Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally got planning

• 12-05-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi All!!!

After nearly 2 years of fighting and waiting, we’ve finally received planning permission for a 159 sq/m 2 storey house out in the “shticks”

Before we even worry about money, i’ve been told to do some proper research and i’m already looking to tear my hair out,

We have the 1st phase or architectural drawings and now i’ve been told that for phase 2, I need to decide if i’m going heat pump/solar pv/HRV/underfloor heating and also the wiring and plumbing of the house???

Pardon my ignorance, I knew this was gonna be tough but I assumed that would happen when the building started.

Was really hoping someone who recently built or is currently building could offer some advice on heating.

I keep being told that heating is the most important thing, and I thought with all the building regulations, I needed to have a heat pump and/or solar ( I want solar that can actually power the house instead of just heating water ) and/or MHRV, is there really a need for 2 out of 3? And is underfloor heating all its cracked up to be? I bumped into a guy a few weeks ago who swore blind that I needed to go with a geothermal heat pump and low temperature radiators,

To say i’m a bit lost is an understatement so any and all help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

K

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need to decide all of this well in advance of even appointing a contractor or getting to site.

You need to work out what air tightness strategy you can achieve with your budget and this has an effect on ventilation, heating and insulation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi All!!!

After nearly 2 years of fighting and waiting, we’ve finally received planning permission for a 159 sq/m 2 storey house out in the “shticks”

Before we even worry about money, i’ve been told to do some proper research and i’m already looking to tear my hair out,

We have the 1st phase or architectural drawings and now i’ve been told that for phase 2, I need to decide if i’m going heat pump/solar pv/HRV/underfloor heating and also the wiring and plumbing of the house???

Pardon my ignorance, I knew this was gonna be tough but I assumed that would happen when the building started.

Was really hoping someone who recently built or is currently building could offer some advice on heating.

I keep being told that heating is the most important thing, and I thought with all the building regulations, I needed to have a heat pump and/or solar ( I want solar that can actually power the house instead of just heating water ) and/or MHRV, is there really a need for 2 out of 3? And is underfloor heating all its cracked up to be? I bumped into a guy a few weeks ago who swore blind that I needed to go with a geothermal heat pump and low temperature radiators,

To say i’m a bit lost is an understatement so any and all help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

K

Sounds like you need to talk to an independent professional who can walk you through all the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

I can only talk of my own experiences, we went with UFH fed with an A2W heat pump. Heat recovery system aswell, the heating is smashing and far as I'm concerned when it keeps my better warm then I believe the arguement is over, there's a certain company that organise events to inform you of their products. PM me and I can send u their name, found them very good

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

I can only talk of my own experiences, we went with UFH fed with an A2W heat pump. Heat recovery system aswell, the heating is smashing and far as I'm concerned when it keeps my better warm then I believe the arguement is over, there's a certain company that organise events to inform you of their products. PM me and I can send u their name, found them very good

Thanks !!!!

We're not going for a " passive " house as we are not flush with the budget for this at the moment so any bit of advice is appreciated,
    Will PM you now

Our architect has asked that we decide the heating side of things prior to sending stuff out to tender.

I'm assuming we'll be going with Masonry Cavity Wall but i am intrigued on the SIPS/ICF route also

Thanks again
    K

Advertisement