Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Is the next episode 1hr 20mins or longer?

A lot has to happen before they wrap it up, I've a feeling we dont even know what rushed is yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nah, she's gone to Tir na nÓg on a white horse.

Don't layve me Sandor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Nalz wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit slow, what do you mean by your second point?

Don't you remember being a child playing with your He-Man/wrestlers/GI Joes or whatever?

You'd make up fanciful stories about how they'd get into more and more perilous situations but none of it really made sense.

A lot of "and then......!" was employed. That's this show now. A bunch of hacks writing terrible scripts to please idiots who are waaaayyyyyyyy too into the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's really not what viewers deserve nor their disappointment at plotlines not going how they expected it's disappointment the show descended into some very bad writing and galloped via a whole lot of shallow spectacle to an ending that may well define it.

There's plenty to gripe about with the last few seasons, but what I'm commenting on is posters complaining about directions they went with characters and their deaths. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it didn't make sense for the character or that it goes against how the show dealt with things for 8 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

nix wrote: »
    Is the next episode 1hr 20mins or longer?

A lot has to happen before they wrap it up, I've a feeling we dont even know what rushed is yet :pac:

Luckily a character cull has helped this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's simple. Arya planned on killing Cersei before the war could start. When the Red Keep was getting destroyed, the Hound told her it was time to leave. There was nothing she could do.

She left, she had to try and survive the destruction.

No I get that what I meant was again how does she walk out of that situation like she always does!

Like I said to me mates after instead of it being a horse waiting for her it should of been a shark! The show finally admitting that they jumped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What's Bronn going to do next episode I wonder? Surely his venture north wasn't to no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

loyatemu wrote: »
    Visually stunning episode but more holes than a sieve.

I enjoyed it despite some of the silliness and it contained what might be my favourite scene ever in the show, the final meeting with Tyrion and Jamie, maybe it was just me but I had a genuine lump in my throat watching it.

I found both the Jaime/Tyrion and the Arya/Hound scenes cheesy. Tyrion has been particularly badly written in this season, he's had very little to do and has turned into a sap.

I'm assuming Arya going to take out Dany in the final episode, but they seem to be pulling plot ideas out of a hat, so who knows.

Don’t be surprised if Brienne fast travels down to kings landing and avenges Jaime’s death by killing Danny next episode!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Cleganebowl reminded me of that stair fight from Highlander with the collapsing castle

Notorious wrote: »
    I'd be the very person who loved how GoT did the unexpected. In the last two seasons there has been a lot of fan service from the lack of any major character deaths, the forced John and Dany union, and the coupling of Jamie and Brienne. IMO they have been pandering to viewers and fans.

And while we rarely get what we deserve, I think Cersei and Jamie dying in the keep was a real cop out. A quick way to cut off the tails off their story arc. When Jamie left Winterfell I had a sneaking suspicion that he was going to be the one to take out Cersei, where as instead he just switches sides again. I think that's lazy storytelling.

Jamie was always on Cersei's side, even when he went north it was because he wanted to keep his vow and he saw that the Night King was the real danger.

For all the complaints about characters not acting how we think they should, nothing we've seen from Jamie points to him being capable of killing Cersei, especially while carrying their child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have given up hoping for a good story so I enjoyed the spectacle and cinematography of episode, Jon is still a headless chicken,Tyrion is still an idiot but Dani changing her personality so fast felt completely wrong. Jamie threw all his development over the last few episodes out the window by going back to Cersei and the Dragon is far too powerful. This show really needed another season to do this story justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

meeeeh wrote: »
    That wasn't the first battle they were in. Most would have years of war behind them.
    I'm surprised there's any northerners left to fight. Most would've been killed at the red wedding (apart from the Karstarks), the Boltons, Mormonts etc all wiped out with loads more in the Long Night battle. I suppose they're like the unsullied and dothraki and can just respawn when needed :p

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Did she ever torch thousands of innocent people before? She definitely had a tendency for violence and burning enemy's or perceived enemy's but the people were never the target. Time and again we were told she was a saviour of the people.
    In Essos she got to be a saviour because the people were literally slaves. Jorah explained to her that in Westeros the common people don't care who sits on the Iron Throne. All they want is a short winter, long summer and food and shelter for their children.

I understand a lot of people not liking how quickly she went mad but it's not something I have a gripe with. She's always been power mad and obsessed with the idea that the Throne is hers and hers alone. Even when Tyrion was trying to talk to her about succession last season she was having none of it. Getting the throne was all that mattered. I read a post on one of these threads that when the peace bells rang she was p!ssed because she wanted to burn down KL but no longer had any reason to. She still did it anyway though.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't forgot the targaryens had a history of going mad and just being tyrants. Jon is presumably saves by his Stark blood
    He's also saved by having his father's blood. Out of three siblings, Rhaegar was apparently fair and just and loved by the people. We all know how Viserys and Dany turned out. Jon has L+R blood and Ned Stark's up bringing so he has good odds of staying sane, if he lives long enough.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    While I appreciate the tonal shift over the last few episodes, I think I'm the only person on the planet who is really enjoying this season.

This episode was brilliant.
    Ya I don't know what to make of this season. The first two episodes were ok. The Long Night had it's faults but I defended it. Last week got on my nerves something rotton. I had a real bee in my bonnet about how Euron took out Rhaegal but then missed Drogon with about ten shots. That dented my enjoyment of this episode somewhat but it was still miles better than last week. Hopefully next week delivers and we go out on a high. Not many players left now so I've got my fingers crossed they can pull it off. Jon and Dany aren't the best actors and Tyrion has turned into a damp squid. I'm excited but nervous for the last episode.

Mokuba wrote:
    Again, in before the usual Nerd! Wierdo! Stop trying to be hipster by not liking it! All my friends like it and so did I!

Or just get over it. It didn't turn out how you wanted it to. Oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Arya is killing Danny next week

Arya is killing Danny next week

Is what they want you to think (imo)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's Bronn going to do next episode I wonder? Surely his venture north wasn't to no end.

Probably confirm for us that his character arc was the most pointless and dull of the entire show.

Literally 8 seasons of build up so he can sit in a garden to be used as bait, and we still have no idea why or what the point in him is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ok......

I am in the minority in that all in all I have enjoyed this season although the majority of criticism on this form has been justified. I gave it a pass because I love the show and it's an impossible task to tie it off in six episodes. However I have known it's been the weakest season by some stretch and all I wanted was not to have it tie off in a neat little bow just one more surprise I said to myself..... catch me out one last time.

I was sickened when the bells started to ring and the Lanister army laid down their swords..... The really did **** the bed I thought and I couldn't have justified it anymore....... then there was the glimpse on Danny's face and I said no way is she going to burn the city anyway..... they'd never have the balls to go ahead with something like that......

I absolutely loved it. Yes, valid criticism again that in it pretty much pisses all over her character the last eight seasons but I never really liked her so that didn't bother me at all. She has been starting to crack the last couple of episodes so it can't be said that it was completely out of left field.

I don't have it in me to read the thread because if Facebook comments are anything to go by people are losing their absolute minds over this and I can see why they would if they were routing for her all along. I liked that Varys was right all along and it's going to make for a potentially excellent last episode.

Loved the Hound and Ayra exchange towards the end and Claganebowl wasn't a let down but went pretty much how I expected it.

The only thing that I cant defend is Jamie's character. I don't think they are dead personally but if they are why couldn't they have just had him run her through...... 8 seasons of character development (and my favourite character it must be said) pissed away. I really hope there is something more to it but I think it's one ask too much.

• Advertisement

I don't know how anyone could be surprised at Dany going loco. Couldn't be any more telegraphed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

That horse scene was mad. Shocked she rode the horse in its poor condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

awec wrote: »
    Probably confirm for us that his character arc was the most pointless and dull of the entire show.

Literally 8 seasons of build up so he can sit in a garden to be used as bait, and we still have no idea why or what the point in him is.

Bronn not Bran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Ya I don't know what to make of this season. The first two episodes were ok. The Long Night had it's faults but I defended it. Last week got on my nerves something rotton. I had a real bee in my bonnet about how Euron took out Rhaegal but then missed Drogon with about ten shots. That dented my enjoyment of this episode somewhat but it was still miles better than last week. Hopefully next week delivers and we go out on a high. Not many players left now so I've got my fingers crossed they can pull it off. Jon and Dany aren't the best actors and Tyrion has turned into a damp squid. I'm excited but nervous for the last episode.

I'd agree on Jon, the guy has one setting. Browbeaten.

But I would disagree on Dany. I think she stepped up and ahead of most, if not all the cast this season.

That is partly due to a lack of good material for other characters. Cersei has been reduced to resting bitch face 90% of the time, except for her final scene where she was brilliant. Tyrion's material is weak, same with Jaime, except for their farewell. But I don't think that should take away from Emilia Clarke. I got chills during this scene...

tH1Rqlwl.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't know how anyone could be surprised at Dany going loco. Couldn't be any more telegraphed.

Her going a bit mad is not that surprising, but the scale of it doesn't really tally. I think her completely destroying the Red Keep would have sent a clear enough message that she's insane, but not ruined her whole story arc. Maybe even kill a lot of surrendering soldiers and stuff.

She's always been impulsive, making wrong decisions, and prone to snap, but she has never shown signs of being willing to kill thousands of innocents just for the craic.
    ziedth wrote: »
    Bronn not Bran

Misread.

Think Bronn is done with the show. What is he going to do? Saunter up to Tyrion and ask for Highgarden?

Her going a bit mad is not that surprising, but the scale of it doesn't really tally. I think her completely destroying the Red Keep would have sent a clear enough message that she's insane, but not ruined her whole story arc.

She's always been impulsive, making wrong decisions, and prone to snap, but she has never shown signs of being willing to kill thousands of innocents just for the craic.

Misread.

Think Bronn is done with the show. What is he going to do? Saunter up to Tyrion and ask for Highgarden?

I think so too. But that begs the question why he was in this season at all. The answer to that question is everything that is wrong with the season

Heat_Wave wrote: »

When Arya fancies a ride she won't take no for answer:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The show has just become incredibly dumb, and that's awful hard to see.

It's still fantastically well shot, directed, produced, acted etc, but the writing has more inconsistencies and laughable moments than any top tier show like this that I can remember. D&D have made it all a bit Marvelesque just to speed things up and be done with it.

It's like the show has Alzheimer's. Contrast between the first few seasons and now in terms of the quality of writing is stark. The level of effort that has been put into the show previously feels like all for nothing when you see how some of the characters and storylines have been butchered.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'd agree on Jon, the guy has one setting. Browbeaten.

But I would disagree on Dany. I think she stepped up and ahead of most, if not all the cast this season.

That is partly due to a lack of good material for other characters. Cersei has been reduced to resting bitch face 90% of the time, except for her final scene where she was brilliant. Tyrion's material is weak, same with Jaime, except for their farewell. But I don't think that should take away from Emilia Clarke. I got chills during this scene...

tH1Rqlwl.jpg
    Emilia was great this week and last but I could never warm to Dany. I really wanted to like her because she came across much more interesting in the books but I found Emilia's portrayal almost robotic (not as bad as Bran though lol). Jon is good in battle scenes but in general episodes he's weak. I liked him with Ygritte. She was brilliant. I never felt any chemistry between Jon and Dany. They haven't been strong enough to be two main characters for the last two seasons. Earlier characters like Joffrey and Tywin put them to shame. You didn't have to like those two but you certainly paid attention when they were on screen. It's too little to late with Emilia. She's had eight seasons and only really delivered the last two episodes (yes I know that's only my opinion before anyone gets triggered :pac:).

• Advertisement

Her going a bit mad is not that surprising, but the scale of it doesn't really tally. I think her completely destroying the Red Keep would have sent a clear enough message that she's insane, but not ruined her whole story arc. Maybe even kill a lot of surrendering soldiers and stuff.

As well as the innocents, won't she have killed loads of Northerners, unsullied and Dothraki? She burned half the city, loads blew up with wildfire and the rest would've burned from the fires. That's not smart at all but I'm sure they'll somehow survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is what they want you to think (imo)

It'll be sansa v dani in a foxy boxing tournament

Obviously cant deal with all of this but some responses to the less pedantic and more thought through points
    Mokuba wrote: »
    Here we go again.

To start - Just like the people crawled out of the woodwork saying "We knew Arya was going to kill the Night King for years - Blue Eyes!!", we have people claiming that Dany's madness was foreshadowed for years and we weren't paying attention. That is absolutely wrong. Dany has never once murdered an innocent before, in fact, she hasn't done much wrong in general. She killed people who were objectively committing atrocities - mainly slavery. She murdered enemies who refused to bend the knee as all other rulers in Westeros have done.

'Innocent' is an interesting word to use to delve into what you believe her thought process was over the past seasons, as another way to look at it is that she never murdered people who bent the knee or did what she said. You're also completely ignoring the numerous times she was talked down from committing mass destruction similar to what we saw in Kings Landing, practically at every stop along the way. Did you not believe her?
    Tywin Lannister had Elia's children killed and Elia raped and murdered - not mad! Dany kills a few Dothraki who were trying to enslave her and gang-rape her - CRAZY! LOOK I TOLD YOU SHES CRAZY SEE! The slavers in Mereen betray their agreement to abolish slavery and attack, so she kills them - LOOK! CRAZY! She locked up her dragons (children) for killing one child! People are trying to attribute morality as we know it to her actions in a medieval time. Absolute utter nonsense that she was capable of this, and people acting smug about it too! What Dany did in the last episode was the worst atrocity in the history of Westeros. Let that sink in. The worst atrocity in the entire history of that universe.

Arya fed a man his own children after taking the time to skin and cook them. She smiled as he ate them and slit his throat. She cut off his face and wore it while she poisoned the entire extended Frey family, some of whom surely had nothing to do with the Red Wedding or were just following orders. That is more despicable than anything Dany has ever done, by far. Is Arya not the one whos madness was telegraphed?

You seem upset by the words madness or crazy, but when you look at it objectively what she did was the only way she had any chance of sitting in the iron throne and holding power. The fact that she is willing to kill all those people shows she isn't right in the head nor a 'good' person, but looking at it through the world they're in it is a means to an end (like the other questionable actions you mentioned). She is out of friends so all she has now is fear.
    The most unforgivable of all - the character assassination of Jaime Lannister, or how to undo 8 seasons of character development in one episode. The same man who broke down in the bathtub to Brienne when telling her how he had to kill Aerys to save the people, who asked Brienne if she would have stood by when innocents were about to be killed - that same man now doesn't care about the people. Who jumps into the bear pit for Brienne, who abandons Cersei to fight for the living.

People were like, the only reason he is going to Kings Landing is to kill Cersei! Nope, he is "addicted" to her and tosses away all 8 seasons of his development.

As I posted already, he wants to be a good man but Cersei trumps everything to him and he has repeated it over and over again. Did you not believe him? He went north because he knew the threat was from the Night King but was always going back to her.

For the people who thought he was going to kill Cersei, what possibly led you to believe that? Brienne was so good in bed that it knocked some common sense into him? He stood by Cersei through everything she did and, with her doing nothing new in the terrible stakes, now he's just going back to kill her and his unborn child?

Literally 8 seasons of build up so he can sit in a garden to be used as bait

This would only work with Bronn if the enemy was the Sand Snakes:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Misread.

If you're gonna go mad, might as well go full on mad...

Dani spent a full season trying to win back the love of the slaves she freed. She has just lost the love of her entourage and couldn't be dealing with years of plebs complaining about not having enough chicken feed. Burn them all is the only sensible option.

Heat_Wave wrote: »

Poor condition? That horse was ****ing gorgeous.

• Advertisement

I'd say Cersei may have been regretting not keeping Missendei visible in the Red Keep, or even like strapped to the roof to lure Dany in and have some of those machines pointed there.

She caused her own death by needlessly executing what she believed to be a translator and a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I'd say Cersei may have been regretting not keeping Missendei visible in the Red Keep, or even like strapped to the roof to lure Dany in and have some of those machines pointed there.

She caused her own death by needlessly executing what she believed to be a translator and a friend.
    Maybe she was hoping that Dany would attack right then without support due to the anger or make some error.

Maybe she was hoping that Dany would attack right then without support due to the anger or make some error.

She didn't need support.

One dragon destroyed the entire Iron Fleet, all of the elite mercenaries and all of the cities defenses in about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

To be honest I just think D&D underestimated the audience's attention span and intelligence this entire season. The production has been great and the acting too, but ****in hell this plot could've been written better by a 6 year old.

Soooo many holes, so many ridiculous character arcs and useless plotlines (we went through 7 years of Bran becoming the 3 eyed raven and Hodor existing for essentially nothing). I mean was anyone really surprised by Daenarys turning into the mad Queen? We'd been warned right from the beginning by Robert and if you paid any attention the past 3 episodes you could see her falling rapidly. Her flying around burning up the whole city didn't surprise me one bit tbh.

I'm more angry at all these things they left unanswered and never will be. At least Azor Ahai is on though, I really hope Jon kills Daenarys now.

To be honest I just think D&D underestimated the audience's attention span and intelligence this entire season. The production has been great and the acting too, but ****in hell this plot could've been written better by a 6 year old.

Soooo many holes, so many ridiculous character arcs and useless plotlines (we went through 7 years of Bran becoming the 3 eyed raven and Hodor existing for essentially nothing). I mean was anyone really surprised by Daenarys turning into the mad Queen? We'd been warned right from the beginning by Robert and if you paid any attention the past 3 episodes you could see her falling rapidly. Her flying around burning up the whole city didn't surprise me one bit tbh.

I'm more angry at all these things they left unanswered and never will be. At least Azor Ahai is on though, I really hope Jon kills Daenarys now.

I want to agree with the bolded but when so many are completely shocked about Daenary's choices, I'm not sure what would have happened if there was something more complicated or surprising added in.

When the show went past the books and reached a certain size audience they just played it relatively safe, went formulaic, and appears just sidelined pieces of the plot they didn't feel bothered with closing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ok. So. Daenerys.

I've read through all the comments, and the biggest justification for her switch is that the signs were there all along, she was already violent etc.

That's true - this clearly has been the ultimate ending planned. There were plenty of signs hinting towards it. That's grand.

But the jump between where she was not long ago, and where she switched to last night was too much, too soon. It needed to be earned within her character, but it wasn't. It needed a full extra season's worth of dedicated character progression.

Looking at it from a blunt plot point of view, people point to; "she suffered great loss, and snapped", but just think about the practicalities of that from an emotional point of view: What would it take you to go outside and murder a bunch of random strangers? That's the leap we're talking about. Not just having a mental breakdown, not just having a huge mood swing, or a self destructive episode, but actually becoming a murderous psychopath on a vast scale.

This was a woman who we've seen go through incredible trauma - bred to be sold by her brother, then losing her husband, and her unborn baby. Her entire story and character from that point has been based around stopping this sort of thing happening to innocents. She's had incredibly brutal and violent instincts since then, but always always in service of the greater good.

Her switching to a psycho wasn't the disaster, that switch is a really interesting choice for the story viewed in the wider context - but them not providing enough of the in-between character changes required to be in any way even remotely realistic and earned was pure laziness/rushed storytelling. We needed to see her start to show malice and violence on a smaller scale towards generally innocent people without a clear greater goal at the heart of her actions. Like, for instance if Dickon Tarly had bent the knee as his Dad wished, and she burned him anyway saying the whole family were traitors, that would have been a great little character builder. But they didn't do that. Or anything like that.

They did all the broad thematic setup, and the foreshadowing - but not the nuts and bolts character change and development required for such a monumental change in personality and behaviour. In short order, they turned her from a ruthless but pragmatic Roose Bolton into full on crazy Ramsey Bolton.

Agree with all of this.
    The issue isn't that she went mad, the writing has been on the wall there, the issue is that something that should have been delicately played out over a season or two happened in 2 episodes. You can point to the slavers or whatever, but that's a far cry from going nuclear on a city and all its civilians after the war was already clearly won. She's obviously always had a temper, but it was previously always informed by a sense of justice and wanting to do the right thing, even if it didn't always work out that way. She even locked up her dragons in a dungeon after they burned one innocent child. The show in the past has been great at a slow burn, but this felt rushed, so while it was visually spectacular and there was some catharsis in seeing Cersei's forces so completely overpowered, it didn't have a huge amount of bite as a pay off for me. When you compare it with Cersei's slow unravelling over a few seasons, it doesn't have the same impact, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PressRun wrote: »
    the issue is that something that should have been delicately played out over a season or two happened in 2 episodes.

aka Gotham syndrome - a promising story arc ruined by doing everything so fast it's like the world ends in 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I think it would have been a bit better if Dany attacked the red keep directly to get cersai once bells rang. Then could have her lose control from that and have her destroy the city and people in order to kill a hidden cersai in a couldn't stop once she started type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Time and again we were told she was a saviour of the people.

If that didn't immediately set off alarm bells for you comrade, then I can recommend some movements that will not leave you with the ability to be disappointed!

They made a point to show that green fire (wild fire?) exploding as Dani scorched the place, perhaps implying that the 'innocent' had planned to target soldiers that broke through the last lines of defense.

That's not to say they deserved to be killed, but it does blur the line in terms of their complicity and how far they intended to go in protecting their Queen. Quite far it seems.

A shame they managed to make a balls of previous episodes, and this one in many ways, yet had the time to add some nice details and symbolism like this in a brief shot.

(Or else they thought it would just look nice, and put zero thought into the implication of wild fire exploding in the inner city, which a strong case could be made for! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hobosan wrote: »
    They made a point to show that green fire (wild fire?) exploding as Dani scorched the place, perhaps implying that the 'innocent' had planned to target soldiers that broke through the last lines of defense.

That's not to say they deserved to be killed, but it does blur the line in terms of their complicity and how far they intended to go in protecting their Queen. Quite far it seems.

I'm sure they were the untouched caches of wildfire that her father had planted throughout the city.

She ended up completing her father's twisted plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

PressRun wrote: »
    The show in the past has been great at a slow burn, but this felt rushed, so while it was visually spectacular and there was some catharsis in seeing Cersei's forces so completely overpowered, it didn't have a huge amount of bite as a pay off for me. When you compare it with Cersei's slow unravelling over a few seasons, it doesn't have the same impact, imo.

People are going to have to accept that the show's pacing for better or worse had changed for a few seasons now. Within that context, the change while shocking is less jarring. She also snapped while controlling a dragon! Things would have panned out differently if she had snapped in more sedate circumstances.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm sure they were the untouched caches of wildfire that her father had planted throughout the city.

She ended up completing her father's twisted plan.

I can't remember that being mentioned previously. Fair play for remembering a small detail like that.

The fact the writers remembered such a detail, yet are content with so many other major inconsistencies and coincidences is hilarious.

I might just pretend that they found the wildfire and used it as I said previously, and that Euron was battered against the rocks by the waves as Jamie strolled into the dungeons, among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Just watched the latest epsiode.

Im nothing but furious,

First half before the siege was good enough, all went down hill after that.

Jamie with one of the biggest redemptions arc's in the show gets stabbed each side by euron, tbf a nothing character here in the show, manages to walk to the top of the main hall of KL to the map.
    Then brings herself to a blocked off way out.
    And Boom they just die.

Brings me on to Cersei,
    What a great Bitch she has been, i mean thats been superb acting by her all the way to this season and then she dies a flat death aswell.

The CGI, what was up with the horrid cgi. As soon as Grey Worm got his enemy the first time with the spear and it was obvious hiw bad it was i wasnt hopefull.

Cleagnebowl, a fans favourite upcoming event since we got the idea it would happen.
    They did not do it any justice, zero at all. So disapointed. Was done so poorly.

This season has ruined it for me of being the top pedestal on pedestal upon shows.

The two year break has killed them. Serious poor cgi, characters getting a rushed death while others, like at winterfell will be rushed again the next episode and then its done.

Just pissed off to be honest. I havent been satisfied this season at all as a viewer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

ziedth wrote: »
    The only thing that I cant defend is Jamie's character. I don't think they are dead personally but if they are why couldn't they have just had him run her through...... 8 seasons of character development (and my favourite character it must be said) pissed away. I really hope there is something more to it but I think it's one ask too much.

I understand being disappointed at his arc but some of the criticism makes it sound like Jaime became a traitor. He didn't take up arms against the "good" guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement