Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Hobosan wrote: »
    They made a point to show that green fire (wild fire?) exploding as Dani scorched the place, perhaps implying that the 'innocent' had planned to target soldiers that broke through the last lines of defense.

That's not to say they deserved to be killed, but it does blur the line in terms of their complicity and how far they intended to go in protecting their Queen. Quite far it seems.

A shame they managed to make a balls of previous episodes, and this one in many ways, yet had the time to add some nice details and symbolism like this in a brief shot.

(Or else they thought it would just look nice, and put zero thought into the implication of wild fire exploding in the inner city, which a strong case could be made for! )

I thought of it as the wildefire was made for the battle of blackwater
    The first meistor knew of it and knew it was underground so could of been some lost storage.
    Also could of been leftovers of the battle of blackwater.
    Or leftover of the burning sept of balor.

Im sure plenty of it was left underground and not above as it was to tempermental

vetinari wrote: »
    I understand being disappointed at his arc but some of the criticism makes it sound like Jaime became a traitor. He didn't take up arms against the "good" guys.

What he did two episodes ago to where he ended up in the latest was a maseive step for me. Made no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hobosan wrote: »
    I can't remember that being mentioned previously. Fair play for remembering a small detail like that.

The fact the writers remembered such a detail, yet are content with so many other major inconsistencies and coincidences is hilarious.

I thought that it was the stuff left there by the mad king too. That's why Jamie killed him, to stop him burning kings landing and killing everyone. It was a pretty big detail to be fair and not some minor plot point. It's the reason he was killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Interesting we never see a close up of Dany during her mad run.

Was she crying doing it or enjoying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I thought that it was the stuff left there by the mad king too. That's why Jamie killed him, to stop him burning kings landing and killing everyone. It was a pretty big detail to be fair and not some minor plot point. It's the reason he was killed.

I'm still using floppy discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Interesting we never see a close up of Dany during her mad run.

Was she crying doing it or enjoying it?

A friend mentioned a hilarious idea today - if we see the burning from her POV next episode, and see that her eyes are warg’ed out, and Bran is controlling her from afar! Pure evil puppet master Bran, stirrin’ **** up!

Obviously not the case, but to be honest I’d prefer it to the reality! Even has more motivation than the reality too... could either be that the 3 eyed raven thing is a malevolent force, or could even be Bran using this as a way to turn people against Dany, so Jon is forced to become king. Bran can always justify **** with “I have seen he is the king we need”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

exx1Tox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Arghus wrote: »
    It was a spectacular episode of television to look at, but Dany's sudden heel turn wasn't the least bit earned, nor was Cersei's sudden disintegration into a simpering fool and her and Jaime's death were so throwaway to be practically insulting. A lot of the internal logic went out the window in this episode - it was a total rush job: under-cooked and over-stuffed. I know the show has been in decline for the last few seasons, but I'm genuinely gutted that this is the way it's looking like it's going to go out: spectacular, but totally unsatisfying illogical bollocks.

I liked how Cersei was played in this episode; as Tywin told her before her problem is that she's not half as smart as she thinks she is.

She thought she had Dany twigged and that she'd play by the good guy rules only for Dany to out do her in the nutter stakes.

Once that happened we saw the real Cersei - an idiot in way too much out of her depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A friend mentioned a hilarious idea today - if we see the burning from her POV next episode, and see that her eyes are warg’ed out, and Bran is controlling her from afar! Pure evil puppet master Bran, stirrin’ shut up!

Obviously not the case, but to be honest I’d prefer it to the reality! Even has more motivation than the reality too... could either be that the 3 eyed raven thing is a malevolent force, or could even be Bran using this as a way to turn people against Dany, so Jon is forced to become king. Bran can always justify **** with “I have seen he is the king we need”.

So Dany for 40 mins is yelling DROGON STOP WTF :D

If Dany has is to die then Drogon has to be killed too. Only Bran could probably take him out unless Drogon starts listening to Jon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bit disappointed Jamie's charecter arc story for 8 seasons was all for nothing? Cersei essentially gets a happy ending per se, surely a charecter that deserved to die by a sword.

The show sure has loved foreboding, how many times has dany said/people around her said that she would never be like her father? Then bam she does exactly what he set out to do and torch the city.

