Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove hoggets tails

• 11-05-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi. I bought some hogget ewes but there tails were never removed, they are a torture for getting dirty. Just wondering is there any way of removing them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

Could you clip the tail well and try a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

I thought about that but would the tail not be to big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Back in the day people used to cut lambs tails with a sharp knife. Not hoggets mind.

Fierce cruel when you think about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Done them with the ring before and it worked grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

Aravo wrote: »
    Could you clip the tail well and try a ring.

A lads a ring at that age, chat vet, you are coming into a bad time of the year and later on they might not have healed fully for breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

148multi wrote: »
    A lads a ring at that age, chat vet, you are coming into a bad time of the year and later on they might not have healed fully for breeding.

Yeah, you're on very dodgy grounds removing tails after they're lambs. They can be removed for animal welfare reasons but that would be something to talk to your vet about and there's no way all will need to be removed for welfare reasons.

I never tail my replacements, just crutch them before shearing. Any lambs with dirty tails don't get kept for breeding. Some 25% of a ewes fat reserves are kept on their tails, iirc, so it's there for a reason.

If their backsides are dirty with long tails, they're going to be dirty with short tails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They need to be done as young lambs agreed but it is better to take tails off sheep that aren’t done than deal with the inevitable Shiite and maggots that come. Trim tight with shears and put a rubber ring on. But leave tail as long as practical so it’s on the thinnest possible part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Matty6270 wrote: »
    I thought about that but would the tail not be to big

No, it’ll work. Done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

davidk1394 wrote:
    No, it’ll work. Done it before

It's the way to go. It's too warm to be cutting tails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Aravo wrote: »
    It's the way to go. It's too warm to be cutting tails.

When I was contract shearing (30 years ago) I used to wring them off, would only be an odd one, very quick and doesn't bleed if done right.
    PROBABLY ILLEGAL NOW.........probably was illegal then too :D

Advertisement