Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email problem

Options
  • 12-05-2019 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I had a warning from my other email address saying there was a problem with unrecognized address logging into my work email when I opened it I saw my payslip had been opened I’m worried .what can people do with this if anything ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

This is not email, but users, who use email account, problem.
    First you should worry how you account was accessed? Password to weak or was it publicly available. Was that same password used for other accounts/sign in?

I hope you have all them already changed.

Depend on who accessed it: was it "legit" hack, or just one of your colleagues, read your password of the sticker at your desk, wanted to check you "being paid appropriately"?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

This is not email, but users, who use email account, problem.
    First you should worry how you account was accessed? Password to weak or was it publicly available. Was that same password used for other accounts/sign in?

I hope you have all them already changed.

Depend on who accessed it: was it "legit" hack, or just one of your colleagues, read your password of the sticker at your desk, wanted to check you "being paid appropriately"?

No my password is something not relevant to anything associated in my life but I’m worried or should I be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

No my password is something not relevant to anything associated in my life but I’m worried or should I be
    Update you password anyway if suspect that account was breached.
    Do you have IT looking after you business tech - consult with them.

Who you with - O365, G, other?

What was exact wording on warning message (remove personal details). Did it say "attempted" or "accessed", IP address listed, other details? Who was sender?
    Could it be that warning message itself was scam, was there link to follow, prompt for credentials?

What make you think message with payslip was looked into?

Did you fail victim of some scam lately, where you received message with link to web site, where you were prompted to confirm your credentials/sign in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Aren't most payslips sent in a PIN protected PDF format ? Any company I have ever worked for this has been the default.
    So if someone did access your email with your credentials then they probably found the email from your payroll containing the PIN for your payslip (if this is how it is sent). Request a new PIN if possible ? As above change your password though I don't think this is what's happened.

With Office 365 it's possible for an admin to access your email without your password or you knowing anything about it. This access is logged though. Who looks after your office email ? Onsite IT or a separate company ?

Is it possible that you yourself accessed your own email from a device that had a VPN installed ? We regularly get users who either have some form of AV on their phone or are trying to circumvent Netflix's geographical restrictions via a VPN. Office 365 will flag this and an unusual event or access from an unexpected location. This would explain the "unrecognised address" ?

Ken

Advertisement