Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start cycling.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Why don't you hire out a road bike for a couple of weekends to see if u like it that's what I did when I decided to take up cycling knew after the second Saturday that it was the new sport for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I'm interested in buying a bicycle to use on the road but don't know where to start.
    I will probably buy used but am unsure of anything else.
    Size, type etc.

Can anyone point me in some sort of direction please

A road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

tuxy wrote: »
    I've done up to 200km cycles and never had a saddle sore.
    I think products like that are only for people that need it. I wouldn't go buying lots of things you may or may not need, keep it simple to start.

Whilst I kinda understand where you're coming from here, I also think its a bit like suggesting to someone to go stand outside in direct sunlight for 5 hours to see *if* they will get sunburnt, and then deal with the (potentially painful) consequences afterwards if they do.

Although I hardly use chamois cream at all now, I opted to take the route of using it even if I didn't need it and then gradually weaned myself off it as time progressed - at the very least it wasn't going to make things any worse - and sure a single tub of the stuff is hardly going to break the bank.

Maybe you just have a hard arse :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A far easier question would be whats your upper limit on spending and you can work backwards from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I've probably recommended this in every "new starter" thread since I started cycling again - https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-100-road-bike-en-s145567.html?___SID=U

I went for the above to do my 20km a day commute after not cycling for about 15 years, so far I'm still perfectly happy, got a new bike for 260 quid, about 4,000km later it's still going strong. Sure it doesn't have high end parts, but as someone who isn't on bikes to win medals I really don't care & I have no high end bike to compare it with so i don't know what I'm even missing. You're in the country so not as big an issue, but the added benefit for me is that it shouldn't be a theft risk either, what's a 260 quid bike worth second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Something like this

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/cube-road-bike/17910736

A pair of these, spend more if you wish your arse will thank you. - We all look terrible in lycra just get passed that bit

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-bib-shorts-1/

Definitely some of this

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/

And I'd highly recommend a helmet of some description.

Don't forget the bits and bobs you could pick up some in aldi this week

Lights,puncture repair kit, spare tube, pump, water bottle and holder.

After all that get on the thing and pedal. Once you're comfortable join a club if you like, it will help with fitness/bike skills then you'll be looking to upgrade everything and once you've tried all the shiney stuff you'll find yourself looking at old rusty bikes as a project.

It's a slippery slope but an enjoyable one.
    Blueshoe wrote: »
    Leisure/ exercise category.

I'm not sure I'd recommend bib shorts and arse cream as one of the first things a new leisure cyclist should buy...

OP, get a cheap ish commuter bike to start out, think about what you want to do with it, whether thats leisurely cycles along the greenway, cycling around town, trips to the shop, a way to get to your friends gaff to drink beer, racing type stuff... Theres a bike for each task, try to figure out what you want to get out of it. This forum is oriented towards road racing, so you'll get allot of advice about going that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd recommend bib shorts and arse cream as one of the first things a new leisure cyclist should buy...

That's the angle I'm taking too, same with clip-less pedals and shoes. I can't imagine needing these things for 10km cycles to test the waters and see if you enjoy it. Anything you decide you do need can be shipped in one or two days from chain reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm kinda the same OP. I bought a hybrid bike on adverts (in excellent condition) and said I'd see how I go. I got it serviced and it made such a difference....Gears, brakes and tyres are all tip top now. I've bought the cycling shorts and I'm aiming to go for a spin every evening. I might only do 10 or 15 kilometres but it's a great way to get out into the fresh air and to help with the fitness levels.
    Buy a good lock, good lights and a good helmet and you'll be good to go!!

Advertisement