I enjoyed the episode all in all, yeah the writing and plot lines have gone wayward but you can't deny it was a hell of a spectacle.

Cleganebowl too, woo!

Knight king and Daenyres something in common. Melisandre ya sly 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The mountain reveal was hilarious.

This show died with the night king

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

At least jamie and cersai will be safe under that big pile of rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Does anyone know what the significance of Varys was with the letter and the child at the start of the episode. Who was he trying to inform and did he not burn the letter before he was taken away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Does anyone know what the significance of Varys was with the letter and the child at the start of the episode. Who was he trying to inform and did he not burn the letter before he was taken away?

It'll be about as significant as Bran waging during the Battle of winterfell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not reading anything into that at all.

At this stage I'd just assume it's the writers way of literally spelling out that he is a traitor.

I think it's redundant anyway, the entire north probably knows by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Who needs dialogue and a plot when you have dragons and fire eh? :(

When I think back to the weeks of scheming between Olenna, Varys, Littlefinger, Tywin, Tyrion and compare it to this Michael Bay "pew, pew"-fest it really is disappointing how it has changed as a show.
    Feels much more dumbed down and very much rushed to completion, at the expense of everything bar expense itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I think it is just another piece of the story that was a dead end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

irishfeen wrote: »
    So as Jon is a Targaryen can he not be killed with fire?

That would be an odd trait to apply to all Targaryens just because of their bloodline? They are human after all. No other humans have special powers, unless you count wargs?

I'm trying to rationalise a lot of what happened in that episode, but it's hard.

Hound and Mountain die at each other hands, as it should be.
    Jamie and Cersei die in each other arms, which is fine - dead is dead. She gave up everything for power, and she died powerless. Fine.
    Varys died trying to do the right thing, to poison the queen and probably sending messages back to Sansa to ensure Dani doesn't catch them by surprise. He stood by his principles and died for them.
    Dani has seen two of her children, and her two closest friends die. The man she thought loved her probably just loves her as a queen (and aunt!). The only people loyal to her are murders and barbarians. So she had nothing left to be positive for. She'll happily rule over ash and dust.

The Euron and Jamie meeting and fight irritated me. Too convenient and pointless. Jamie was going to die with Cersei anyway. Just let Euron due on his ship (like a true Ironborne) instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not arsed reading through the whole thread, but the single take camera following Arya's frantic escape was brilliant.

Think the last time they used a single take like that was during the Battle of Castle Black.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I was full sure Cersei had something else. When Qyburn picked up the WWs hand last season I thought he was going to make his own army of them or something :o

I loved how they switched everything...waiting for the enemy with a sense of not knowing what to expect.. Exactly how the good guys waited for the bad guys at Winter fell.. All of a sudden the good guys look like the enemy. Ayra trying to battle to kill Cersei just like Jon Snow battled to get to the night king and failing.

Cersei was right not to offer any allegiance to that fruit cake.

I hoped for a better death for her.. But I suppose with her being pregnant they couldn't really be too vicious with her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I think that episode was a vast improvement on the last two and for one particular reason. This is the ending they've been working towards. This is what all the rushing and careless plot manipulation has been for. How they got here over the last two seasons was terrible and frankly unforgivable but at least now they're here, they were able to do this part properly at least.
    Having said that there were still flaws:

1- Tyrion continues to be a moron. The writers clearly don't know what to do with him or what his actual point is. In the absence of any other plan, they have tried to make him Dany's conscience, to stem her bloodlust. If he had achieved that, then perhaps we could say he had a point but he failed in that as he has failed in pretty much everything since he fled Westeros.

2- Still too rushed. I buy Dany's character arc. I think it makes sense to the story and to her personality. The moment when she roasted alive Sam's father and brother it was clear she was not the hero. As Sam said, Jon would never have done that. However, in the context of an 8 season series it felt too hurried. Her descent into madness could have lasted a whole 10 episode season.

3- I kept wondering how Dany and Drogon would counter the ballistas that so effortlessly killed rhaegar last week. Dragon armour? More dragons? No, she just sort of flew better or something. Last week she was a sitting duck in front of these things, this week she can fly amidst dozens of them and remain untouched. Bit weird.

4- Did not like how The Mountain appeared underneath the armour. Looked like Uncle Fester.

Ultimately, these flaws are nowhere near as damaging as the ones in the last two episodes where characters did things you'd never imagine they could do. Everything felt right and the brutal destruction of Kings Landing seemed true to GoT's essence. I also thought Jaime's end was perfect and, kinda, beautiful. Completely true to his character.

Varys' death was also well executed. His line to Tyrion, "I hope I deserve this. I hope I'm wrong" was the line of the season for me.

And, as always with Sapochnik, a beautifully directed episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Up until now I didnt buy into the bad writing complaints, once they went past the books everyone would have a different opinion of how things should go, and you can't please everyone.

But Varys...

Varys spent over 15 years as Master Of Whispers to Robert Baratheon after saving Vicerys and Dany from the rebellion. In that time he plotted to return them to the throne, but when it came to it he still sent assassins after them to keep his mask on and protect his own life.

Then within days of finding out about Jon Snow he abandons all rationale and cunning, and is fairly blatant about his treason. Disappointing.

Anyone think him taking off the rings is in any way significant?

I hoped for a better death for her.. But I suppose with her being pregnant they couldn't really be too vicious with her?

I don't really understand this argument. They had no problem having Robb Stark's pregnant wife being stabbed repeatedly in the stomach during the Red Wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

vetinari wrote: »
    I understand being disappointed at his arc but some of the criticism makes it sound like Jaime became a traitor. He didn't take up arms against the "good" guys.

Now that I have had time to digest it and I I view it as he was going back to save Cersei (by escape?) and not fight for her (although his vow was to fight for the living nit to fight for the queen).

Its disappointing and I think a better end to the arch would have been him getting killed in Winterfell. I don't think they needed the scenes
    with now Brieanne either. I think it would have nearly worked better if he just rode off having defeated they knight king. It isn't as bad as I had thought just somewhat disappointing.

I loved that Cersei cracked before she died as Tywin even said she wasn't as clever as she thought she was and to watch her slowly realise that through facial acting was excellent. Bar the last two episodes where she has done quite well Emilia Clarke is some why off Lena Hendley as an actress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Foxtrol wrote: »
    There's plenty to gripe about with the last few seasons, but what I'm commenting on is posters complaining about directions they went with characters and their deaths. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it didn't make sense for the character or that it goes against how the show dealt with things for 8 seasons.
    It's not what people like or dislike. Sure the evil maniac thing lurked within her and it was always a possibility but that path was not properly developed unless you mean the sulking and pouting they've had her do for two seasons. It's a writing and plotting issue and that has been done far too fast and quite badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

ziedth wrote: »
    Now that I have had time to digest it and I I view it as he was going back to save Cersei (by escape?) and not fight for her (although his vow was to fight for the living nit to fight for the queen).

Its disappointing and I think a better end to the arch would have been him getting killed in Winterfell. I don't think they needed the scenes
    with now Brieanne either. I think it would have nearly worked better if he just rode off having defeated they knight king. It isn't as bad as I had thought just somewhat disappointing.

I loved that Cersei cracked before she died as Tywin even said she wasn't as clever as she thought she was and to watch her slowly realise that through facial acting was excellent. Bar the last two episodes where she has done quite well Emilia Clarke is some why off Lena Hendley as an actress.

For Jamie, Brienne represented honour, something he's wanted to recover all his life.

Anything horrible or dishonourable Jamie has ever done has been for Cersei. You could argue Jamie and Brienne getting it on was Jamie finally securing the honour he's craved all his life, but when he got it he still gave it up for Cersei. I think their ending was fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cursai wrote: »
    exx1Tox.jpg

urmm... well... I don't get it

however there's never a wrong time to put up a picture of Kate Beckinsale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LOOK HERE EVERYONE THIS LAD VARYS HERE IS A TRAITOR

TIME FOR DRAGONS

DRACA.... gah I don't care anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

For Jamie, Brienne represented honour, something he's wanted to recover all his life.

Anything horrible or dishonourable Jamie has ever done has been for Cersei. You could argue Jamie and Brienne getting it on was Jamie finally securing the honour he's craved all his life, but when he got it he still gave it up for Cersei. I think their ending was fitting.
    Yeah, I wasn't mad on the Brienne hookup but it worked as a representation of an alternative for Jaime. But he couldn't do it. Despite having potential happiness presented to him, he still chose to go back and die with Cersei. And that made sense I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yep they did. However, there is a demographic in the US who would take extreme offence to it.

What demographic and why would they take offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Totally agree with this and it’s the way I’ve seen it play.

Jamie has been sleeping with his twin sister since for 20plus year, had children and went to drastic measures to keep this a “secret”. Everything he done was for her and their children up to a point. He was then pushed away and tried to find redemption. The last time he tried to do good earned him the label of Kingslayer that was a burden rather than the honour it should have been.

He wanted to do the right thing, going North was done reluctantly after been rejected again. He thought he’d feel different and had found new love. But basically went it became apparent that Cersei was facing death and Dany was hell bent on it, the pull was too strong. His feelings came back and he had to act.
    Like an addict, he knew what he really wanted and he went after it, against his better judgement and what was the safe, easy option.

I’m not buying the pregnancy either. To me it was Cersei’s manipulating of both men andnused to the last to save her herself. It was as if to force Jamie into saving her somehow.

I think their ending was apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I really don't get all the negative reaction to Cersei and Jaime. It was a fitting end for both. It was a bittersweet end for Jaime; he never went back to save Cersei, he went back just to die with her. It doesn't undo the fact that he became a better man over the course of the 8 seasons. He had a brief taste of that 'other' life he could have lived (with Brienne), but he didn't want it in the end. Cersei is his destiny, really. It doesn't mean he condones everything, or anything she does, but his infatuation is so intense that it blinds him to all logic and reason.

He said it himself - it was his love for Cersei that made him the cruel man he was - and arguably is still capable of being, because of her. It was only that ham-fisted scene with Bronn (I guess we now know its genuine purpose) where reality all came crashing down on Jaime that the war really was coming to Kings Landing and it would not end until Cersei was dead.

Cersei - it's not a 'happy' ending for her as some are claiming. Just because she wasn't gruesomely executed, butchered, torn apart by wild animals, doesn't make it a happy or unjust end. She's arrogant right until the very end, until painful reality too comes crashing down on her head and she breaks. It is pitiful to see her beg a dying Jaime to somehow save her and their unborn child. It was all she had left, and she knows in the end that she has condemned their last child to death, too.

Jaime was always faithful to her and all the worst things he did were for her. Cersei was sometimes cruel, often unfaithful and frequently manipulative towards Jaime, but they truly did love each other and in the end she was delighted to see him more than anyone else in Westeros.

The look on her face when a dying Jaime shuffles up to her in the collapsing forecourt is actually touching.

Honestly, to me, it's pretty much the only thing the writers got pretty much bang on right this entire season. This clip from S04E10 is spectacular in capturing what Cersei and Jaime had, and how deep it runs - the last few minutes in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I really enjoyed it for what it was epic TV.,

The story line has fallen away since they pasted the books but that's was always going to be the case, but its still enjoyable TV ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Why did they decide to finish with just 6 episodes. One of the most popular and probably lucrative shows HBO have every done and they wrap it up so quickly. Had they spent another two seasons (15-20 episodes) that would have given a batter send off and chance of closing it out properly.
    For me it's become hard to watch with the random stories just fired in for the sake of it.
    It's a shame that 80% (Made up figures but based on pure bro science) will feel disappointed when its all over.

What are the predictions for next week - can't see another battle happening but more Dani getting a strong talking too with people shaking their fists at her, realizing she was wrong and accepting her fate as never getting the throne - she will welcome death. Jon Snow to killer her - beheading style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why did they decide to finish with just 6 episodes. One of the most popular and probably lucrative shows HBO have every done and they wrap it up so quickly. Had they spent another two seasons (15-20 episodes) that would have given a batter send off and chance of closing it out properly.
    For me it's become hard to watch with the random stories just fired in for the sake of it.
    It's a shame that 80% (Made up figures but based on pure bro science) will feel disappointed when its all over.

What are the predictions for next week - can't see another battle happening but more Dani getting a strong talking too with people shaking their fists at her, realizing she was wrong and accepting her fate as never getting the throne - she will welcome death. Jon Snow to killer her - beheading style.

