Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre pressure query

• 13-05-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice here as I'm a complete novice. I have a decent mountain bike and am starting to use it again after a few years for road cycling on the weekends. I cleaned the bike up and got 2 new tubes.

I'm not sure what the PSI markings mean on the tyre and also how much air I should be putting into the tyres.

On the tyre it has 2.5 to 4.5 Bar. But I don't know what that means on the pump I'm using. So, I pumped the back tyre and it felt very pumped up, but the gauge on the pump only seemed to go to 1.5. Should I continue pumping until it gets to 2.5?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

chewed wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice here as I'm a complete novice. I have a decent mountain bike and am starting to use it again after a few years for road cycling on the weekends. I cleaned the bike up and got 2 new tubes.

I'm not sure what the PSI markings mean on the tyre and also how much air I should be putting into the tyres.

On the tyre it has 2.5 to 4.5 Bar. But I don't know what that means on the pump I'm using. So, I pumped the back tyre and it felt very pumped up, but the gauge on the pump only seemed to go to 1.5. Should I continue pumping until it gets to 2.5?

Check with another pump and gauge. I’d say that gauge is knackered if as you say tyres feel very pumped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

hesker wrote: »
    Check with another pump and gauge. I’d say that gauge is knackered if as you say tyres feel very pumped up.

It's a brand new pump because the older one I had gave a similar gauge, so wasn't sure it was working! I'll double check the older pump again to make sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It may feel pumped up and not really be that great if your hand grip strength is not great. For road riding on those tyres, you would want it upto 65psi(inner)/4.5bar(outer number on the pump). For off road, I would go for 45psi but alot of people would go far lower.

Borrow someone elses pump to double check your own, and make sure you have it attached properly so it reads the pressure correctly.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It may feel pumped up and not really be that great if your hand grip strength is not great. For road riding on those tyres, you would want it upto 65psi(inner)/4.5bar(outer number on the pump). For off road, I would go for 45psi but alot of people would go far lower.

Borrow someone elses pump to double check your own, and make sure you have it attached properly so it reads the pressure correctly.

Cheers! I'll do that and make sure pump is reading correctly. I just didn't want to over pump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

You could pick up a fairly inexpensive pressure gauge on ebay like this zefal OP. I wouldn’t trust the gauge on the pump personally. I use this one and am happy with it. Also i prefer using psi. :p
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEFAL-MTB-CYCLE-PRESSURE-GAUGE-140psi-FOR-ANY-BIKE-WITH-SCHRADER-CAR-VALVES/392284331482?hash=item5b55f7ddda:g:4ZUAAOSwd4tT4PYk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have 2.25” tyres on my 29er and only ever put 40psi in the rear and 35psi front and it’s more than enough for use on the road as well as off road.

If the tyres feels fairly solid then your good to go. If the ride seems very harsh let a bit out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chewed wrote: »
    am starting to use it again after a few years for road cycling on the weekends.
    those tyres look like they'll be hard work for road cycling.

those tyres look like they'll be hard work for road cycling.

I did 35k yesterday and it seemed fine. Hands were a bit numb though.

Advertisement