Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planned obsolescence with smartphones.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Worztron

Basil3 wrote: »
    But at the end of the day, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I guarantee your relative didn't care one bit about future updates when buying their phone, and they would have happily used it without any issues for years.

I'm sure you have convinced them that they should be outraged, though.

Hi Basil3. We can agree to disagree on that.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Basil3. We can agree to disagree on that.

Which part?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

What phone and network? Maybe she was sold an old piece of crap by the shop? Most phones have at least 3 years of software updates/support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Plenty of well known brand phones are totally locked down - Sony, etc.

Weren't Sony the ones who embraced working with hackers and it was in fact hackers who helped them unlock their bootloaders on their own phone's not so long ago?

Which part?

The molehill part.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    What phone and network? Maybe she was sold an old piece of crap by the shop? Most phones have at least 3 years of software updates/support.

He got a Samsung phone with the Eir network.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Weren't Sony the ones who embraced working with hackers and it was in fact hackers who helped them unlock their bootloaders on their own phone's not so long ago?

I'm not aware of that. I have an old Sony Smartphone and it's totally locked down.

He got a Samsung phone with the Eir network.

If you buy the latest flagship Samsung, you will get at least 2 full Android OS updates. If you buy last year's flagship (such as buying an S9 now), you're only getting updates for another year or so.

Which Samsung did they get? They will get several years usage out of it, so don't worry. I still have a fully functioning S6 Edge+ which is now something like 3.5 years old, and it's only issues are screen burn-in and average battery life.

If you buy the latest flagship Samsung, you will get at least 2 full Android OS updates. If you buy last year's flagship (such as buying an S9 now), you're only getting updates for another year or so.

Which Samsung did they get? They will get several years usage out of it, so don't worry. I still have a fully functioning S6 Edge+ which is now something like 3.5 years old, and it's only issues are screen burn-in and average battery life.

It's a Samsung Galaxy J3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Worztron wrote:
    It's a Samsung Galaxy J3.

Entry level phone, it must be the 2017 version if its ending support. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement