Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorcycle ibt/learner permit

Options
  • 11-05-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi guys does anyone know if any insurance company's will cover me on a new learner permit without having to pay €500 for the ibt coarse??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They might but since you can't legally ride on the road without doing IBT it's just throwing money away as you won't be covered* and run the risk of getting the policy cancelled, that's a whole lot of hassle

*you might still have 3rd party cover but the insurance companies have started to recoup these payouts and since they are civil cases you will be loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Carole Nash let me take out the policy without the IBT done(Principle would not) but as above you need the IBT completed before you're allowed on the road. I did my IBT about 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Doylerzz wrote: »
    hi guys does anyone know if any insurance company's will cover me on a new learner permit without having to pay €500 for the ibt coarse??

Are you looking to avoid doing the ibt all together or need fire and theft cover while waiting to do the IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

I think he may want to do the ibt on his own bike in which he'll need insurance?
    Carole Nash have given me insurance without asking for the ibt.
    When I rang around the missus to get a quote most of the companies said she,d need ibt. Unsure they were just saying that legally she needs it or if they'd ask for it if I went through with the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You need it legally but the insurance companies ask for your cover. So it's void if there's no ibt and someone says there is. I've been with CN, liberty and principal and they all asked for the IBT but as I had it I didn't have a conversation about insuring a bike without one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Doylerzz

thanks, is it a new enough thing because I know lads that didn't have to do it only a year or 2 ago? I have it booked anyway but when I heard the price I wondered was it mandatory or could I get away without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Doylerzz

I was wondering if I could avoid it altogether to be honest but it looks like I have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doylerzz wrote: »
    thanks, is it a new enough thing because I know lads that didn't have to do it only a year or 2 ago? I have it booked anyway but when I heard the price I wondered was it mandatory or could I get away without it.

It's highly unlikely that they had an exemption from IBT since it's been a requirement for 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The only people exempt now are the ones who got their Learner permit before October 1999 and kept it renewed. (They had no restriction of 25kw)
    Everyone else on a learner permit for any class of bike have to do IBT.
    Insurance companies may insure you, BUT the onus is on yourself to have complied with the law.
    The insurance companies will find any way to avoid paying out money.

Advertisement