposit. There were a lot of rented units and social housing in it so neighbours changed a lot and there was a bit of anti social behaviour at times. There were a lot of families that let their kids run riot and I didn’t want to let my own kids out tbh.

We bought in a different estate across town a few years ago and it’s fantastic. The houses are well built with adequate parking and there is a big green area in the middle where all the kids congregate and play sports and other games. They are rarely bored and it’s very safe for them. Neighbours are generally all professionals and there is a good residents committee that looks after things. I can walk to a range of shops, pubs etc and the school is on our doorstep. While I like the idea of a private site and grew up in one we couldn’t be happier where we are.

Your neighbours make all the difference in an estate setting. If considering buying in an estate it’s important to do some research, visit the area at different times of the day / week and if you know anybody already living there ask them how they find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

on a private site
    Sorry, but due to local needs, you can't build a house there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭pgj2015

im not building, i am buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Grew up in the countryside and lived in a house about 5k outside a small town when the children were young total privacy. I use to leave the front door open all day, fablous views over the sea and habor of the small town, we had one neighbor but they could not see in to us, could have been doing naked handstands and no one would have seen you.

The thing is you might as well be a taxi having children in that situation and you have to drive for every service which can get wareing after a while dont underestimate the amount of time you will be spending in you car even something small like running out of milk mean a car trip.

Lived in two different housing estates for the last 19 years and found it very hard to get use to in the beginning the lack of privicy is hard to understand if you are not used to it. On the other hand its within walking distance of everything shops schools pubs ect, children walk to school here. If you were ever in a position of not driving you are stranded in the countryside but here it would make little distance.

The other issue is you get what you pay for in a estate of bigger older houses they have much bigger gardens, no issue with parking, and more privicey.

• Advertisement

Also there is a bit difference bewteen living in somewher like this

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/27-willow-park-avenue-glasnevin-dublin-11/4308783

Somewhere I know very well and would live in lots of privicy.

Verses

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/balgriffin/1-park-side-mews-balgriffin-dublin-2062273/

They are on top of each other no privacy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭pgj2015

im not planning on having kids so driving them places wont be an issue lol

im not planning on having kids so driving them places wont be an issue lol

Nobody know about the futuer, what happens if you get sick and cant drive as I said in the countryside you are stranded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If you're too sick to drive, you'll be unlikely to be walking to the shops.

After some operations, you can not drive for 6 weeks and they mean it you would not be covered by your insurance if you drive, also no one stays young forever they might choose to give up driving let alone eyesight deteriorating ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Honestly not true.
    Eyesight is a big problem for many elderly people. Pretty easy to walk with reduced vision, but driving is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Theres a large green area in front of my house in an estate. I think the young urchins were running a game of football from 9am to 9pm every day last summer. :D

Depends on the estate though, different places have different vibes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on what you can afford, and how much maintenance you want to have.

If the question was urban vs rural, I'm urban. Amenities, facilities, walk to a GP, dentist, tennis club, a park, shops, bus stop etc. Ease of access to hospitals, jobs, public lighting, water, electricity, internet, tv. I've a decent size garden for the city, it is a lot of maintenance. Hedges, planting , trees, grass, paving, walls / fences to be painted, gates to be maintained. The bigger the space, the more work it is to keep.

Housing estates, I could take or leave, they're a bit false / contrived for me when they are just houses. Better ones are built these days, but some of the older estates are just devoid of services. I prefer mixed development, where there are offices (jobs), shops, schools, houses, clubs all together. Not these segregated house farms where everyone sits in traffic at the estate entrance every morning and evening. It feels like the worst of both worlds, no amenities and no space. I like living on a street in a city / village with plenty of local amenities.

Also, I don't want to be a part of destroying our rural environment. Strips of bungalows and McMansions make baby jesus cry.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Nobody know about the futuer, what happens if you get sick and cant drive as I said in the countryside you are stranded.

You sell the house and move.

That's probably a sensible plan for many as they find themselves in a larger property than they need after children leave home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pwurple wrote: »
    Also, I don't want to be a part of destroying our rural environment. Strips of bungalows and McMansions make baby jesus cry.
    That's only an issue if you build or restore a derelict dwelling. Otherwise all you're doing by abstaining is fractionally reducing the market price of an existing dwelling.

Also, what is your plan for our rural environment once you've successfully depopulated it? Turn it into a savage reservation while the hipsters fly around in taxicopters between games of centrifugal bumble-puppy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement