Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish around Frankfurt Main

Options
  • 10-05-2019 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Any Irish peeps living close or around Frankfurt Main area?
    My Irish bf moved to Germany, and we are living in Bad Kreuznach (about an hours train ride from Frankfurt) but its pretty rural and kinda difficult to meet English speaking people here.
    I think he's sick of my face by now :)
    There is a GAA club in frankfurt but thats quiet a hassel if he'd travel there for training on a regular basis. We have a local Irish pub but no Irish people in sight ;)
    He's into MMA, politics, philosophy, having a laugh and also speaks Irish. Maybe anyone on here that lives around the area or know someone, or has some tips?!

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Didn't there use to be two Irish pubs in Frankfurt? That aside, my time in Frankfurt (quite some time ago! ) was spent with Germans and not the Irish. Made some very good friends with not a word of German. What about Meetup? Language exchange can be cool as well. I'd imagine if he's into MMA there must be clubs nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

There was talk a year or two ago about setting up a football club in Mainz but I don't know if it ever came to anything.
    But Mainz might be another option, there's three or four Irish pubs there, plenty of other clubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gruenchen

We are very rural here, and he knows Germans (and German) through me, but its kinda hard to make "new" friends here in a small town. Plus I think he'd like to meet some Irish too. Hence the post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Try toytowngermany web site more likely to find some thing.

I live in Dresden and it is hard to find friends not only with the not talking German so well but German's do tend to stay to themselves.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd say ToyTown is your best bet. You are well outside Frankfurt there. He could still go to the odd training with the GAA club, I was living in Frankfurt when a few of the lads set up the Sarsfields GAA club around 17 or 18 years ago. It was hard to get a team out for the tournament games around Europe at that time. I'd imagine it still is, so I'm sure they would be glad to have some lads who could play in the tournaments even if they didn't regularly train with the team.

Also check out Wiesbaden and Darmstadt, would be quicker to get to and there would be some Irish living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'd give the GAA club a go, even at the weekends and he can do a bit of fitness himself over the week - and being part of a club and having a goal at least is motivation to do that.
    In the Benelux (+Frankfurt) region theres tournaments then every 4 weeks or so, so a chance for a spin to Brussels, Amsterdam or The Hague or somewhere else that you'd otherwise not end up going to .
    If you play dual, then you get double the dose, and with hurling tournaments every 4 weeks that means between the 2 codes a spin every other week, and the hurling is Europewide so you get to see places even further afield!
    (of course, you pay your own way to get to the tournaments, but its often just a tank of petrol shared , so can be very cheap weekends away if flights arent involved)

Advertisement