Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made to hoover and clean office

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why is it unfair? You have a job, your getting paid. The company is small. Cleaning companies are not cheap

Why exactly do you have a problem? If 10 people you do it maybe twice a month? That’s 2 hours a month for something that is not massively hard to do...

I did have to delete my original post as I would have got banned....haha

Complete nonsense, Im 52 never had to clean an office in my life, (apart from my desk and cup after coffee). Cheapskates need to get a cleaner in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Batgurl wrote: »
    Why on earth would an employee PAY to have another persons business cleaned??? By all means hire a cleaner but send the bill straight to the employer!

What next? Paying someone to do payroll so you get your wages paid each month???

i am not the one moaning on here about having to do something, the employer doesnt care, he has his staff doing it, if they dont want to do it there are alternative options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Cyrus wrote: »
    er what?

there is full employment out there, employers are now lucky to have employees, i said go if you dont like it.

and i thought we have moved on from this old fashioned notion of duties

Agree there is supposed to be full employment but we don't know the location OP lives in or the business sector they work in. OP never said they wanted another job, just that they do not want to be a cleaner.

Use any description or word you like then, responsibilities/tasks/activities/ it's the same, the contract generally includes details of the job. The only one with notions is the business owner who thinks he can treat his staff any way he wants because he is their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why is it unfair? You have a job, your getting paid. The company is small. Cleaning companies are not cheap

Why exactly do you have a problem? If 10 people you do it maybe twice a month? That’s 2 hours a month for something that is not massively hard to do...

I did have to delete my original post as I would have got banned....haha

I have worked in small offices for the past 20 years- from 7 to 20 people and I have never heard of this before.

Getting a cleaner in for 2 hours every Friday to whiz through the place is not going to break any business.

Problem? Well you are employed to do a particular job and not clean up other peoples crap. Now if it was made clear to the OP that this was part of the job description then fine and as long as you are not doing it for free then I guess you will have to put up.

See what others think and approach the boss with details of a reasonably priced local cleaner.

Agree there is supposed to be full employment but we don't know the location OP lives in or the business sector they work in. OP never said they wanted another job, just that they do not want to be a cleaner.

Use any description or word you like then, responsibilities/tasks/activities/ it's the same, the contract generally includes details of the job. The only one with notions is the business owner who thinks he can treat his staff any way he wants because he is their employer.

if my job involved me being a cleaner i would want another job,

what exactly do they want people on the internet to do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Anteayer wrote: »
    There's also a health and safety issue. Are you provided with proper training and equipment to do this?
    Gloves, overalls, information on what chemicals are being used etc etc

There's an assumption that cleaning is zero skill. It's absolutely not.

:D I love it when people use health and safety as an excuse to avoid using initiative/cop on/common sense.

Wasn't there some fella before who took his employer to court because he wasn't trained on how to post letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's a giant, huge difference between tidying up after yourself and being expected to clean the jacks and hoover the office.

Fair enough - I didnt see the part about toilet cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I know of two scenarios where someone was asked to move office furniture and it ended up in injuries and court cases.

You end up with some scenario where someone injures themselves doing a task that they've been requested to do, but that's outside their job description, received inadequate equipment and no training for and you'll find it gets expensive very fast.

There's a big difference between being asked to keep your own space tidy and actually doing a major deep clean.

That's the reality of Ireland's legal environment. Whether you love it or not isn't really relevant. it's one of the most litigious countries in the world.

Most businesses here don't take risks like that.

whats this deep clean talk people keep referring to?

and could they explain it to the cleaners that come here every day because they aren't au fait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

Can and should you refuse to do it? Probably not.

Should time of a college trained professional be used to clean? Probably not. It is hard to see why the company won't pay either a cleaning company or an individual to come in for a few hours a week. It would seem to be a better use of resources.

It is likely that it will ever be cleaned properly with ad-hoc cleaning arrangments? Probably not.

I'd see it as chance to get off my office chair and move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

GBX wrote: »
    Fair enough - I didnt see the part about toilet cleaning.

To be fair to the OP, toilet cleaning was never mentioned. This was brought into the mix by another poster.

Bigdig69 wrote: »
    Can and should you refuse to do it? Probably not.

Should time of a college trained professional be used to clean? Probably not. It is hard to see why the company won't pay either a cleaning company or an individual to come in for a few hours a week. It would seem to be a better use of resources.

It is likely that it will ever be cleaned properly with ad-hoc cleaning arrangments? Probably not.

I'd see it as chance to get off my office chair and move.

to be fair it says more about the owner if he thinks the most efficient and profitable use of his 'talent' is to have them cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

skallywag wrote:
    To be fair to the OP, toilet cleaning was never mentioned. This was brought into the mix by another poster.

Me. If the staff are expected to clean the rest of the building I think it's fair to assume that either the jacks are included in that or they're not being cleaned at all. Either is extremely unprofessional of the business owner, imo.

OP, is the owner included on the cleaning rota? I have my doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

OP, is the owner included on the cleaning rota? I have my doubts.

The OP says that he is, but that he either forgets when its his turn or he whizzes through it in ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Balanadan wrote: »
    :D I love it when people use health and safety as an excuse to avoid using initiative/cop on/common sense.

Wasn't there some fella before who took his employer to court because he wasn't trained on how to post letters?

Well if he was sacked because he didn't post a letter correctly then that's quite plausible. So depends on the context, and some fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

...If the staff are expected to clean the rest of the building I think it's fair to assume that either the jacks are included in that or they're not being cleaned at all...

I would imagine that the OP would have mentioned in the original post if toilet cleaning was involved as I guess most folk would find that more irritating than vacuum cleaning, so perhaps you are right and they simply never get a proper clean at all. Unless there is some class of shared facilities with other companies which is cleaned independently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

It's a complete crock and a joke.
    Say an employee works 00:08 to 17:00 with breaks and sometimes longer than that to get all the work done. And in my office sometimes weekend and evening work, as well as being on call.
    If my boss wanted me to start cleaning and hoovering I would tell him that I certainly won't be doing it as overtime (already have enough of that) and I have no time during work, or maybe he can redistribute some of my work to someone else or hire someone part time to do the tasks that I can't do whilst cleaning the damn toilet.
    Or, maybe, he could hire a cleaning contractors to come in once or twice a week to do, well, clean.
    Someone said "but wat about der vahicles an' stuff!", well what about it?
    It's a contractor, I don't give a sh*t about their vehicles. I pay them X to come in and clean, end of.
    It's always back to the same argument.
    Do you want your employees to work and make you money, or do you want them to mop the floor and clean the jacks?
    If the answer is B, you're not really cut out for this business malarkey, because you don't understand the first thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

I worked in an office where the cleaners hours were cut . Came in one morning to see my boss hoovering . Thought nothing of it until her direct boss came in and told her to stop that she wasn't covered under insurance or health and safely to be cleaning and using the Hoover. OP should ask her boss if she is covered to be cleaning the office ..
    If my boss asked me to spend an hour of my day cleaning I would tell him no straight out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Who makes the office unclean? Why can't they clean it? It's not as if they are cleaning toilets.

*Newsflash* Very few workers are constantly working to task.

Ubiquitous internet pretty much guarantees this.

I'm pretty sure an employer smart enough to have a multi million t/o business realises that a fully occupied employee would be less productive than using a cleaner for an hour or two.

Employees have a lot of rights/power and this employer seems to be using the tools at their disposal to get the max out of their employees.

The OP may be a rare wonder and working 100% capacity, but clearly not everyone in the office is and the employer needs to not be seen as too selective.

Basically, I doubt the employer is the issue here.

Working your staff to 100% is both counterproductive and idiotic.

Does "other ad hoc tasks" include cleaning the office?

There's helping out a small company and there's being used as a doormat. I don't agree with this cross role crap. It's greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Hi OP, just a quick question on the gender mix of the staff required to do the cleaning?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

REXER wrote: »
    Hi OP, just a quick question on the gender mix of the staff required to do the cleaning?

Ah will ye feck off with the stupid gender politics shyte and cop on. What difference if a person is male or female. Using professional staff as cleaners is idiotic shambolic "management" regardless of what gender anyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Nobelium wrote: »
    Ah will ye feck off with the stupid gender politics shyte and cop on. What difference if a person is male or female. Using professional staff as cleaners is idiotic shambolic "management" regardless of what gender anyone is.

Ah will ye feck off yourself with the stupid response, its a legitimate question to ask about a boss that seems to be stuck in the mid 20th century! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

its a legitimate question to ask

yeah right, in an office what difference does it make if someone is male or female ? what's your next question . .. what race were they ?

Outrage ready to deploy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

or the employer is a believer in lean manufacturing and 6 sigma etc.
    and is rightly trying to run an efficient business with very little waste

If you think having your professional staff hoovering the office is something to do with lean manufacturing and 6 sigma then you have absolutely no clue what those things actually are.

That's like saying someone who steals toilet paper from the public jacks must be a cutting edge financial guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If you think having your professional staff hoovering the office is something to do with lean manufacturing and 6 sigma then you have absolutely no clue what those things actually are.

That's like saying someone who steals toilet paper from the public jacks must be a cutting edge financial guru.

you clearly dont know about lean if think that this has nothing to do with it.
    this was part of lean when i was taught about it in collage

one of the core principles is getting all the staff , owners, managers etc involved in as many aspects of the business as posible.
    its about wasting time and being more efficient. as soon as somone sees something that needs doing , they do it. most of lean is comon sence anyway.

this boss isnt putting their top accountant hoovering every day, that would be a waste of said acountant. this bos is getting all the staff to spend a very short amount of time on a schedule

i dont see this ffice work as diferent to anyother job.
    in my job as a self emplyed carpenter we always finish everyday 15min early and put everything away and tidy up , then on the last day of the week we stop 1 hour or more and do a deaper clean. you lose a few minutes hear and there but gain all the rest of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

also not that it matters much but . the OP hasnt said they are top tallant in the office and that their job is well paid like accountnts etc.
    there are lots of office workers on minimium wage all the way up to hundreds of euro accountants and soliceters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Are toilet facilities being cleaned properly and regularly? If so, by whom?

Advertisement