Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unorganised Workplace

Options
  • 12-05-2019 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So I wanted other peoples opinions on this. Im not going to mention the name of the company, just that it is a supermarket.

During the whole interview process and induction I made it very clear that I cannot work mid week because of school but I was scheduled to work mid week during school hours so I had to leave school. I went into work for my first day and had no previous experience so I was completely lost. I got my uniform and was told I would get a locker the next day I was in. I was brought to the manager and my first impression of him is that he was very unapproachable. I could tell that they had no idea I was coming in at all and they were trying to think of what to do with me. In the end I was with a girl shadowing her for the day and I had to learn everything from her. I was not told where to go for the lockers or shown where to find my working hours until I asked this girl.

I was then meant to work on the Friday but once again it was too close to school hours and with needing to get a bus and then walk home I wouldnt have gotten home until an hour and a half after the time I was meant to start. I told them I would be unable to go in because of this early in the morning before school giving them 6 hours notice. I was told I gave them too little notice and you could tell that they were irritated. I went home after school and read the handbook. In the handbook and on my contract it says that 1 hour is the minimum amount of time to call in. I gave them 6 hours...

Finally today was my second official day. I went in and thankfully I met a girl that I am friendly with already. She showed me where to find out what department Im working in but on the list it had my department but it was crossed out. I didnt know what was going on. In the end I ended up shadowing this girl for about an hour until the manager showed up and told me they were trying to call me for the past 10 minutes. Mind you we arent allowed have our phones on us so I didnt know. The manager told me they didnt even know I was in even though my shift started nearly 2 hours earlier. The manager brought me to where we can see our schedule and told me they want me to go in tomorrow to be trained in the bakery. I wasnt really happy for theee reasons. One being I was just getting the hang of shop floor. Second I already have to pay for the uniform I have now and I dont want to have to pay for another one with it and finally, the manager gave me less than 24 hours notice. I wasnt even meant to be working tomorrow so I made plans with my family. Also I never got my locker (in case you were wondering 😂)

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Get a different job

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Get a different job

Im in the middle of applying for a lot of them. I have only been with this job 2 days and I already hate it. I think I would like it if it wasn't like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Is it a part time job? Most retail outlets want people working as many weekends as possible. When you say you can't work mid-week, is that Wednesday or weekdays?

tedpan wrote: »
    Is it a part time job? Most retail outlets want people working as many weekends as possible. When you say you can't work mid-week, is that Wednesday or weekdays?

Yes it is part time. And I meant weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You said in your OP that you had to leave school for this job- are you saying you left in the middle of your Leaving Cert year just for this supermarket job? I might have got you wrong but that's madness if that's the case. As for the job, just look around for another one if their culture bothers you that much. Its an open market and you would surely get a better job if you looked elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Place sounds like a mess.

Have a talk to the manager about these issues before quitting.

Maybe they can fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It sounds like Dunnes and you should leave. They have a horrendous reputation for a reason. Even after years in the place on a permanent contract they were still rostering me for times I couldn't do midweek building up a horrendous late record that they later tried to hold against me. Attempting to ring me during college exams...because other college students working there had already finished theirs even though I'd already told them when I was free to work.

You said in your OP that you had to leave school for this job- are you saying you left in the middle of your Leaving Cert year just for this supermarket job? I might have got you wrong but that's madness if that's the case. As for the job, just look around for another one if their culture bothers you that much. Its an open market and you would surely get a better job if you looked elsewhere.

Yes I had to leave in the middle of the school day to go in for my very first day. I am looking around for another job but it is very difficult when you have no experience.

Ialison wrote: »
    Yes I had to leave in the middle of the school day to go in for my very first day. I am looking around for another job but it is very difficult when you have no experience.

Oh ok, I thought you had actually left going to school altogether to work full time, which would have been madness. I think maybe its a good lesson that your first job may not be the best in terms of pay or status but if you can stick it out a few months you can gloss it up on your cv and look elsewhere. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Have you sat the leaving cert?
    Or do you plan to sit it this year?

Without a qualification the types of jobs you will be considered for are very low paid/low skill.
    Most of these have a very high turnover in staff.
    And very few have much in terms of structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

About half way through your OP I said you were talking about DS. Retail in general is a fairly erratic industry and what you have described wouldn't be uncommon but as this is your first job this experience for your CV is invaluable as certainly in my case unless someone really gave a good impression I would immediately dismiss a CV without any work experience.

Start sending your CV around to other retailers OP but under no circumstances if you get called in for an interview bad mouth who you work for. Just say that they require work during the week and you currently can't offer that during school term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

They make you pay for your uniform ?

Thats a disgraceful practice, and one that has been banned in some sectors.

OP I would just walk to be honest. It's not on to be pulled out of school for a part time supermarket job. I suspect your parents would throw a wobbler if they knew.

Plenty of retail summer work coming up. Give this company a wide berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

I would say ask to speak with the manager and let him know that you are student and would not be able to work week days and if they have a problem with that, they should tell you as you would not be able to work weekdays because of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

You left school because they rostered you on a weekday? Are you crazy? You say no, you don't leave school!

So I wanted other peoples opinions on this. Im not going to mention the name of the company, just that it is a supermarket.

During the whole interview process and induction I made it very clear that I cannot work mid week because of school but I was scheduled to work mid week during school hours so I had to leave school. I went into work for my first day and had no previous experience so I was completely lost. I got my uniform and was told I would get a locker the next day I was in. I was brought to the manager and my first impression of him is that he was very unapproachable. I could tell that they had no idea I was coming in at all and they were trying to think of what to do with me. In the end I was with a girl shadowing her for the day and I had to learn everything from her. I was not told where to go for the lockers or shown where to find my working hours until I asked this girl.

I was then meant to work on the Friday but once again it was too close to school hours and with needing to get a bus and then walk home I wouldnt have gotten home until an hour and a half after the time I was meant to start. I told them I would be unable to go in because of this early in the morning before school giving them 6 hours notice. I was told I gave them too little notice and you could tell that they were irritated. I went home after school and read the handbook. In the handbook and on my contract it says that 1 hour is the minimum amount of time to call in. I gave them 6 hours...

Finally today was my second official day. I went in and thankfully I met a girl that I am friendly with already. She showed me where to find out what department Im working in but on the list it had my department but it was crossed out. I didnt know what was going on. In the end I ended up shadowing this girl for about an hour until the manager showed up and told me they were trying to call me for the past 10 minutes. Mind you we arent allowed have our phones on us so I didnt know. The manager told me they didnt even know I was in even though my shift started nearly 2 hours earlier. The manager brought me to where we can see our schedule and told me they want me to go in tomorrow to be trained in the bakery. I wasnt really happy for theee reasons. One being I was just getting the hang of shop floor. Second I already have to pay for the uniform I have now and I dont want to have to pay for another one with it and finally, the manager gave me less than 24 hours notice. I wasnt even meant to be working tomorrow so I made plans with my family. Also I never got my locker (in case you were wondering 😂)

What do you think?

Update. I quit the job and am now looking around for a new one.

Update. I quit the job and am now looking around for a new one.

All the best OP, just leave it off the CV, you wont even remember it in a few weeks. Something else will pop up soon.

Advertisement