Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2020 Babies Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

Is anyone here in the same situation we are? We live in South Dublin & are trying to put our January baby on creche lists but at the minute everyone seems to be booked out at November 2020 when my partner has to go back to work. We live in Rathfarnham & have run out of ideas!??

Hi Mickiemcfist. I'm sorry I'm not living in Dublin and have no experience in searching for a creche. I hope you get sorted?

Hope everyone is keeping well. I'm beginning to look at the bigger items on the list, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations with regards to baby monitors and the BIG one- buggy/travel system. The travel system has me completely confused. I don't mind spending the € if it is worth it, but would hate to be paying over the odds if it is just for the label and a less expensive brand would do the same job? Any recommendations or advice very much appreciated. Can't believe how fast the weeks are going now!

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Hi Mickiemcfist. I'm sorry I'm not living in Dublin and have no experience in searching for a creche. I hope you get sorted?

Hope everyone is keeping well. I'm beginning to look at the bigger items on the list, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations with regards to baby monitors and the BIG one- buggy/travel system. The travel system has me completely confused. I don't mind spending the € if it is worth it, but would hate to be paying over the odds if it is just for the label and a less expensive brand would do the same job? Any recommendations or advice very much appreciated. Can't believe how fast the weeks are going now!

Thanks a million.

I had my fella July 2018 but just my 2 cents worth
    Monitor wise we have a Motorola video one and think it was €139 in smyths . It’s brilliant it’s been a godsend
    Buggy wise I’m just not into spending money for just a label so we went with the baby elegance venti one and it’s fab . Sturdy and light . I have a bad back and it’s easy to get in and out of the car . It’s had crazy use and it’s still fine and the car seat is great that comes with it

Thanks so much Skybird, that's really helpful :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NaasTown

Our LO is 8 months old now, we bought the Venti which is a great Buggy, very sturdy and good overall quality, The down side of it though is that it's kind of heavy and takes all the space in the trunk of our car. We then decided to buy something light and not expensive. We went with Nadyu buggy (you can get that from nadyu.com), and I can't be thankful enough, it's very light, very easy to use, cabin approved and the quality was surprisingly more than great for the price, I think we bought it for 200 euros back in June.
    Bottom line, don't go for the expensive fancy ones, buy something that will serve your needs for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Thanks a million.

Re: travel systems, me & the Mrs were having major arguments about them - I could see lots online (ickle bubba etc) which were 3-500 for the full package & couldn't see the difference between these & the 1200 ones that she was admiring. Eventually I was speaking to a salesman who (at least seemed honest) and said that virtually every pram & buggy is the same, the price difference between the travel system packages 99% of the time is due to the car seat. He had a row of all their car seats in stock with the fabric off them so you could see the internals. While they're all built to the same "standard" the standard states that the belts have to hold the baby in the seat, nothing more. So the difference is in the level of padding, general comfort & additional safety features etc. So my advice would be to feel around the seat area of the car seat, check for padding etc. Some of them were glorified buckets with seatbelts. I won't recommend our one as we haven't picked it up yet but we went with the Nuna Mixx with Pipa XL car seat.

Maybe ask a toddler section on Boards as they'll have gone through it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

Finally into the last trimester today!

@MaggieMay I got the angelcare monitor with the sensor mat for number 1 and it's still going strong after 6 years, the mat gives me peace of mind. It wasn't cheap but it was worth.

I had a secondhand travel system for number one and number 2 I got a travel system from Infababy which I thought was great value- used the buggy/pram up until he was a year old and then switched to a cheap fold up umbrella stroller. I only used the car seat for about 3 months and then I bought a Joie 360 Spin seat which I adore!

BriarPatch wrote: »
    Finally into the last trimester today!

@MaggieMay I got the angelcare monitor with the sensor mat for number 1 and it's still going strong after 6 years, the mat gives me peace of mind. It wasn't cheap but it was worth.

I had a secondhand travel system for number one and number 2 I got a travel system from Infababy which I thought was great value- used the buggy/pram up until he was a year old and then switched to a cheap fold up umbrella stroller. I only used the car seat for about 3 months and then I bought a Joie 360 Spin seat which I adore!

Thanks a million Briarpatch! Congrats on the big milestone today!! Yes, one of the girls in work was raving about the angelcare monitor and mat in work yesterday, it has lasted her 8 years. I will definitely go with that. Thanks so much for the advice :-)

Hey all! Just thought I'd check in as the thread has been quiet for a little while now. Hope I'm not becoming annoying :-/ Hope everyone is keeping well?

Maggie

Hey all! Just thought I'd check in as the thread has been quiet for a little while now. Hope I'm not becoming annoying :-/ Hope everyone is keeping well?

Maggie

I'm OK, struggling with my gestational diabetes a the mo and seeing all the yummy Christmas food coming into the shops is so depressing!
    I'm finding the time is dragging and I was expecting it to fly!
    How are you Maggie?

I'm OK, struggling with my gestational diabetes a the mo and seeing all the yummy Christmas food coming into the shops is so depressing!
    How are you Maggie?

Oh no Briarpatch, awh I'm really sorry to hear that. Im not very informed about gestational diabetes, but would it be possible to talk to a midwife or your gp about how you could approach still having a treat, and what you could have- in order to have a bit of normality? Maybe they could advise you? Especially with Christmas coming. Because of course that's depressing for you. That's very hard.

I found weeks 20-30 went on forever! But since hitting 30 weeks I find the days are flying by. Im glad to finally be finished up in work. My job is pretty physically demanding, with very long hours, so I had to finish up early.

Really hope you feel better briarpatch. We have come sooooo far- the count down is well and truly on. We can do this!!

• Advertisement

When do you finish up? That's nice you'll be able to have a a lovely relaxing December and christmas assuming baby doesn't make an early appearance!
    Do you know what you're having? Apologies if you mentioned already my memory is getting awful at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Hi all,
    Another January baby here although consultant thinks it could be 2019 yet. I've also been signed off work so taking the rest and pottering about getting bag organised etc. I feel it's all a bit surreal at the minute and a little hard to believe that in a few weeks our lives will never be the same again (obviously in the best possible way)

When do you finish up? That's nice you'll be able to have a a lovely relaxing December and christmas assuming baby doesn't make an early appearance!
    Do you know what you're having? Apologies if you mentioned already my memory is getting awful at the mo!

Hi Briarpatch! Yes, definitely hoping to have a fairly quiet and relaxing Christmas. Have a few nights away organised for the next few weeks, with himself and with a few friends. Just to relax and make the most of our freedom!!! But will totally chill come mid December. Itching to do the house from top to bottom too (I'm going to thank nesting for this!).

We didn't find out what we are having. And my mind keeps changing, so I'm completely confused at this stage!! How about you guys? Do ye know?? So exciting!

Maggie

We didn't find out what we are having. And my mind keeps changing, so I'm completely confused at this stage!! How about you guys? Do ye know?? So exciting!

Maggie

No we didn't find out the gender either. When it came to buying clothes it would have been nice to know alright but I'm happy to wait at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

How are you Maggie?

I hear your cries... had a GTT at 28 weeks and my fasting bloods were elevated. I was only tested as routine because of my age so i was really shocked when i got the results back.

Been following the diet plan to the letter for the last 3 weeks but when i went back yesterday my fasting bloods were still elevated :(

Then when i saw the dietitian she put the frightners on me because i haven't gained any weight in the last three weeks so i feel like can't win now - don't follow the plan and baby is at risk from my raised blood sugars, follow the plan and baby is at risk because i'm not gaining the necessary amount of weight. Ok that's just me being a drama queen but i'm just a bit fed up with it now - like you say, it's probably all the forbidden Christmas food sending me looney!!

Anyway going back next week for the fasting bloods/breakfast/repeat bloods so i'm not sure how they'll proceed from there if my results are still elevated.

Are you on a diet plan or meds/insulin?

I've only put on 600grams in the past 8 weeks! I thought that was great and then it was disappointing when they were concerned about it. My fasting bloods are the problem too never my post meal ones. Depends how high your fasting levels are sometimes they'll just call you for breakfast club again the following week and the next step then is a blood series which is like breakfast plus lunch club!

I'm starting insulin next week, I've been dieting for 16 weeks now and my fasting level is only getting worse each time so there's no choice really, very disheartening but sure the end is in sight now so I'll survive!

I've only put on 600grams in the past 8 weeks! I thought that was great and then it was disappointing when they were concerned about it. My fasting bloods are the problem too never my post meal ones. Depends how high your fasting levels are sometimes they'll just call you for breakfast club again the following week and the next step then is a blood series which is like breakfast plus lunch club!

I'm starting insulin next week, I've been dieting for 16 weeks now and my fasting level is only getting worse each time so there's no choice really, very disheartening but sure the end is in sight now so I'll survive!

I'm guessing you are Rotunda too, because i've also been forewarned about graduating to lunch club :D:D

Yep back to breakfast club next week, then there was mention of the blood series so i guess that will be the next step.

I know what you mean, it's so disheartening when you are doing everything by the book and counting out feckin brazil nuts and weighing brown rice, you just feel like saying 'f**k it' and launching head first into a family sized Dairy Milk :D

jo2509 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are Rotunda too, because i've also been forewarned about graduating to lunch club :D:D

Yep back to breakfast club next week, then there was mention of the blood series so i guess that will be the next step.

