Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longest off-road cycle path in Dublin area?

• 12-05-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

I'm trying to get into cycling longish distances (> 50km). So far I've been using the Phoenix Park for this, but any 60 km cycle in the Phoenix Park is a bit annoying, as I can never go all out due to pedestrians and young kids being almost everywhere.

I'm looking for the longest off-road cycle path in the Dublin area. Preferably one without any pedestrians in it. Would I be right in saying the Sutton-Howth Clontarf Road would be my best bet for this? Or are there any alternatives you would prefer?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are not really any off road paths that long, and most off road ones run along side paths too. Clontarf one is great, but it's often got people, dogs, kids crossing it.

If you're in the park, you're better off sticking to the road, and doing laps of it. Parts of the south side are closed off to through traffic, so you don't have much in the way of cars. When you get a bit more confident you could head down towards Strawberry beds and loop back to the park. Or go by Clonsilla and out towards Clonee/Dunboyne and back by Kilbride & Hollystown. The traffic around there is never so bad that you should feel uneasy I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

TBH, nothing beats exploring a warren of quiet laneways in the countryside.

Raam wrote: »

Agreed, you don't even have to venture that far to get to some. Once you get past Blanchardstown or Finglas, you're in a type of countryside. Loads of r roads to get lost down where at most you'll meet a few locals, cyclists and the odd tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Unfortunately quiet country lanes often means not so quiet aggressive dogs. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

despite having passed the entrance to it god knows how many times, i went down dunbro lane beside the airport for the first time today. lovely little back lane; you'd swear you were in the middle of nowhere (were it not for the drone of jet engines in the background).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Wicklow Way is mostly Off road...

despite having passed the entrance to it god knows how many times, i went down dunbro lane beside the airport for the first time today. lovely little back lane; you'd swear you were in the middle of nowhere (were it not for the drone of jet engines in the background).

You often meet escaped sheep along there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Longest off-roads around Dublin are probably the canals, though the talk of nasty muggings on the Grand canal has put me off that route for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I use the grand canal for work Its ok during commuting hours, at the weekend I’d imagine it would be ok in the mornings, I wouldn’t be on after canal after 7pm. Potentially you have from Ballsbridge out so you would have a reasonable 45min to an hour each way.

If you wanted some other options , maybe investigate some commuter train routes and you might find quite routes outside Dublin, or if you have a car stick the bike in the back and head down to wicklow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement