Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brighton Sack Hughton

• 13-05-2019 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Very surprised.

It’s a shame that at smaller clubs the achievement of staying in the premier league gets forgotten and is no longer considered success.

It’s seems doing well eventually goes against you.

I understand sometimes the need for a different voice and the struggles of late but he has done a super job with Brighton and they’ll do well to find better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Its not even on bbc app yet, you sure ?
    Edit: see it now on Brighton site, :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Soups123 wrote: »
    Very surprised.

What? sack the manager seems the in thing in that league!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just like that, I hope they get relegated now! Done a fantastic job with them and stabilised them brilliantly before promotion and now being a premier league club. Bad run of form but they seemed to be doing ok for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I thought they done very well to survive in the end.

They lost to Cardiff at home 2-0 a few games ago but then drew a few very tough games to get them over the line and finishing 17th.

TBH, thats about their position in the PL, they'll do very well if they manage to stay up again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

7 losses and 3 draws to finish the season. Doing it immediately after surviving is the smart time to do it too. Time to get someone in and have a proper opportunity to prepare for the new season. They looked a poor side yesterday, and badly coached tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Can’t believe that, they must have someone lined up because I just don’t see the sense in this move otherwise. He has been a very good manager and he won’t be out of work long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What a weird decision..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    7 losses and 3 draws to finish the season. Doing it immediately after surviving is the smart time to do it too. Time to get someone in and have a proper opportunity to prepare for the new season. They looked a poor side yesterday, and badly coached tbh.

Nope, they were up Against the best team in premier league history. Hardly a sacking offence to lose to City.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What a weird decision..

How is it? They’ve had a terrible season and only stayed up because the bottom three are more abject than them. Definitely time for a fresh set of eyes there. He did a good job overall, but they’ve been awful to finish the year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thats cause they have poor players. Shane Duffy is their best player. In all honesty where do you think they should be?

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Nope, they were up Against the best team in premier league history. Hardly a sacking offence to lose to City.

The City game was a mere fullstop on some horrendous form. If the board were considering his position, the performance yesterday would have done nothing to sway the conversation in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't follow them that closely, so from my somewhat uninformed perspective, I'd have thought they were in the 'survival in EPL is a good season' category.

Has Hughton spent poorly, or is he failing to get the best from the players at his disposal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Prob one for the Things in Football that grind my gears thread but comon the ****? seriously where do clubs like Brighton think they should be? look at some of the names in the championship, far bigger clubs than Brighton and yet Hughton has got Brighton into the PL and kept them there.

Poor decision, sometimes I think Hughton is a victim of his own success!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Extremely harsh, at the same time I can see why they did it. They're in stick or twist territory and have decided to roll the dice. Southampton did something similar a few years ago when they sacked Nigel Adkins which seemed a bizarre decision at the time, turned out to be inspired as they replaced him with Poch.

Thats cause they have poor players. Shane Duffy is their best player. In all honesty where do you think they should be?

Wrong way to look at it imo. He’s had a good half decade there, but the players are responding less well to his methods and they’d be favourites for the drop if he stayed. Good time to roll the dice on a new approach.

You can’t get away with performing terribly week in, week out without consequence. They’ve been horrendous since they scraped by Millwall in the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The City game was a mere fullstop on some horrendous form. If the board were considering his position, the performance yesterday would have done nothing to sway the conversation in his favour.

He has done a great job and to be fair got them across the end line this season. It’s a very limited squad so changing the man who has consistently kept them save is dangerous.

I get your probably disappointed they didn’t do better yesterday but they where up against the best team in the league who can make most teams look **** on there day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

He must be a bit annoyed with Jahanbakhsh. Club record signing, scored 20+ in the Eredivisie last season, and not a single goal or assist out of him for Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

How is it? They’ve had a terrible season and only stayed up because the bottom three are more abject than them. Definitely time for a fresh set of eyes there. He did a good job overall, but they’ve been awful to finish the year out.

Now if that were a sackable offence I think there's one chirpy manager at Old Trafford who'd be shipped out also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't follow them that closely, so from my somewhat ignorant uninformed perspective, I'd have thought they were in the 'survival in EPL is a good season' category.

Has Hughton spent poorly, or is he failing to get the best from the players at his disposal?

Bad signings is definitely one. Jahanbaksh and Locadia were expensive flops.

Edit: I do still think sacking him is an awful decision. But I can only think its due to poor signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wrong way to look at it imo. He’s had a good half decade there, but the players are responding less well to his methods and they’d be favourites for the drop if he stayed. Good time to roll the dice on a new approach.

You can’t get away with performing terribly week in, week out without consequence. They’ve been horrendous since they scraped by Millwall in the cup.

It was a time for calm heads for Brighton board to be honest. It's a very rash decision. He did a good job. He had very tough run in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I get the impression that things had got a bit stale at Brighton and that the fans weren't always happy with his team selections. That was quite a slump they had too so maybe they felt it was a time for change. I'm sure some other club will come in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

same whinging went on when Southampton sacked a manager in the past.

Madness.

Is it only the second time in their history that they'll spend 3 consecutive seasons in the top flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Kept them up two years in a row, making the club several million in the process. Semi final of the FA cup.

Fair enough they want better football, but at very least give him the send off he deserves in front of his home fans yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its given the new manager all summer to change it how he feels fit so Brighton have done something right in that regard.

We could be here in 12 months time praising the board for making such a brave call as Brighton stay up with a few games to go, they could equally be cannon fodder next season and end up relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Think they are fearful that the form towards the end of the season will continue. Had Cardiff beaten Palace they could have stayed up if results stayed the same yesterday, even with Brighton drawing at Arsenal.
    Their transfer policy is as bad as anyone in the league, spent a fair bit on players who are not good enough for the starting XI

• Very odd decision

Rash to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hughton is only a manager who'll ever get you so far tbf. If Brighton want to push on a bit, he's not the one to do it. They're guaranteed relegation battles with him every year no matter how well they spend. They've a few good players and players who can setup to play a bit more of an open game but Hughton is never going to do that. Have shown a willingness to spend too so if they can hit on players a bit more or the likes of Locadia and Alireza come good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Expected this given how close they came to relegation. His recruitment hasn't been great. Was hoping that tic would keep Lennon for next season but Hughton would be a good natural fit for them and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there next season. Brighton for relegation next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Don't really understand the shock at this. Hughton has done a good job there but they need to improve now which they've stopped doing under him. Whether they will under the new man will come down to several factors the main one obviously being who that man is. There's just no point in Brighton sitting around waiting to get relegated next season just because of a sense of loyalty to the man who barely kept them up this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Players who were bought for £15 Million and £17 Million are expensive signings?

Did we wake up this morning in the year 2008?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I really like Chris Hughton - done a brilliant job - but think it is a good time to move on for both - anytime I watched them this year they looked stale - need a new man to freshen things up , and Chris himself needs a new challenge - Fulham would have been a good job, even the Ireland job after Mick - huge admiration for Chris , something will come up and he will do a good job again, but the reality was it was time to move on for both parties .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Harsh enough but they've been terrible the last while so maybe something has happened with some of the players? Few big signing s never worked out and they never had anyone who challenged Murray despite his age. He'll have to start with a championship team again I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

16th highest wage bill in the league and finished 17th so pretty much par. Probably is a bit harsh on Hughton but depends on what they do next. If they get a new manager in and give him a decent wedge of cash to spend I'd imagine Hughton will be a bit peeved. Board have probably looked at the likes of Wolves and are thinking why can't that be us?

Yep. Hughton will get another shot with a Championship club looking to go up so he’ll be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it's a harsh sacking. I'm not sure criticising Hughton for the players brought in is wholly fair, he almost certainly doesn't buy a lot of the players, Winstanley is head of recruitment there and has more of a say in that I would say, especially the big European recruitment they have had. When they were more comfortable up the table they were over acheiving, 7 of their Championship team has played half their Premier League games too. Although their form was pretty poor at the end of the season, they still stayed up.

It could end up a successful move for Brighton, but they definitely need to make an inspired appointment to justify this. If the owners go down the 'we want great football' route, that could end badly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hughton at Brighton was a very one dimensional manager for football these days, far too defensive, risk averse and relying on set-pieces for Murray or the big centre backs. How did Brighton go about getting goals from open play? Who is their playmaker?

It works great to start, but there's only so far that will ever work and it came to its natural end this season. They were very lucky to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He is there most successful manger of all time,

I think sometimes clubs forget who they are .

They want to play more attractive football ? ? Seriously if that squad where tried to play more open football they'd be beat every week , they don't have the player for it ,

Chris had team playing as much football as possible with that squad without throwing games,

For instance there two best players are there CB's who are suited to a defensive team , They would get ripped apart with space around them ,

If they decided to go the Burnley route you'd understand a new manger but trying to play more attractive football is begging to be relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We could be here in 12 months time praising the board for making such a brave call as Brighton stay up with a few games to go, they could equally be cannon fodder next season and end up relegated.

Yeah, we can think of some examples of Adkins/Pocettino-style brave and effective choices, but also some examples of the the board thinking a manager was holding the club back, when in fact he was holding them up.

Soups123 wrote: »
    He has done a great job and to be fair got them across the end line this season. It’s a very limited squad so changing the man who has consistently kept them save is dangerous.

I get your probably disappointed they didn’t do better yesterday but they where up against the best team in the league who can make most teams look **** on there day

Staying with something when it’s become stale and doesn’t look likely to improve is even more dangerous.

And I get that Utd fans would want to play down reasons for sacking Hughton - particularly an extremely negative run over 10 games or so - as they may have similar conversations ahead over their own club legend manager.

But we can easily keep such things out of it. There’s nothing rash about this decision - I’d say it had been decided a few weeks ago, or at least was under consideration. If they get someone in quickly they’ll have him installed in the post before the players are back from holiday. Full transfer window and pre season to work with the squad.

It’s a decisive decision, and it seems the default reaction from football fans is to react negatively whenever a manager is sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Has Stan Collymore or Paul Ince commented yet?

Staying with something when it’s become stale and doesn’t look likely to improve is even more dangerous.

And I get that Utd fans would want to play down reasons for sacking Hughton - particularly an extremely negative run over 10 games or so - as they may have similar conversations ahead over their own club legend manager.

But we can easily keep such things out of it. There’s nothing rash about this decision - I’d say it had been decided a few weeks ago, or at least was under consideration. If they get someone in quickly they’ll have him installed in the post before the players are back from holiday. Full transfer window and pre season to work with the squad.

It’s a decisive decision, and it seems the default reaction from football fans is to react negatively whenever a manager is sacked.

People comparing this to Atkins are mad, Huge difference between Brighton and Southampton

A lot a seriously under estimating the job Chris has done ,
    If Brighton want more attractive football they will be relegated they do not have the squad to it,

For my money they had the worst squad in the Prem including Cardiff and Huddersfield.

Also from my understanding most of the signing are not made by Chris ,

I’m not underestimating the job he has done. He did a great job. Good half decade at the club. But on the other hand you may be underestimating how poor they’ve looked at times this year, how bad this form slump has been when they were under pressure, and how lucky they are to survive on 36 points.

Making a change is not unreasonable. And it’s indicative of sound decision making if they’re setting aside the result (surviving) from the process (performances, player motivation, leadership) and concluded it’s gone stale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He had taken them as far as he could. Promotion then staying up . Prob good for Hughton to try somewhere new .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Brighton have a couple of huge players to replace this window their retiring captain and they cant keep relying on Murray who turns 36 in a few weeks.

If you are not positive Chris is the man to do this then this is the right decision.

That said I feel sorry for Chris , he is a gentlemen and a top manager who regularly has his teams out perform their actual strength.
    he will be top of many short lists for any Championship side looking to come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Pity they didn't sack him earlier, he would have been a great manager for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He had taken them as far as he could. Promotion then staying up . Prob good for Hughton to try somewhere new .

So a new manager can take them further? You think Brighton have shown ambitions beyond PL survival?

As someone said above clubs forget themselves and that’s more dangerous.

Brighton have a couple of huge players to replace this window their retiring captain and they cant keep relying on Murray who turns 36 in a few weeks.

If you are not positive Chris is the man to do this then this is the right decision.

That said I feel sorry for Chris , he is a gentlemen and a top manager who regularly has his teams out perform their actual strength.
    he will be top of many short lists for any Championship side looking to come up.

It might do him a favour being sacked now as I see them going down next year ,and the football world will be looking at his sacking as unjust ,

Two players you have mentioned are huge to them and if they want to change there style they need quicker CB and a new midfield to control the ball ,

It's all a bit much for Brighton, lets not forget the club involved here are minnows

Or...

The same criticism when Blackburn Rovers sacked Allardyce when they were 13th in the top flight, were relegated at the end of that season and subsequently dropped to the third tier...

The whole "but here's an example from another club" works both ways.

The longest Brighton have ever stayed in the top flight was 4 seasons. Once. So he wasn't far off being their best manager ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

votecounts wrote: »
    Pity they didn't sack him earlier, he would have been a great manager for Ireland.

He will one day

• Advertisement
Advertisement