Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows updates - none it seems?

Options
  • 11-05-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭

For ages now I've been getting alerts every day about new updates being available and more often than not I just continue with installing the important updates. However today I got a warning stating something like I need to update the PC as it was never updated and when I looked at what updates were previously installed there were none.

The 2 important updates for today were silverlight and MS security essentials but there would probably have been hundreds of updates installed since I got the PC but its showing as zero updates installed.

Im running Windows 7 professional and the only recent updates installed (in the last day or two) were for MS security essentials...I think. Nothing out of the ordinary anyhow. Can anyone throw any light on the subject and is this something I should be worried about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Where you were looking for, "View update history" or "Installed Updates"?

https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/161700-win7-view-windows-update-history-blank-missing.html

Also see C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Update history is stored in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

I this file gets deleted or renamed, history will be gone. This, however, does not remove/uninstall updates itself.

Have you used "Fix IT" or troubleshoot windows update with build in tools?
    Have you used "cleaning" tools like CCleaner or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where you were looking for, "View update history" or "Installed Updates"?

https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/161700-win7-view-windows-update-history-blank-missing.html

Also see C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Update history is stored in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

I this file gets deleted or renamed, history will be gone. This, however, does not remove/uninstall updates itself.

Have you used "Fix IT" or troubleshoot windows update with build in tools?
    Have you used "cleaning" tools like CCleaner or similar?
    After booting up a little message always appears down at the bottom right of the screen saying "New updates are available". When I click on that a window opens showing the available updates and links to previously installed updates .... see below. It states that updates were never installed but if you look at the second pic I checked to see what updates were installed by going in through the control panel and there were lots of updates although I see none for the MS Security Essentials which are normally installed most days. Its interesting to note that there were only a total of 9 updates installed so far this year but maybe that does not include the almost daily MS security essential updates.

I think I may have run Advanced System Care in the last couple of days but I've ran this programme lots of times in the past but this never happened.

Im not very technically minded so dont know how to access the list following the links you posted

Pic-2.jpg

Pic-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I see what you mean now.

I have same on Win8

This "never" never bothered me, but you can check - not confirmed, but i think its because you have set "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
    Go Windows Update\Change settings , change setting to "install automatically" , run update cycle and see if this changes.

MS Security Essentials is antivirus software, you getting its antivirus definitions updates - is not same as Windows updates and won't be listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

muffler wrote: »
    Im not very technically minded so dont know how to access the list following the links you posted

Time to start looking for an upgrade then. Win 7 support ends in January and itll begin nagging you about that fact from this month onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ED E wrote: »
    Time to start looking for an upgrade then. Win 7 support ends in January and itll begin nagging you about that fact from this month onwards.
    Yeah I read that somewhere. I think there was an offer one time to upgrade to 10 but long gone I think.

Any tips on the cheapest way to upgrade?

• Advertisement
Advertisement