I know what you mean, it's so disheartening when you are doing everything by the book and counting out feckin brazil nuts and weighing brown rice, you just feel like saying 'f**k it' and launching head first into a family sized Dairy Milk :D

Oh gosh yea sorry I just wrote how the rotunda do it and other hospitals are completely different, didn't even occur to me you might be going elsewhere!

I have to be honest now since she called me the other day and told me I was going on insulin I've had a couple of bold things, I was kind like ah sure the diet isn't even working for me anyway! In my defence I am having an incredibly stressful week!

:D i'm wondering now have we been chatting in the waiting room at some point!

If it makes you feel any better i was so fed up after my appointment yesterday that i had 3 chocolate digestives last night after my dinner! I know, wild times here :cool:

Back on Lough Derg diet today ;)

Hi Girls, I don't have raised levels or anything but I was watching someone who had GD previously and she said she always thought it was diet/bmi/weight related but apparently it's hormone levels.

• Advertisement

shhling wrote: »
    Hi Girls, I don't have raised levels or anything but I was watching someone who had GD previously and she said she always thought it was diet/bmi/weight related but apparently it's hormone levels.

I always thought the same! But like you say it's something to do with hormones affecting how the pancreas functions (you can tell i'm no scientist clearly :D).

Yea I'm sure mine is mostly hormones because I don't have any of the risk factors and they say if you're fasting blood is the problem its definitely hormonal. I certainly feel very hormonal most of the time!

Yea I'm sure mine is mostly hormones because I don't have any of the risk factors and they say if you're fasting blood is the problem its definitely hormonal. I certainly feel very hormonal most of the time!

Interesting about the fasting bloods being a hormonal thing... i have none of the major risk factors either (unless age a risk factor). It kinda helps to know that it's just one of those things and nothing you are doing right or wrong.

Our due month is next month now!

How's the diabetes going Jo?

Has everyone packed their bags now?!

No bag packed! House is still like a building site, am starting to freak out now slightly!

Bloods are still slightly elevated so been given a glucometer to monitor them myself, so fingers crossed i can avoid insulin for the last few weeks.

How are you getting on?

Feels a little surreal to think it's next month.
    I have planned on packing 3 bags. 1 for Labour which can be taken home after birth by hubby and then 2 small bags. 1 with baby items and one with mine. I've the baby bag packed as I washed everything about 3 weeks ago and just packed it to get organised. My bag needs to be finished tonight but it's just a case of popping last bits on top.
    I have next app next week where I may have date for section if baby is still breech.

I've only half packed my bags, it wouldn't be good in an emergency situation I don't think there's a nappy or any baby clothes in there!

I have a date for a section now so I feel like I'm not in a rush but sure anything could happen!

I've only half packed my bags, it wouldn't be good in an emergency situation I don't think there's a nappy or any baby clothes in there!

I have a date for a section now so I feel like I'm not in a rush but sure anything could happen!

What week will they give for section out of curiosity? I don't think mine do it before 39 unless medical need.

What week will they give for section out of curiosity? I don't think mine do it before 39 unless medical need.

Yea they offered me 39 weeks exactly or 39 +1 day, I didn't really want it any earlier so was happy enough with that!

• Advertisement

Yea they offered me 39 weeks exactly or 39 +1 day, I didn't really want it any earlier so was happy enough with that!

Thanks. Was just curious as my mum went early on all of us so I wonder will they take that into account for the date. Probably not.

Wow lads, this gets pretty tough as the end gets near. My body is now really starting to resent the extra weight it is having to deal with. My bump is absolutely massive- so much so that many have asked is it twins I'm having and some friends and family think we are concealing a secret that we are actually having twins!! Even a short, slow walk is proving very difficult these days as my back is in bits and legs feel like they weigh a tonne each. Really hate to complain so this is more just a little vent than anything else (sorry). How are ye all doing? Well I hope.

Wow lads, this gets pretty tough as the end gets near. My body is now really starting to resent the extra weight it is having to deal with. My bump is absolutely massive- so much so that many have asked is it twins I'm having and some friends and family think we are concealing a secret that we are actually having twins!! Even a short, slow walk is proving very difficult these days as my back is in bits and legs feel like they weigh a tonne each. Really hate to complain so this is more just a little vent than anything else (sorry). How are ye all doing? Well I hope.

Hi, Yes I've definitely found this last week or 10 days that I've much less energy and am little achy in shoulders and hips. We are on the final stretch though. Hope everyone is doing well

I was walking around lidl the other day and I almost gave up and went home. I was aching all over!

Did you get a date shliing?

I was walking around lidl the other day and I almost gave up and went home. I was aching all over!

Did you get a date shliing?

I did as baby still hasn't turned. We haven't told anyone yet as we want it to be a surprise for them. We have told them we have a scan on that date so I can't wait to share the news with them.

I did as baby still hasn't turned. We haven't told anyone yet as we want it to be a surprise for them. We have told them we have a scan on that date so I can't wait to share the news with them.

I didn't want to tell people either but I had to tell my mother as I need her to mind the kids and she didn't realise and told absolutely everyone!

• Advertisement

Any arrivals yet?

Any arrivals yet?

Still here! Ended up on insulin so booked in for induction this friday at 38 weeks. Still in denial that ill have a baby by this time next week!
    Ironically baby is measuring bang on for my dates plus bump is tiny, so much for GD causing giant babies! But im kinda happy to skip the last few uncomfortable weeks. Plus if my blood sugars can affect the baby id rather he/she out sooner than later. I wont miss Ryvita tho... or McCambridges bread.... theyre banned from the house after baby!

How are you doing?

Any arrivals yet?

Baby boy born last week. Loving being wrapped up in the newborn bubble.

Still here! Ended up on insulin so booked in for induction this friday at 38 weeks. Still in denial that ill have a baby by this time next week!
    Ironically baby is measuring bang on for my dates plus bump is tiny, so much for GD causing giant babies! But im kinda happy to skip the last few uncomfortable weeks. Plus if my blood sugars can affect the baby id rather he/she out sooner than later. I wont miss Ryvita tho... or McCambridges bread.... theyre banned from the house after baby!

How are you doing?

Ah exciting, how do you have your section booked for 38 weeks and mine is booked for 39, I have an extra week of suffering! Do you know do you go in the night before or morning of?

Baby boy born last week. Loving being wrapped up in the newborn bubble.

Ah congrats shliing! Was it a December baby in the end so? Hope you're recovering well!

• Advertisement

Ah congrats shliing! Was it a December baby in the end so? Hope you're recovering well!

Yes a December baby. Our first so I didn't know what to expect with section recovery but so far I'm flying it. Was up and moving about the next day and haven't stopped since. So anyone heading for one don't be apprehensive.

Ah exciting, how do you have your section booked for 38 weeks and mine is booked for 39, I have an extra week of suffering! Do you know do you go in the night before or morning of?

Oh sorry I'm booked in to be induced, not a planned section. So will be admitted Friday morning and they'll start the process.
    Part of me is dreading it but then as it's my first, part of me is relieved that nothing will happen until I'm in the hospital and everything is controlled ... if that makes sense.

Oh sorry I'm booked in to be induced, not a planned section. So will be admitted Friday morning and they'll start the process.
    Part of me is dreading it but then as it's my first, part of me is relieved that nothing will happen until I'm in the hospital and everything is controlled ... if that makes sense.

Sorry my fault I misread that, I just had section on my mind!!
    I had a morning induction on my first and I was absolutely terrified beforehand. Stay away from all the induction horror stories! Just prepare yourself that baby might not make an appearance for a few days, I thought mine would be born that day but the process can be long!!
    I'm sure they told you already but you need to bring your insulin meter and needles etc with you aswell

Sorry my fault I misread that, I just had section on my mind!!
    I had a morning induction on my first and I was absolutely terrified beforehand. Stay away from all the induction horror stories! Just prepare yourself that baby might not make an appearance for a few days, I thought mine would be born that day but the process can be long!!
    I'm sure they told you already but you need to bring your insulin meter and needles etc with you aswell

Oh im not expecting baby to make an appearance until Sunday.... i am preparing for the long haul!!

Oh im not expecting baby to make an appearance until Sunday.... i am preparing for the long haul!!

Best of luck anyway you never know might all happen quickly let us know the good news!

Baby girl born last Monday. Got home yesterday. We are beyond smitten with her. Currently living in a baby bubble. It's a very special time guys :-) Best wishes to all xxx

Baby girl born last Monday. Got home yesterday. We are beyond smitten with her. Currently living in a baby bubble. It's a very special time guys :-) Best wishes to all xxx

Ah congratulations! Can't wait for my time now!

Last day of January today-are all the babies here yet? My little girl is 2 weeks old today but feels like she's always been here!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Last day of January today-are all the babies here yet? My little girl is 2 weeks old today but feels like she's always been here!

Nope still waiting. But yesterday was due date so could be a while yet :P aw hope you and your little girl are doing well. :-)

Amzie wrote: »
    Nope still waiting. But yesterday was due date so could be a while yet :P aw hope you and your little girl are doing well. :-)

Ah I went over on my first and it was torture! Hope it happens soon for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement