Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduating without work experience

Options
  • 12-05-2019 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

Work placement is a part of the course I'm in for 3rd year, supposed to take place from March for 16 weeks but I haven't been able to get a placement and time has run out now to complete it before the end of August

I had interviews but other people in my course got them so somebody was going to be in this situation but it ended up being me, and the person helping us was supposed to be the one getting the placements in the first place but only done it for 2 out of 8 currently working, the others getting placements in other areas of the country that didn't matter to me or using family/personal contacts

Hearing of people getting paid to stay for the summer and offers for after graduating has me worried now about my prospects moving forward, it's been really annoying me the last few days as I done all I could with trying to secure placement, I was looking in a small area since I needed to stay local with any realistic chance of work placement being unpaid, and false promises from our placement co-ordinator never coming up

Will it affect me once I graduate next May/June and begin looking for full time work in a graduate type position in financial services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Normally these courses go 6 months in one year or 12 but you then skip and do forth with the next year.
    Really though you shouldn't rely on the supervisor to sort everything out. I sorted placement myself as I knew I was mid table in the class so would be overlooked for placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Everyone did try to get placements themselves, as I said most got placements by themselves, but there was trouble getting them at all and only 2 started on time, it's on the course for a reason but there was little to no help or support provided but alas none of that really matters now at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

While trying to secure the placement what have you been doing with your time?
    What field are you studying in?
    Not trying to scar you but if you couldn't secure a placement, why do you think, it will be easy to get job after you graduate without any experience?
    Seems like its a competitive industry.
    Hence you have to have a plan to get 1 year's experience between now and when you graduate.
    How can you do this?
    Update your CV and see what skills you need to get in the door of your field. Then try to get experience that can prove these skills.
    Eg. taking up a role/volunteering at a university club. that meets at least once a week.
    that would be the easiest way as that is the experience I used on my CV as well as group projects in college for intra personal skills.
    An entry level role esp for grads requires experience but must not always be industry experience.
    The first question I asked about what you have been doing with your time. That is very vital but you are lucky that that time lapse would be very obvious on your CV as you would put e.g. "Sept 2014- May 2020, UCD College, BSC Accounting" on your CV unlike if you have been searching for 5-12months post graduation, so this is a little bit to your advantage.
    However, some recruiters know that you would have had the opportunity for placement and may ask you about that if they feel like the experience you put on your CV is not strong enough. Hence, you need to bear this in mind when choosing where and what to do to get this experience before you graduate.
    SO, even after you graduate, if you are still job searching, try to keep doing something that can be added to your CV.
    I am not sure what field you are in but if you say that, I can give you an advise on what to do to get some experience if I can think of anything.
    Wish you all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There’s no ‘time lapse’, its a part of the course during 3rd year, not a year out like other courses

We have modules now with exams in May same as always, I’ve been busy enough with that and the ones working are obviously ubber busy

One of the reasons its hard to get a placement in financial services is you cant be in a customer facing/selling role without the relevant qualifications, you’re restricted to mostly admin work, to the best of my knowledge anyway

I have lots of other things for my cv, its just the relevant work experience that I’ll be lacking

There’s no ‘time lapse’, its a part of the course during 3rd year, not a year out like other courses

We have modules now with exams in May same as always, I’ve been busy enough with that and the ones working are obviously ubber busy

One of the reasons its hard to get a placement in financial services is you cant be in a customer facing/selling role without the relevant qualifications, you’re restricted to mostly admin work, to the best of my knowledge anyway

I have lots of other things for my cv, its just the relevant work experience that I’ll be lacking

Financial services?

Have you tried the likes of Northern Trust of similar? Firms are crying out for people. What has been the feedback from interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

similar position to you a couple of yrs ago

Do a masters, exactly what I did.and try get part time work somewhere.

At the end, I had a stronger education than others and also had some work to my name.

Totally changed my outlook on things and now have a great job, perhaps better than what I would have gotten otherwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Concentrate on getting your final exams. They are much more important at the moment than a work placement.

If you qualify the world is at your feet. If you are young go and travel. Forget about mortgages, pensions , insurance premiums and rubbish clothes you will grow out of ( both literally and mentally). Go and see the world. The big Finance Companies will still be there ( hopefully) when you get back. The theories you have crammed in college for will still be as useless/useful in the next few years.

Go and enjoy yourself. All the people in your year who have placements already are not as lucky as you think they are. They are just jumping on to the rat race a little earlier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was looking in a small area since I needed to stay local

Does that mean outside most of the major locations for financial services companies? If you limit your choices, then you can't go around compiling that college failed to find you a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

Ok I see what you mean.
    Well the best you can do is to hope for the best while highlighting the skills that you have gotten from these roles that can be useful.
    You will definitely get a job no matter how hard it is. Maybe you can try smaller firms for short term placements etc when you have a break as one poster m mentioned.
    Also make sure that you put in your best with your exams so that you don't fall below the accepted grade (someone also mentioned that).
    A masters may seem like a good option but when you think of the fact that you will be investing not less than €12k for tuition and living expense just to earn the same thing a recent Bsc Grad will be earning, I would only consider that as my last option.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Kind regards,
    Egwolo.

Advertisement