Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting something on rear of garage

Options
  • 11-05-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭

Not really a gardening question per se, but I was wondering if anyone has ever painted something on to their garage wall(s) to liven up their outside, rather than just plain paint?

I may be refreshing the exterior paint on my house and garage this summer, and always thought a piece of art or something painted on the rear of the garage wall would be nice.

Anyone done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I once painted what everyone referred to as my 'muriel' on my kitchen wall once - hills and sky with stylised trees. I liked it anyway.

Try googling something like 'exterior wall mural' and look at the images, loads of ideas. No reason at all why you shouldn't do it (unless it is very visible from an exclusive and picky housing estate :D) And if you don't like it you can always paint over it.

Couple of thoughts, measure the space then do a scale mock up on paper before you start. Scale up the design onto the wall before you start using the grid method (google again!)

Use something like vinyl matt (washable) paint to paint it. It will last reasonably well but will not last for ever, it will be easier to paint over though if you don't like it. You could use acrylic paints but it would be expensive.

What is the wall surface at the moment. If it is rough you will wear out brushes very fast and the image will not be as clear.

Give the wall a coat of outdoor primer before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the reply.

Thankfully the rear wall of my garden faces out to the countryside, so no houses behind me. The neighbour to the side is detached but they would see the mural when out cutting their back garden, but thats not a worry. Its not their wall and not my concern if they don't like anything I do.

The surface at present is just coloured exterior masonry paint. It is peeling a lot at present as we were getting near the end of the paint job when we got to it, and I think it only got a single coat. That was a couple of years ago, so I think it would need primed first before any painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have adorned the gable end of my home beautifully...have done this wherever I have lived

• Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have adorned the gable end of my home beautifully...have done this wherever I have lived

Any more details?
    Any photos?

• Advertisement

It's very popular in some parts of Belfast.
    A fella kicking down a door with a machine gun is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not really a gardening question per se, but I was wondering if anyone has ever painted something on to their garage wall(s) to liven up their outside, rather than just plain paint?

I may be refreshing the exterior paint on my house and garage this summer, and always thought a piece of art or something painted on the rear of the garage wall would be nice.

Anyone done it?

Check out Barn Quilts in the US. These are colourful geometric shapes painted on boards and then attached to the sides of barns and other buildings. Lots of tutorials and ideas online

LINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Check with the council as well. Some require planning for a mural if it's visible to any of the public (neighbours included.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Might be worth contacting an art college and employing a student to do a nice mural.

I think you either have a natural flair for this kind of thing, or you don't (I don't)
    A good one can be amazing to look at though.

Advertisement