Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

• 10-05-2019 4:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate stickied Season 8 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

Note - No spoiler tags required for the current episode in this thread.

Comments

Only as far as the first add break but its been brilliant so far. (IMO)

Please please please continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Enjoying it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

People actually thought there was going to be more dragons appearing out of nowhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is ****ing brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hmm, last week one ship hit a hat-trick of bolts on Rhaegal. Now the entire Iron Fleet and the walls of Kings Landing can't hit one on Drogon?

Still enjoying it though. Emilia Clarke plays paranoid/broken Dany really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I loved the scene between Tyrion and Jaime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

J. Marston wrote: »
    Hmm, last week one ship hit a hat-trick of bolts on Rhaegal. Now the entire Iron Fleet and the walls of Kings Landing can't hit one on Drogon?

I thought same but her flight path was rather well planned out. She had element of surprise they were sitting ducks once their first volleys missed.

Well, Dany is full tyrant now. Disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really enjoying this

Amazing bloody as hell. Guess the good guys were not so good in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Enjoying the episode but Euron and Jaime just happening to meet was completely ridiculous

• Advertisement

Hate when Jamie said he didn't care about the people

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Emelia Clarke actually acting very well this episode. I'm impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

So Jamie not there to kill cersei? I'm gripped what could possibly be left next week

J. Marston wrote:
    Well, Dany is full tyrant now. Disappointed.

I'm not actually. Kinda hoped they wouldn't pull punches, it's the reality of war tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thought Greyworm was going to sneakily kill Jon Snow there.

Grey worm gone nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

soap1978 wrote: »
    Grey worm gone nuts

Knows his master's mind.

What colour eyes are danys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So a battle between those loyal to the Starks/Jon and those loyal to Dany next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Mother of dragons
    Mother of f*$k

• Advertisement

Is that enough main character deaths for you now?

Massive episode

Thank you for everything Cersi, Kingslayer and of course the hound

Can't stand Arya for some reason and was hoping she would meet her end but no

1 more episode too go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Prophecy is never what you think it is in this show. Cersei died with her brother’s hands around her neck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The leaked spoilers were dead on the money. Thought it all sounded pretty stupid, but the episode actually pulled it off. Beautifully shot, all the actors really doing a good job, music was killer. Great episode, even if the plot imo was ridiculous. Well enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Queen of the ashes.

Disappointed by
    Cersei's (presumable) death, was hoping it'd be more brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

J. Marston wrote: »

Hmmm, wonder what the difference is? The fact Dany knew where the Iron fleet and Scorpions were? The fact that she knew to expect more powerful bolts? Hell, what about the fact she saw where they were aiming and was able to use the quicker dragon to dodge? Nah, has to be like it was that one time everytime, like in real life!

No, but seriously, what an episode. Some amazing, powerful moments even if some were fan service. Dany is a tryant and Jon knows it. Even her not giving Varys last words despite, a few hours ago in show time, Cersei gave Messandai a chance to say hers. Burning the lot when Kings Landing fell was horrid, emotional and great writing. Even the trailer for the next episode
    sells Dany as a tryant
    . Also, the fact her dream wasn't about the White Walkers at all, but about how she takes the throne was amazing. Nice, well written, twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

NDWC wrote: »
    Disappointed by
    Cersei's (presumable) death, was hoping it'd be more brutal

I think they made Cersei to be as sympathetic as possible in this episode. She was basically terrified for most of it. Dany was the real villain of the episode.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Even the trailer for the next episode

I (and presumably many others) don't want to hear about the trailer for the next episode. Might want to spoiler it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I really liked the episode but can't believe they did a literal 'eye for an eye' bit with the Cleganes. Not as clever as they thought.

Wheres Bronn ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Need time to digest that, second half of the episode was pure nuts. Cersei's death was a little underwhelming, I'd expected someone to do her to get revenge but no, even in death she kinda got away with it a little. And Jaime was with her to the end, suppose it fits well.

One thing that annoyed me a bit was how Jaime was still strolling around fairly fine after Euron had stabbed him in the torso fairly badly twice. He looked completely fecked after the first, but the second one looked more like a.shot of adrenaline!

Anyway don't want to pick holes too much as I was gripped. Dany has lost the plot completely, Jon must be changing his allegiance now. Lools like they're set for a showdown now but God knows how it'll all play out.

Not sure how they even approach Dany in the final episode now. Gone completely off the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I think they made Cersei to be as sympathetic as possible in this episode. She was basically terrified for most of it. Dany was the real villain of the episode.
    I still don't forgive C and J for what they did to Ned and Bran so reckon they got what they deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't even convey they the disappointment....

• Advertisement

But considering all that she's done over the last 8 seasons surely we deserved to see her get her comeuppance à la Joffrey? I feel a bit cheated tbh

The initial buzz I got from Dany taking down the fleet and the ballistas was amazing. Cos, let's face it those things were like those cheat codes everyone used to know in GTA.

Then the bells begin to ring yet she burns the entire city and suddenly you're like... um, ok that's not right.....you've won now
    OMFG you're now committing mass murder you Mad Queen!!!

I thought that was absolutely unbelievable. The acting, the way scenes were shot.

I'm sure some will come on and whinge about some nitpicking nonsense but can we all just take a moment and realise this was not a movie but a TV show, a feature length episode that was simply amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Why did she burn the place down after they surrendered? Made no sense at all, and how did Arya survive the dragon fire? She was literally surrounded by ash and charred bodies but didn't even singe her hair? Made no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭nix

I enjoyed it, mainly because literally everything got burned to the ground. But it was all completely silly tbh

It was a pretty solid episode, up until the bells rang. She attacked with pretty much surgical precision, knocking out all major defenses and opening the way for her infantry. Then just says "**** it" and kills everybody... LOL

Dany has always done what was right or what she had to do, but never ever, not once was it at the cost of innocent life for 7+ seasons. And In the space of two episodes she puts Darth Vader to shame and single handedly commits genocide on her own people and civilians of kings landing :pac:

• Advertisement

nix wrote:
    Dany has always done what was right or what she had to do, but never ever, not once was it at the cost of innocent life for 7+ seasons. And In the space of two episodes she puts Darth Vader to shame and single handedly commits genocide on her own people and civilians of kings landing

PMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

nix wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, mainly because literally everything got burned to the ground. But it was all completely silly tbh

It was a pretty solid episode, up until the bells rang. She attacked with pretty much surgical precision, knocking out all major defenses and opening the way for her infantry. Then just says "**** it" and kills everybody... LOL

Dany has always done what was right or what she had to do, but never ever, not once was it at the cost of innocent life for 7+ seasons. And In the space of two episodes she puts Darth Vader to shame and single handedly commits genocide on her own people and civilians of kings landing :pac:

she turned mad queen - I thought it was fairly obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Why did she burn the place down after they surrendered? Made no sense at all, and how did Arya survive the dragon fire? She was literally surrounded by ash and charred bodies but didn't even singe her hair? Made no sense.

In the space of a short time, she has lost Ser Jorah, one of her Dragons, Missandre; had a claim to the throne threatened by Jon; rejected by Jon as a lover; and witnessed the people of Westeros treat her as an outsider while revering Jon.

To quote the Joker from The Dark Night, "madness is like gravity...all it takes is a little push"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Everyone she trusted either died or betrayed her, she chose to rule by fear because no one loved her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

In the space of a short time, she has lost Ser Jorah, one of her Dragons, Missandre; had a claim to the throne threatened by Jon; rejected by Jon as a lover; and witnessed the people of Westeros treat her as an outsidee while revering Jon.

To quote the Joker from The Dark Night, "madness is like gravity...all it takes is a little push"
    Honestly, even if this was all we saw in the way of her "being mad" all those reasons would make sense.

However, she has literally murdered anyone opposed to her on countless occasions. She has done some pretty crazy and wreckless things (stepping into her husbands burning pyre, reacted like a sociopath when her brother was killed, made a plot to kill all the Khalsars to inherit the Dothraki etc. etc.) in the name of power. She is power-mad and it makes absolute sense for her to do what she did.

Like, say what you want about the first four episodes. I've enjoyed them but I can see the gripes. Hell, I've even agreed with some. But this episode makes sense in so many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

She knows the people will never love her so chose to rule by fear.

Only as far as the first add break but its been brilliant so far. (IMO)

Please please please continue

Just finished it there and I thought that was excellent a truly brilliant piece of entertainment.

That was gripping from start to finish and so well paced.

I really loved Cerci's finish as it showed her up to be, what she was a very immature character confused about her feelings and the only way she dealt with them was through over reactions to them.

I don't normally notice stuff so it was probably very obvious but the wildfire that went off as denarous tore down the city, obviously shows Cerci had planned to do the same if forces had gotten that far.

I'm still unsure as to who set the bell off though.

It was fantastic IMO, and thats from someone who gave the last 2 episodes major ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Looked like absolute garbage aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭nix

stepping into her husbands burning pyre

Well she was fooked anyway and she knew she couldnt burn from previous experiences, like taking the bath in the scalding water.
    reacted like a sociopath when her brother was killed

Yeah she should have been real choked up when her actual sociopath brother, who beat her, whored her out and claimed he would let the entire dothraki army rape her if it got him back on the iron throne, pretty much committed suicide swinging his sword and throwing insults at a load of savages :pac:

made a plot to kill all the Khalsars to inherit the Dothraki

a power play yes, but they all wanted to rape/kill her, and they would have if she didnt burn/kill them first, and she did so without.. guess what! without killing any innocent..

Again im not against this transition she made, i just think they should have done a more fluid progression to her getting like that.. Pretty sure her Father took a lot longer than a finger snap before he started with his bonfire parties :pac:

Also the whole thing was done superbly, visually for me at least from an understanding they didnt have an unlimited cgi budget.

They really focused on the people in the epsiode while making the last dragon an random threat (similar to the white walkers in earlier seasons)

I know the dragon and denarous had a big scene but after that it was so well done everyone in the city under constant threat of dying (again very like GOT)

And we got IMO a great death scene, when I thought they were getting away with it Jamie and Cerci died as when I saw the building start to fall I didnt think it would get to them (it was really well oppositely forshadowed)

I didnt even expect to be this far in the story this week so next week is already a head scrathcer in some ways

• Advertisement
Advertisement