They couldn't keep the a cast any longer, its been ten years, people have to move on ,

They couldn't keep the a cast any longer, its been ten years, people have to move on ,

An extra 5-7 episodes over these two seasons wouldn't have killed them and they could have done them in the usual timescale with the cast. This feature-length format has got very tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Reference was made to Dany not eating and whatever been asked couldn’t have been completed as a result, the child worked in the kitchens.

Can therefore be suggested that Varys using his little birds to
    Poison Dany as a last resort, he knew he was been watched.

Also emphasized the point he was plotting against her and didn’t want to reveal the extent of this by burning the evidence already knowing his faith.

My guess is that Sansa was his contact and he was plotting with her and the last episode will lead to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont get the hate for varys demise

daenerys asked him to tell her if he ever thought she was losing it to tell her, when they first met in mereen and not to plot against her but as soon as he didnt like something he reverts to type and starts plotting to create their demise.

she told him she would burn him if he plotted against her and so she did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

daenerys asked him to tell her if he ever thought she was losing it to tell her, when they first met in mereen and not to plot against her but as soon as he didnt like something he reverts to type and starts plotting to create their demise.

in fairness they have all been telling her that she is going loopy and cant just kill innocent people...problem is not in the telling, its in the listening.

It was a "How do we fill this 5m of plot?" moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone think him taking off the rings is in any way significant?

Taking them off and putting them in a bowl, vainly hoping for a first and last bit of swinging action before the end, like Arya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

bigslice wrote: »
    Totally agree with this and it’s the way I’ve seen it play.

The last time he tried to do good earned him the label of Kingslayer that was a burden rather than the honour it should have been.

The last time he tried to do good? Really, that's what you're going with there? I really wonder if half the people in this thread have ever watched the show.

Jaime's good deeds :
    - Confronts Ned Stark on the streets to protect Tyrion.
    - Saves Brienne from rape, losing his hand in the process.
    - Develops a friendship with Brienne and demands Roose Bolton let Brianne leave with Jaime.
    - When Roose refuses, he jumps into a pit with a large bear, with no weapon and one hand.
    - He is the only person who believes the innocence of Tyrion RE Joffrey. He counsels him and helps him.
    - He agrees to break another oath and leave the Kingsguard to spare Tyrion's life at the trial.
    - When Tyrion loses, he breaks him out, saving an innocent man.
    - He arms Brienne specifically so she can find the Stark girls and he can keep his promise to a dead woman.
    - He goes on a potential suicide mission to rescue his innocent daughter to Dorne.
    - He makes peace with Doran, which should have kept Dorne out of the wars to come.
    - He ensures Trystane remains on the boat to save him from Cersei.
    - He allows Olenna a peaceful and painless death despite Cersei's wishes and Olenna being an ally of his enemy.
    - He arranged the council meeting for a ceasefire.
    - When Cersei outlined her intention to break her vow, he realised how terrible she was, abandoned her in the face of possible execution.
    - He rode north to fight for the living, knowing he would have to potentially face the consequences for his prior actions.
    - He made his apologies and Knighted Brienne.
    - He fought the dead on the frontline when it may have meant his death and saved others at numerous points in the battle.

JK LOL Time to abandon my friends and Brienne. LOL I don't care about the people of kings landing. LOL I'm actually addicted to Cersei even though we have clearly been growing more distant for years and I happily ever left her thinking I'd never see her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lor11

bigslice wrote: »
    Reference was made to Dany not eating and whatever been asked couldn’t have been completed as a result, the child worked in the kitchens.

Can therefore be suggested that Varys using his little birds to
    Poison Dany as a last resort, he knew he was been watched.

Also emphasized the point he was plotting against her and didn’t want to reveal the extent of this by burning the evidence already knowing his faith.

My guess is that Sansa was his contact and he was plotting with her and the last episode will lead to this.

I noticed on the table in front of him in the first scene that he had a number of rolled up scrolls. I assumed that he was getting the knowledge of Jon's parentage out to as many houses as possible before the inevitable happened to him. As this scene happened in the morning and he hasn't captured till the evening that he got at least some of these scrolls off dragon stone by raven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Best episode of the season so far. I really enjoyed it.

Will always find fault with something on this scale with so many main characters to follow but the ones this week that irked me a little (not enough to ruin what was a real spectacle though). In order of least to most annoying -
    1. Arya traveling all the way across the continent into to the map room only to be convinced by the hound's "don't be like me, go home girl" speech. Still believable as it was the first time the hound displayed genuine affection for her.
    2. Davos on the front line inside the city. Surely in shooting even Liam Cunningham would be like "eh lads, am I supposed to be here?"
    3. Euron. Just to confirm he dies we could have had Jamie row past him on a bit of driftwood and stick him there and then or even just see his washed up corpse on the beach.

All that said though, a great episode and I've no idea how it's going to end next week.

No issue with Dany apart from the rushed nature of her decent into madness. In the last 3 episodes she lost a lot of her armies, lost another dragon (the previous one dying because of Jon Snow), lost Jorah, lost Missandei, lost the love of Jon Snow. Betrayed by Jon (Sansa), Tyrion and Varys. Greyworm was the only 100% loyal person she had left and what does he do, the night before the battle, throws the collar into the fire. They both knew what was coming.

Should have been more episodes to tie up but this is the hand we are dealt so I plan on enjoying it.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was a "How do we fill this 5m of plot?" moment.

That's been the whole season really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Random person: GUYS! I'm really behind, I just looked at the finale of Season 7 and there's something about Cersei paying for a mercenary army, Jamie leaving Cersei to go north, and an army of undead marching south.
    Audience: Doesn't matter.
    Random person: What?
    Audience: Nothing of what you said matters in any way to the plot.
    Random person: Cersei breaking the truce?
    Audience: Doesn't matter.
    Random person: Daenerys losing a dragon to the Night King?
    Audience: Doesn't matter. She only ever needed one.
    Random person: 7 hours of Daenerys avoiding attacking King's Landing at the advice of Tyrion?
    Audience: You better believe that doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

One episode to go and I think overall this show is one of D most overrated hyped shows ever...

I found it bang average from start to finish....far too much drilling home evil and badness and inhumanity...no nuance or subtlety or humanity to be seen anywhere...

And bang average acting/performances....bland is an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mokuba wrote: »
    Here we go again.

To start - Just like the people crawled out of the woodwork saying "We knew Arya was going to kill the Night King for years - Blue Eyes!!", we have people claiming that Dany's madness was foreshadowed for years and we weren't paying attention. That is absolutely wrong. Dany has never once murdered an innocent before, in fact, she hasn't done much wrong in general. She killed people who were objectively committing atrocities - mainly slavery. She murdered enemies who refused to bend the knee as all other rulers in Westeros have done. Tywin Lannister had Elia's children killed and Elia raped and murdered - not mad! Dany kills a few Dothraki who were trying to enslave her and gang-rape her - CRAZY! LOOK I TOLD YOU SHES CRAZY SEE! The slavers in Mereen betray their agreement to abolish slavery and attack, so she kills them - LOOK! CRAZY! She locked up her dragons (children) for killing one child! People are trying to attribute morality as we know it to her actions in a medieval time. Absolute utter nonsense that she was capable of this, and people acting smug about it too! What Dany did in the last episode was the worst atrocity in the history of Westeros. Let that sink in. The worst atrocity in the entire history of that universe.

Arya fed a man his own children after taking the time to skin and cook them. She smiled as he ate them and slit his throat. She cut off his face and wore it while she poisoned the entire extended Frey family, some of whom surely had nothing to do with the Red Wedding or were just following orders. That is more despicable than anything Dany has ever done, by far. Is Arya not the one whos madness was telegraphed?
    • Varys, who for decades has been a master of whisperers, starts folding over paper when people come in like a child who has been caught copying someones homework. Not surprising when last episode he was basically shouting about the treason he is about to commit. Master of Whisperers, for decades people.
    • Why did Tyrion telltale on Varys, and then minutes later commit treason himself? I don't understand why he even cares about the people of Kings Landing so much? "I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you, I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it."
    • Why does Tyrion think Jaime can appeal to Cersei? This is the same woman who tortured and bullied him as a child. Blamed him for the death of Joffrey. Rigged the trial to ensure his guilt. Chose the Mountain to ensure his death in the Trial By Combat. Had Bronn bought so he wouldn't fight for Tyrion. Blew up the sept which resulted in the deaths of thousands of innocents. Promised Tyrion she would support the living and lied. Hired Bronn to kill Tyrion. Ignored Tyrion at the walls and killed Missandei. He has tried to appeal to her about 6 times now and it has failed every time!
    • Why does Jaime keep taking off his glove? Surefire way to recognise him, lets keep doing it even after acknowledging how dumb it is!
    • Sure were a lot of Unsullied and Dothraki outside the gate. Again, they must have been hiding in the library with Arya.
    • Euron now has 60 good boats vs 1 dragon. Last episode she lost a dragon and retreated in fear vs 20 boats. 30 seconds later the Iron Fleet is gone. Why didn't she just burn the boats last episode?
    • Machine Gun reload time to labouring to reload one bolt. And wow they can't hit anything anymore. Aimbot is broken this episode.
    • Golden Company were definitely worth the screentime.
    • Jon Snow standing around like an absolute idiot, gawping while innocent people die. The same man who made allies of Wildlings would not stand for this. Ned Starks son would not stand for this. Ned Stark left Kings Landing for 15 years because of a sacking of KL. Jon just watches it happen like a dope.
    • Jon Snow hid behind a rock to evade dragonfire in episode 3. Just a reminder. Dragonfire casually levelling an entire city here
    • Euron emerging from the water where Jaime happens to be. He must have been swimming around for 30 minutes. "Arthur Curry" Greyjoy, first of his name, King of the seas and the fishes.
    • Jaime got stabbed in the same place that The Waif stabbed Arya. Just that sweet spot where stab wounds don't affect a character at all. Then Euron looks into the camera to die. Christ.
    • The Hound says to Arya, don't follow the path of killing and revenge. Bit late isn't it? Shes only killed :The stableboy, multiple Frey and Lannister soldiers, Yoren's Prisoner, The sick girl, Meryn Trant, The Waif, Walder Frey's children who she fed to Walder Frey, Walder Frey, The entire Frey extended family and Littlefinger. It's ok Arya you can be a girl again, nothing you do has any consequences! Ignore the 50-60 people you killed and be a girl again!
    • They played sad music for Cersei and made it out to be this sad moment when she died. The equivalent of blowing up the Vatican, she has a nun raped and tortured by a zombie, no problem Cersei is tragic! Based on what she has done no competent writer would have given her a sendoff where we were supposed to sympathise. And again supposed to be some sort of emotional moment when she is reunited with Jaime? She rode all around her while she was with Jaime and treated him like a fool.
    • Pity Cleganebowl had 0 stakes because they were both doomed, I guess that might be some commentary on the futility of revenge, bit late to be talking that stance though after You-Go-Girl-Arya-Ninja-Stark baked her Frey pies and smiled into the camera after!
    • Arya is immune to dragonfire or some sh*t. I liked how she flipped a switch to go from super ninja badass to scared little girl after a little pep talk. And then against all odds she almost died 4 times but lived! Wow! There was so much tension! :rolleyes:

The most unforgivable of all - the character assassination of Jaime Lannister, or how to undo 8 seasons of character development in one episode. The same man who broke down in the bathtub to Brienne when telling her how he had to kill Aerys to save the people, who asked Brienne if she would have stood by when innocents were about to be killed - that same man now doesn't care about the people. Who jumps into the bear pit for Brienne, who abandons Cersei to fight for the living.

People were like, the only reason he is going to Kings Landing is to kill Cersei! Nope, he is "addicted" to her and tosses away all 8 seasons of his development.

Again, in before the usual Nerd! Wierdo! Stop trying to be hipster by not liking it! All my friends like it and so did I!
    Oh and the classic - If you didn't like this then you should stop watching television!

Well said. A bit harsh with the Jon Snow stuff, and quite funny in places, but hard to argue with.

I enjoyed season 7 tbh, it wasn't too bad compared to this season. The Euron scenes were an absolute farce in this ep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

walshb wrote: »
    One episode to go and I think overall this show is one of D most overrated hyped shows ever...

Opinions are opinions, but I'm sure you know you're in a massive minority there. Especially if you take this season out of the equation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement