Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made to hoover and clean office

Options
  • 11-05-2019 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ok,

So there are 8-10 of us in an office. Each of us are on rotation to clean. This involves hoovering 2 large rooms, cleaning tables, fridge, empty bins, bring down bags of rubbish and boxes to another part of a large building. It takes at least one hour and more often than not, it's not done very well! There is no "deep cleaning".

At first i didn't think to question it, i just rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in. However, now i think it's unfair. We have more staff now the place gets dirty.

Can i/we refuse to clean and on what grounds? Do other organisations have to do their own cleaning?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Ok,

So there are 8-10 of us in an office. Each of us are on rotation to clean. This involves hoovering 2 large rooms, cleaning tables, fridge, empty bins, bring down bags of rubbish and boxes to another part of a large building. It takes at least one hour and more often than not, it's not done very well! There is no "deep cleaning".

At first i didn't think to question it, i just rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in. However, now i think it's unfair. We have more staff now the place gets dirty.

Can i/we refuse to clean and on what grounds? Do other organisations have to do their own cleaning?

Thanks

Why is it unfair? You have a job, your getting paid. The company is small. Cleaning companies are not cheap

Why exactly do you have a problem? If 10 people you do it maybe twice a month? That’s 2 hours a month for something that is not massively hard to do...

I did have to delete my original post as I would have got banned....haha

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If your contract says "other duties", and the work is being allocated fairly, then not much you can do, bar speak to your manager. Is it taking away from other duties? Do you have everything you need to do the taka safely?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

'made to'

Or the thread title should have said paid to.

You can always move jobs if you don't like the current job you signed up for. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Why are people being so hostile? The company actually turns over well over a couple of million annually. The reason we clean is the boss is tight.

I didnt sign up to be a cleaner. My work load is huge and i dont have the hour to spend cleaning.

I was only asking for advice.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Why are people being so hostile? The company actually turns over well over a couple of million annually. The reason we clean is the boss is tight.

I didnt sign up to be a cleaner. My work load is huge and i dont have the hour to spend cleaning.

I'd focus on the work load. Hiring a cleaner for an hour, vs how much your time may be worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i dont think its on op. what do your colleagues think?

if your job is X then thats what you are there for..... not hoovering.

how long are you there? is it feasible to move jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Planina

If cleaning duties weren't part of the job you signed up to do, then the boss is taking advantage.
    You would be in a strong position to approach your boss about this as long as your colleagues are in agreement with you. However, if some of them don't have an issue with it, it would be difficult to change anything about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would take the approach that this is a highly inefficient way of doing business.
    If i employed highly paid admin staff i certainly would not have them doing cleaning work as its a waste of a resource.
    I think if you spin it in this fashion the idea may get legs.
    Suggest bringing someone in say one time a week and the day to day stuff be minimal.
    Refusing likely not a good option.

daheff wrote: »
    i dont think its on op. what do your colleagues think?

if your job is X then thats what you are there for..... not hoovering.

how long are you there? is it feasible to move jobs?

We all think it's unnecessary one of the main issues is the place isn't cleaned properly. Ive been there 18 months, it wouldnt make me leave by any means it wasnt too much of an issue until we got extra staff plus interns coming and going. Anyway i suppose the only thing to do is continue or express our concerns again.

Thanks

We all think it's unnecessary one of the main issues is the place isn't cleaned properly. Ive been there 18 months, it wouldnt make me leave by any means it wasnt too much of an issue until we got extra staff plus interns coming and going. Anyway i suppose the only thing to do is continue or express our concerns again.

Thanks

So you are complaining because of your own substandard work? :p

• Advertisement

I would take the approach that this is a highly inefficient way of doing business.
    If i employed highly paid admin staff i certainly would not have them doing cleaning work as its a waste of a resource.
    I think if you spin it in this fashion the idea may get legs.
    Suggest bringing someone in say one time a week and the day to day stuff be minimal.
    Refusing likely not a good option.

Im not highly paid admin staff, im actually part of a profession that took me many many years of study. That is irrelevant, i still dont think any one in office should have to do it. Boss looked into getting cleaner one hour a week. Too expensive. As i said. Tight.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Thanks

So you are complaining because of your own substandard work? :p
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!! No denying it! 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why are people being so hostile?

Did not get the response you wanted..... you asked for opinions and you got them, I don't see anything hostile in the responses, other than perhaps not the responses you expected.
    The company actually turns over well over a couple of million annually. The reason we clean is the boss is tight.

It does not matter what the turn over is, you have no idea of what the bottom line is. Furthermore there is a lot of risk involved in running a business and people would not do it if there was not a good reward for doing so.

Well it would appear that the owner does not agree with you, they think paying you to do the cleaning is value for money, otherwise they'd hire cleaners.

In small companies workers do what needs to be done, otherwise the company would not survive. If you want working in place with lots of demarkation, then most likely you'll need to move on.

The company actually turns over well over a couple of million annually.

What are the company profits on those couple of millions?

Bringing in a couple of million is great but what if you are pushing back out a couple of million

Also how do you know it is a couple of million?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

If it's not a part of the job description as advertised when you took the role, you are entitled to query it with your boss but as others have said, if your colleagues are ok with it you probably don't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Ah OP I've been in your position. I'm guessing your in your 20's and full of your own self importance:D
    I had a stand off in my job over being asked to use a floor cleaning machine. I was way to good for that. I was told to do it or leave. A week later they called me to come back and they hired a cleaner part time.
    Now I'm 36 and have copped on a feel like a fool thinking back. I would gladly clean the toilet bowls with a tooth brush once I was getting paid for it.
    A company turning over a few million isn't hugh, it's a small to medium size business. My advise would be just get on with it and treat the cleaning like exercise. Do it to the best of your ability and be proud of the job you do. There is a feel good factor to doing a good job be it cleaning the toilet or designing parts for a space ship. Take pride in whatever you do and work hard and people will notice.
    And the boss isn't tight, he's smart and you probably spend too much on your lunch and coffee:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not really hostile. If I took a job where cleaning was part of that role then that's the job. If I didn't want to take a job where this was a part of it I'd look elsewhere.

Yes the boss is probably trying to eliminate costs but you have not indicated he wasn't up front about it and has a rota.

So...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thanks

Shouldn't the extra staff mean that your turn to clean comes around less often?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I've worked in companies where people were expected to clean up and hoover. In some cases there were also cleaners that came in, but it was unacceptable for the place to be unclean so employees were expected to do the obvious. I've seen multi-millionaires hoovering at work.

I think you and your colleagues work can't be of much value to the company if your boss values it at minimum wage a couple of hours a month. Sounds like a very poor way to run a business. I would look for another job somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If between you all your cleaning isn't up to standard, maybe request a once off or occasional deep clean, and then tip along with the rota as is. That might be a more acceptable compromise than flat out refusing or resisting.

I know I wouldn't be happy working in an environment that wasn't properly clean and getting grubbier by the week. And there's no reason to expect highly otherly trained staff to be excellent part-time cleaners!

I think the OP is part of the new culture.

Not trying to sound too old but once I turned 12 I was out working. That was it, cash in hand jobs anywhere I could get. Painting for a summer, gopher on a building site very regular. Any holidays I was gone. Parents would never see me, working in Dublin on a site at 14 and living with some people, home at weekend.

I got the s**tist job you can imagine. Then again I was the gopher. Once I had done that and into college I was working every evening and all weekend to pay for myself. No hand outs......

This is all gone. Kids are walking out of college with a lot of them never having lifted a finger. Get a job and they think it is supposed to be like Suits....they all walking around drinking whiskey and cars waiting for them......

Also fo the Irish market a huge amount of them are unwilling to do what I would class as a days work. Do the minimum and think they are great, as the poster said "sure they are making millions!" with no idea or concept about profit or loss.....

Maybe it is time for Ireland to send our kids into the army for a year to gain some appreciation for the opportunities they are getting. Not complaining because they had to run a hoover over a floor for 10 mins

Just consider this. The New Zealand rugby team. Best rugby team in and World and full of super stars. Guys that are on millions each season

After every game, they tidy up and clean the changing rooms. The players. Not the staff. They leave it just as clean as they found it

Never heard a rugby player complain, also it says nothing in contract about cleaning the room

I think the OP is part of the new culture.

Not trying to sound too old but once I turned 12 I was out working. That was it, cash in hand jobs anywhere I could get. Painting for a summer, gopher on a building site very regular. Any holidays I was gone. Parents would never see me, working in Dublin on a site at 14 and living with some people, home at weekend.

I got the s**tist job you can imagine. Then again I was the gopher. Once I had done that and into college I was working every evening and all weekend to pay for myself. No hand outs......

This is all gone. Kids are walking out of college with a lot of them never having lifted a finger. Get a job and they think it is supposed to be like Suits....they all walking around drinking whiskey and cars waiting for them......

Also fo the Irish market a huge amount of them are unwilling to do what I would class as a days work. Do the minimum and think they are great, as the poster said "sure they are making millions!" with no idea or concept about profit or loss.....

Maybe it is time for Ireland to send our kids into the army for a year to gain some appreciation for the opportunities they are getting. Not complaining because they had to run a hoover over a floor for 10 mins

Im not a "kid" im in my late 30's. I too started work at a young age. My parents never had extra money. I also understand profit and loss very well. That's how im fully aware the company can hire a cleaner. Your post is based on assumptions. Those assumptions are incorrect.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If between you all your cleaning isn't up to standard, maybe request a once off or occasional deep clean, and then tip along with the rota as is. That might be a more acceptable compromise than flat out refusing or resisting.

I know I wouldn't be happy working in an environment that wasn't properly clean and getting grubbier by the week. And there's no reason to expect highly otherly trained staff to be excellent part-time cleaners!
    Sounds like a reasonable compromise, thanks

Just consider this. The New Zealand rugby team. Best rugby team in and World and full of super stars. Guys that are on millions each season

After every game, they tidy up and clean the changing rooms. The players. Not the staff. They leave it just as clean as they found it

Never heard a rugby player complain, also it says nothing in contract about cleaning the room
    How do you know this? Your posts are not factually based.

Im not a "kid" im in my late 30's. I too started work at a young age. My parents never had extra money. I also understand profit and loss very well. That's how im fully aware the company can hire a cleaner. Your post is based on assumptions. Those assumptions are incorrect.

I bought one of these

https://www.gearbest.com/robot-vacuum/pp_440546.html?wid=1349303

Why not just buy one for the office, show a bit of initiative. It will go on every night at whatever time you want it and work all night.....

How do you know this? Your posts are not factually based.

It is a well known fact, google it. They have videos of Dan Carter cleaning up the changing rooms

Even Hartley(from NZ) got England team to do it
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-4260218/Dylan-Hartley-forces-England-squad-clean-dressing-room.html

It's team building exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I actually agree with you. This issue really divides people. One camp sees no issue at all with rolling up your sleeves and emptying bins, cleaning tables and hoovering. Im not in this camp. If you are hired to do a job, one which requires a degree of qualifications, then you shouldn't be cleaning on top of this. That's what cleaners are for, to be blunt. If your boss is too tight to hire one or doesn't see an issue in workers downing tools to clean, you are up against a losing battle and you probably should look for another job.

If your contract says other duties as required, then they are covered. I know its not fair to have to move on but if its you against the office and you feel strongly about it you should look elsewhere. In this day and age, you shouldn't have to be going to college for 4 years to scrub floors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Some of the replies here are mind-boggling. It's no wonder employers are getting away with expecting young people to work for free in so called internships. Yes, everyone should keep their own workspace tidy and clean - within reason. However, what your employer is demanding is simply not on.

Advertisement