Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

estate or private site?

Options
1235»

Comments

lostgoat wrote: »
    My question is not answered.
    How many half acres are there?

Approximately half of all houses built every year are one off. That's about 5000-6000 houses. So half an acre each, with many here saying the want/need an acre, nearly 3000 acres a year being used for building one off houses. The average farm size is 32 acres.... Relative to farm size, your point is moot.

About 11 million acres of farm land.

Also the average is about 80 acres (32 hectares).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lostgoat

About 11 million acres of farm land.

Also the average is about 80 acres (32 hectares).

Yes. You are restating what I said.

lostgoat wrote: »
    Yes. You are restating what I said.

You edited your post, you were incorrect to begin with.

You asked how many half acres and the answer to that is 22 million. How many of them could could easily be build on will be a tiny fraction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

meeeeh wrote: »
    I live next door to my parents in law. They is great and very handy for us if we need some help in the hurry or we are stuck about something. We could go a week without seeing each other but if they need someone to feed the cats I'll walk accross and they take care of our dog when needed.

I actually find those in law stereotypes a bit tiring, reasonable people will manage well, morons will fight.

Au contraire, I have seen several cases of a son/daughter choosing to live beside a parent because their parents were psychologically controlling them. And controlling behaviour quite often passes to the next generation such that the son/daughter can be controlling their partner in certain ways. Examples of psychological control include not allowing children to make their own decisions, invading their privacy and fostering dependence. Psychological control is significantly associated with lower life satisfaction and mental wellbeing.
    Not everyone obviously but it's a vicious cycle and people being controlled are often oblivious to the fact.
    Anyway....way off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Au contraire, I have seen several cases of a son/daughter choosing to live beside a parent because their parents were psychologically controlling them. And controlling behaviour quite often passes to the next generation such that the son/daughter can be controlling their partner in certain ways. Examples of psychological control include not allowing children to make their own decisions, invading their privacy and fostering dependence. Psychological control is significantly associated with lower life satisfaction and mental wellbeing.
    Not everyone obviously but it's a vicious cycle and people being controlled are often oblivious to the fact.
    Anyway....way off topic!

This tells nothing but that you like amateur psychology. Stick to your day job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

dougm1970 wrote: »
    we live in a nice quiet estate, full of kids...a good thing as we have kids...our neighbours are sound...but what worries me about living here is things like if myself and her indoors have an argument and looking over my shoulder to check all windows are closed :)....and the dogs, we have one dog who barks a bit in notions, sometimes at night so we have to keep him quiet...and silly things like sitting on a deck chair in middle of summer out the front of your house without neighbours looking at you as they walk by...or working on your car in your drive and not worry about a mess for a day or two....things like that.

upside, to me, of an estate is the benefit of close neighbours (other side of that coin)....like house next door to us had an alarm going off inside, maybe 8 yrs ago, and i rang the neighbour, she said bust in, so myself and another neighbour did..and it was a burst water tank in attic, whole house flooded..we got water stopped but seemingly damage would have been far worse if got later.

also...when we got a dog who after a while didnt get on with cat (ok now) next door helped look after the cat.

so up and down sides for me.

think i'd be ready for a standalone plot next though...we like dogs and cats and could see us even having a donkey or chickens too...if all parties got along :)

as i get older i get anxious about things like wondering if we are bothering the neighbours in some way...if kids are fighting in house at night or dog barking...so i'd find a standalone house on a plot more relaxing that way.

Donkeys don't like dogs.

Take it from me. If your dog is barking day or night, some of your neighbours think you're a pr1ck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

meeeeh wrote: »
    This tells nothing but that you like amateur psychology. Stick to your day job...

Stand up for yourself meeeeh! :D

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Stand up for yourself meeeeh! :D

I'm out.

I suspected your previous post was just a thin veiled dig. Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has failed to go back on topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement