Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to start cycling.

• 11-05-2019 2:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in buying a bicycle to use on the road but don't know where to start.
    I will probably buy used but am unsure of anything else.
    Size, type etc.

Can anyone point me in some sort of direction please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Blueshoe wrote: »

Can anyone point me in some sort of direction

1. The search function of this forum
    2. Your credit card

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's helpful.

what sort of cycling? is it for leisure, exercise, commuting, or a little of each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Cyclesuperstore secondhand section outside the main shop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It depends on whether you want to cycle for leisure or commuting (or both).
    You should budget for some clothes (rain jacket, cycling shorts, etc).
    The Cycle to Work scheme means that you can pay as little as half the price of the bike and accessories (up to €1k).
    I think you shoukd pop into a proper bicycle shop and have a nob-committing chat with someone knowledgeable. Then go home and think what you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

that's helpful.

what sort of cycling? is it for leisure, exercise, commuting, or a little of each?

Leisure/ exercise category.

• Advertisement

Idioteque wrote: »
    1. The search function of this forum
    2. Your credit card

Lol. Blindly buying is something I'd like to avoid but I will check out the ads. Thanks

It depends on whether you want to cycle for leisure or commuting (or both).
    You should budget for some clothes (rain jacket, cycling shorts, etc).
    The Cycle to Work scheme means that you can pay as little as half the price of the bike and accessories (up to €1k).
    I think you shoukd pop into a proper bicycle shop and have a nob-committing chat with someone knowledgeable. Then go home and think what you want.

I can pick up the equipment afterwards. Unfortunately the cycle to work scheme is not available in my work place.
    I did drop into a shop a while back but got the impression the guy was trying to set me up for the tour the France. Crazy expensive bike etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ok. Now road cycling or mountain biking or just knocking around Dublin city centre?
    A road bike ("racer" bike) will allow you to travel faster and further but won't do much off road.
    A hybrid bike is inbetween road and mountain bikes. I got one a few years back. Great bike but it wasn't long before I wanted to move faster and further. A 65km trip on a hybrid nearly killed me whereas on a road bike it would be no bother. That said, I probably get more exercise on the hybrid.
    I can pick up the equipment afterwards. Unfortunately the cycle to work scheme is not available in my work place.
    I did drop into a shop a while back but got the impression the guy was trying to set me up for the tour the France. Crazy expensive bike etc.
    Defo get a pair of cycling shorts to protect your arse!
    In terms of any chat in a shop, know what kind of budget you have and what you want to get in terms of cycling trips (leisure) and style of bike. If you haven't this then they will just pull everything off the rack. Make it clear to them that you're looking for advice at the moment.

Ok. Now road cycling or mountain biking or just knocking around Dublin city centre?
    A road bike ("racer" bike) will allow you to travel faster and further but won't do much off road.
    A hybrid bike is inbetween road and mountain bikes. I got one a few years back. Great bike but it wasn't long before I wanted to move faster and further. A 65km trip on a hybrid nearly killed me whereas on a road bike it would be no bother. That said, I probably get more exercise on the hybrid.

Defo get a pair of cycling shorts to protect your arse!
    In terms of any chat in a shop, know what kind of budget you have and what you want to get in terms of cycling trips (leisure) and style of bike. If you haven't this then they will just pull everything off the rack. Make it clear to them that you're looking for advice at the moment.

Road biking. No off-road type. I live down the country.

A second hand road bike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You should be able to get a secondhand road bike for a reasonable price and it's a good way of dipping your toe. Bear in mind pedal choice - there are a few different systems available so you may need to consider pedals and shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I didn't bother with cycling shoes until I built up the fitness for longer rides, 80km+

Generally Halford are crap for bikes but the boardman brand of bikes they sell are good IMO
    This would be a good bike for a beginner
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8-6-road-bike
    If you can get something similar in good condition second hand for less then go for it but it's an option if you can't find anything you like on the second hand market.

Weather is looking good for next week so it's a good time to start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

What kind of budget do you have in mind?
    Also, what height are you, so folks here can give you a reasonable idea of what you could get for your money?

PS, welcome to the world of cycling, stick with it, it’s great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I found bottom of the range halfords bike grand when I got into cycling. 340 euro approximately and ultimately upgraded the wheels and tyres. Rode it until it was robbed. Then spent about a grand on a reasonably high end second hand one and about another 500 modifying that. Very happy but I spent literally months looking at them before purchase which was waste of time.

To be honest - you have no idea if you're going to like cycling or not. No real point in trying to buy the perfect bike as a starter one. Decide how much you're willing to spend then ride a few halfords or entry level new bikes and check out the second hand section of cycle superstore. Then just buy one at a price you're happy with that feels nice. Check tyres are properly inflated to the same approximate level when riding them as that will affect the feel of the bike.

You could definitely get better value on done deal etc than in cycle superstore but you will be buying a serviced bike in there that's ready to go. You could also definitely find a bike elsewhere or new that ended up being a better fit but it would take a very long time and would be like searching for a needle in a haystack of needles without really knowing what a needle looks like

Decide budget
    Ride and buy one you like feel of
    If you get into it you may well upgrade or buy another one and can use your first bike as a winter bike to avoid wear and tear on your good bike

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

a148pro wrote: »
    in cycle superstore but you will be buying a serviced bike in there that's ready to go.

Probably one of the main points to go with a second hand in CSS, for the price of a new bike in Halfords you can get a pretty decent second hand bike in CSS for 400 - 500 that you know has been looked at by a professional before you buy it.

Lapierre Audacio 400 for E400 here
    http://www.usedbikes.ie/bicycle/lapierre-audacio-400-2397

Not a bad starter bike for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I'd recommend the Giant Contend 2
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-2

If your spending that amount of money, personally I'd stay away from Halfords own brands, which I believe Boardman bikes are.

You would easily do 10-20 miles on a giant without even noticing.

Def try get work to do a bike to work scheme. The shop just sends your employer an invoice for the full amount. It's a handy enough %50 off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Something like this

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/cube-road-bike/17910736

A pair of these, spend more if you wish your arse will thank you. - We all look terrible in lycra just get passed that bit

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-bib-shorts-1/

Definitely some of this

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/

And I'd highly recommend a helmet of some description.

Don't forget the bits and bobs you could pick up some in aldi this week

Lights,puncture repair kit, spare tube, pump, water bottle and holder.

After all that get on the thing and pedal. Once you're comfortable join a club if you like, it will help with fitness/bike skills then you'll be looking to upgrade everything and once you've tried all the shiney stuff you'll find yourself looking at old rusty bikes as a project.

It's a slippery slope but an enjoyable one.

iwillhtfu wrote: »

I've done up to 200km cycles and never had a saddle sore.
    I think products like that are only for people that need it. I wouldn't go buying lots of things you may or may not need, keep it simple to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tuxy wrote: »
    I think products like that are only for people that need it. I wouldn't go buying lots of things you may or may not need, keep it simple to start.

Well aren't you a champion :rolleyes: what harm could it possibly do for a few euro. Anything useful to add?

Well aren't you a champion :rolleyes: what harm could it possibly do for a few euro. Anything useful to add?

Is my personal experience less valid than yours? It's not a personal attack just because my experience is different than yours, so please don't treat it as such.
    All I'm saying is that saddle sores is not the norm, I'd say in the club I cycle with 1 in 15 use it. Of course it's invaluable to those that need it.
    I think all you really need is a bike and some free time to start. Do some short 10km - 20km cycles to start.

Have you had bad experiences with Boardman?
    Halfords acquired the company a few years ago but I've not seen any reduction in quality since this happened. I've cycled a few of their bikes over the years and I believe they are of the same quality as more expensive brands.
    They also do very well in reviews from the different cycling websites.
    But if someone does have more info and can point out any flaws the bikes from this brand have I'd be interested in hearing it.

• Advertisement

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Probably one of the main points to go with a second hand in CSS, for the price of a new bike in Halfords you can get a pretty decent second hand bike in CSS for 400 - 500 that you know has been looked at by a professional before you buy it.

Lapierre Audacio 400 for E400 here
    http://www.usedbikes.ie/bicycle/lapierre-audacio-400-2397

Not a bad starter bike for the price

I like the look of that one. 55cm size it says.
    I'm 5' 8 / 5'9 on a good day. Is this the correct size?

ratracer wrote: »
    What kind of budget do you have in mind?
    Also, what height are you, so folks here can give you a reasonable idea of what you could get for your money?

PS, welcome to the world of cycling, stick with it, it’s great fun!

Hi.
    Around 500 for a bike I think.
    I'm 5 foot 8.
    Thanks to all so far. Helpful bunch.
    I'm coming with zero knowledge

Hi.
    Around 500 for a bike I think.
    I'm 5 foot 8.
    Thanks to all so far. Helpful bunch.
    I'm coming with zero knowledge

Unfortunately there is no standard sizing and every brand has is a bit different but someone who has experience with this will have a good idea by checking out the geometry chart for the bike.
    At that height you will be either small/medium or 52/54 in most brands.
    Another tip is if you're unsure go smaller, it's easy(and cheap) to change a stem and make a bike that's slightly too small fit but it's not always possible to make a bigger bike fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Have you had bad experiences with Boardman?
    Halfords acquired the company a few years ago but I've not seen any reduction in quality since this happened. I've cycled a few of their bikes over the years and I believe they are of the same quality as more expensive brands.
    They also do very well in reviews from the different cycling websites.
    But if someone does have more info and can point out any flaws the bikes from this brand have I'd be interested in hearing it.

Honestly, no, I'm just suspicious of Halfords pushing a brand. I used to know someone who worked for Giant and saw the level of technical detail they put into their bikes.

I just think go with the established brand. I'm open to correction of that mind...

I just think go with the established brand. I'm open to correction of that mind...

Boardman bikes are well established IMO, they have been around for over a decade and have made many bikes that are highly regarded. I don't believe the fact that Halfords deiced to acquire them has had a negative impact on the quality of their bikes. The company still has the same knowledge and facilities to produce bikes. I guess the worry would be that Halfords would give cut funding and then the company would cut corners and produce an inferior product but I see no evidence of this.

That said the best value for Blueshoe is probably in the second hand market.

Boardman bikes are well established IMO, they have been around for over a decade and have made many bikes that are highly regarded. I don't believe the fact that Halfords deiced to acquire them has had a negative impact on the quality of their bikes. The company still has the same knowledge and facilities to produce bikes. I guess the worry would be that Halfords would give cut funding and then the company would cut corners and produce an inferior product but I see no evidence of this.

That said the best value for Blueshoe is probably in the second hand market.

Agreed , nothing at all wrong with Boardman bikes, they are as good as many at that end of the market but it's not worth 600-700+ for a new Claris or Sora equipped bike in any brand starting out. Plenty of bargains to be had for half that second hand and by second hand I mean there are many sheds here with a bike to work bike hardly used that end up for sale for decent money.

I like the look of that one. 55cm size it says.
    I'm 5' 8 / 5'9 on a good day. Is this the correct size?

That lapierre is really nice but I believe they made a mistake with the sizing.
    55 is a large not medium, 52 is a medium. You can check out the geometry of that model here.

https://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2015/road/sport-0/audacio-400

If it is a 52 then you should check it out but my guess is that it's a 55 and too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Lol. Blindly buying is something I'd like to avoid but I will check out the ads. Thanks

No not the ads, this forum. There's plenty of useful previous threads worth reading on bikes, gear, lights etc. that should give you enough info to then come back here with questions.

The credit card bit is referring to the fact that it often starts with just a bike and before you know it you'll have packages arriving in the post regularly ;

That lapierre is really nice but I believe they made a mistake with the sizing.
    55 is a large not medium, 52 is a medium. You can check out the geometry of that model here.

https://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2015/road/sport-0/audacio-400

If it is a 52 then you should check it out but my guess is that it's a 55 and too big.

Good to know! Il have a look. It is a nice looking bike but if it's too big

• Advertisement

Here's some that might be worth checking out

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-contend-road-bike/17916383
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-contend-1/17768796

You can see info on sizing here
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-2-2017
    Giant recommends either small or medium for you height depending on you inseam.
    There's loads of guides online on how to measure inseam.
    Loads of Giant bikes for sale in that size actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Why don't you hire out a road bike for a couple of weekends to see if u like it that's what I did when I decided to take up cycling knew after the second Saturday that it was the new sport for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

I'm interested in buying a bicycle to use on the road but don't know where to start.
    I will probably buy used but am unsure of anything else.
    Size, type etc.

Can anyone point me in some sort of direction please

A road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Whilst I kinda understand where you're coming from here, I also think its a bit like suggesting to someone to go stand outside in direct sunlight for 5 hours to see *if* they will get sunburnt, and then deal with the (potentially painful) consequences afterwards if they do.

Although I hardly use chamois cream at all now, I opted to take the route of using it even if I didn't need it and then gradually weaned myself off it as time progressed - at the very least it wasn't going to make things any worse - and sure a single tub of the stuff is hardly going to break the bank.

Maybe you just have a hard arse :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A far easier question would be whats your upper limit on spending and you can work backwards from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I've probably recommended this in every "new starter" thread since I started cycling again - https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-100-road-bike-en-s145567.html?___SID=U

I went for the above to do my 20km a day commute after not cycling for about 15 years, so far I'm still perfectly happy, got a new bike for 260 quid, about 4,000km later it's still going strong. Sure it doesn't have high end parts, but as someone who isn't on bikes to win medals I really don't care & I have no high end bike to compare it with so i don't know what I'm even missing. You're in the country so not as big an issue, but the added benefit for me is that it shouldn't be a theft risk either, what's a 260 quid bike worth second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Something like this

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/cube-road-bike/17910736

A pair of these, spend more if you wish your arse will thank you. - We all look terrible in lycra just get passed that bit

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-bib-shorts-1/

Definitely some of this

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/

And I'd highly recommend a helmet of some description.

Don't forget the bits and bobs you could pick up some in aldi this week

Lights,puncture repair kit, spare tube, pump, water bottle and holder.

After all that get on the thing and pedal. Once you're comfortable join a club if you like, it will help with fitness/bike skills then you'll be looking to upgrade everything and once you've tried all the shiney stuff you'll find yourself looking at old rusty bikes as a project.

It's a slippery slope but an enjoyable one.

I'm not sure I'd recommend bib shorts and arse cream as one of the first things a new leisure cyclist should buy...

OP, get a cheap ish commuter bike to start out, think about what you want to do with it, whether thats leisurely cycles along the greenway, cycling around town, trips to the shop, a way to get to your friends gaff to drink beer, racing type stuff... Theres a bike for each task, try to figure out what you want to get out of it. This forum is oriented towards road racing, so you'll get allot of advice about going that direction.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd recommend bib shorts and arse cream as one of the first things a new leisure cyclist should buy...

That's the angle I'm taking too, same with clip-less pedals and shoes. I can't imagine needing these things for 10km cycles to test the waters and see if you enjoy it. Anything you decide you do need can be shipped in one or two days from chain reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm kinda the same OP. I bought a hybrid bike on adverts (in excellent condition) and said I'd see how I go. I got it serviced and it made such a difference....Gears, brakes and tyres are all tip top now. I've bought the cycling shorts and I'm aiming to go for a spin every evening. I might only do 10 or 15 kilometres but it's a great way to get out into the fresh air and to help with the fitness levels.
    Buy a good lock, good lights and a good helmet and you'll be good to go!!

Advertisement