Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walker saorview+ box not turning on

• 11-05-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭

I have a walker saorview+ box (wp6500ttr) and today it's not turning on. The standby light is on, but pressing the power button on the remote does nothing (tried with new batteries too). Using the power button on the box doesn't turn it on either, it just makes the first led number display feintly light up (the volume down button lights up the next, and the volume up makes the next one light up).

Does anyone have an idea what the issue is, and if it's fixable?

Assuming it isn't fixable (and that the HDD isn't the problem), is it possible to get the recording off the hdd and watch them?

Any recommendations for a replacement? Already have a Freesat box, so a combi box wouldn't seem attractive menu wise.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I am stating the obvious, but have you tried unplugging it from the mains and restarting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hoagy wrote: »
    I am stating the obvious, but have you tried unplugging it from the mains and restarting it?

Yeah, a few times.

I've taken the hdd out, put it in a dock, and it's not visible in Windows. I'm having a think now about whether I want to buy a new HDD or just get a new box.

in my 30 seconds of googling, it looks like a new box would be cheaper (but no recording etc). I need to weigh up losing functionality against the fact that the saorview box is turned on once a week at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Chances are the HDD is using the Linux ext3 or ext4 format system which windows wont directly see. AFAIk it is possible to get a driver so windows can read Linux drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Thanks for all the responses so far.

The HDD seems to be dead, and it looks like a generic box is cheaper than a new HDD. We don't watch it enough to justify spending much on it (or to justify the cost of the TV licence...).

Advertisement