Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Westport - parking

• 11-05-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

A new sign has recently been erected at Tesco in Westport to say that only 2 hours parking is allowed, but there is nothing to say what the implications are if you park there for longer. Does anyone know if this is being enforced, or what happens if you are parked there for more than 2 hours?
    There are still "park and stride" signs up as well, so that would indicate that you can stay for longer, but it's all a bit confusing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

immusic wrote: »
    A new sign has recently been erected at Tesco in Westport to say that only 2 hours parking is allowed, but there is nothing to say what the implications are if you park there for longer. Does anyone know if this is being enforced, or what happens if you are parked there for more than 2 hours?
    There are still "park and stride" signs up as well, so that would indicate that you can stay for longer, but it's all a bit confusing.

Do tesco own that entire car park? not theirs totally as there are many other shops, and is there not a separate car park on a different level?

would be a fair walk back into town too... maybe disableds are exempt? sounds like panic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

immusic wrote: »

Tesco in Castlebar have the same sign for years. It's only around Christmas when it's crazy busy they have a warden record the number plates of cars and stop people parking on double yellows. I might have also seen him on busy bank holiday weekends. I can't ever remember seeing him during the week but that's not to say they don't check. I presume they'll do something similar in Westport.
    I've never seen or heard of someone getting a ticket and the ticket guy walking around is a good deterrent.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dudda wrote: »
    Tesco in Castlebar have the same sign for years. It's only around Christmas when it's crazy busy they have a warden record the number plates of cars and stop people parking on double yellows. I might have also seen him on busy bank holiday weekends. I can't ever remember seeing him during the week but that's not to say they don't check. I presume they'll do something similar in Westport.
    I've never seen or heard of someone getting a ticket and the ticket guy walking around is a good deterrent.

The warden is there everyday in Castlebar I'm pretty sure. Never heard of anyone getting done though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The warden is there everyday in Castlebar I'm pretty sure. Never heard of anyone getting done though.

hangs her head.. My disabled badge was a wee bit out of date. Since then I park ed at ALDI and walked through

Long time ago ie last year and now I am carless and housebound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

Mickeroo wrote: »

I parked in Dublin in a Tesco car park at the end of a row when the car park was full, in an additional imaginary parking space, I created myself.

Came back an hour later, after doing my shopping and found someone there was a ticket on my windscreen. The "parking company" had decided in their infinite wisdom to impose a fine on me, and wanted me to ring up a number, and pay their fine by credit card.

As the parking company had no legal authority whatsoever to impose a fine, I rang them up and gave them a bollikin for trying to take money by fraud. The only ones with the legal authority in this country to impose fines (or clamp cars) are State bodies like the Gardai, Co Council etc., not some cowboys chancing their arm.

Never paid the fine and never heard anything further.

All tickets and fines issued by private companies are just bits of paper and best ignored. Likewise, there's nothing to stop anyone removing a clamp from their vehicle unless it has been put there by a body, with the statutory authority to do so, and certainly not a private company trying to extort money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Murt10 wrote: »
    I parked in Dublin in a Tesco car park at the end of a row when the car park was full, in an additional imaginary parking space, I created myself.

Came back an hour later, after doing my shopping and found someone there was a ticket on my windscreen. The "parking company" had decided in their infinite wisdom to impose a fine on me, and wanted me to ring up a number, and pay their fine by credit card.

As the parking company had no legal authority whatsoever to impose a fine, I rang them up and gave them a bollikin for trying to take money by fraud. The only ones with the legal authority in this country to impose fines (or clamp cars) are State bodies like the Gardai, Co Council etc., not some cowboys chancing their arm.

All tickets and fines issued by private companies are just bits of paper and best ignored. Likewise, there's nothing to stop anyone removing a clamp from their vehicle unless it has been put there by a body, with the statutory authority to do so, and certainly not a private company trying to extort money.

If the car park is full then you park somewhere else.
    That's what full means.

Btw this is the same for clothes and bottle banks.. don't Just abandon your crap on the ground because they are full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the car park is full then you park somewhere else.
    That's what full means.

Btw this is the same for clothes and bottle banks.. don't Just abandon your crap on the ground because they are full.

Who rattled your cage. Hard night last night????

I never said anything about littering or encouraged any other illegal and disgusting behaviour it in any way. If that's how you behave, and I wouldn't be surprised if you do, I would personally love to see you prosecuted.

I was making a point about badly designed car parks, and private companies fraudulently conning money off unsuspecting members of the public. This is what they are attempting to do by imitating legal parking tickets issued by statutory bodies, and encouraging.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Go have breakfast lads and enjoy the nice morning. Keep it civil please

Murt10 wrote: »

Nor did I...

Advertisement