Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being made redundant just after being made permanent

Options
  • 13-05-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

I finished my probationary period and was made permanent 6 weeks ago. Then last week I received notice that 50 people including me are being made redundant.

My question is though - should I honour the 2 months notice as per my contract? What's my reason to? I won't be entitled to a redundancy package anyway. When I signed I did so in good faith that it would be a long term employment, they clearly had no such intentions. I'm thinking now that if a good opportunity came up and they wanted me to start in a month I'd say yes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get a reference from them, then leave if you get a better job. Do what suits you, not them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

blue note wrote: »
    My question is though - should I honour the 2 months notice as per my contract?

Salary plus a good reference might be a good reason. Obviously the people who made you permanent were impressed by you, so I would expect a good reference will be forthcoming.
    When I signed I did so in good faith that it would be a long term employment, they clearly had no such intentions.

You are making one hell of a big assumption here, one that is very much clouding your view. It is very rare for line management to know anything about pending redundancies until the very last moment, when senior management inform them.

Other than opinion, do you have any actual facts to support your view. Did anyone in management tell you they know you'd be made redundant when they appointed you?
    I'm thinking now that if a good opportunity came up and they wanted me to start in a month I'd say yes.

I very much doubt given the circumstances that your present employer would object to you leaving earlier than the planned notice period. If for no other reason than they will save on payroll costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Start looking for work ASAP.

Keep honouring your commitments to current employer including timekeeping and work ethic.

I’ve seen cases where there was full or partial reprieve in numbers and lots lo lads had started acting the arse ringing in sick and turning up late, shockingly they weren’t among those chosen to stay on.

Companies sometimes have a success down the line and need another crew on board, if you’ve kept your nose clean it will help if applying again.

If as part of your immediate job hunting you do get a job I’d go to management and explain you’ve been offered work, they should be honest and release you on good terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

In my opinion you have to go back to the company policy on redundancy.
    Most times when they give you this notice, it is for you to start looking for a job.
    To play it safe, I will advise you to go over to your manager and ask for a reference to facilitate the job search.
    it is only an unethical company that would try to do what us best for them alone and not both parties that they will expect you to give them a two month notice after making you redundant.
    Hence, best thing to do is to try to get a reference but I don't advise you to tell a potential employer that they would have to wait for 2 months before you can take the job. esp because of a company that has made you redundant.
    So

Mostly when something like this happens its because a major client pulls a big project at the last minute. It's not some sort of personal vendetta.

I would work out my notice but start looking for alternative employment right away. They should give you a good reference and probably will let you go early anyway on amicable terms as they clearly are cutting expenses anyway. The last thing you want is a reputation for only working when you HAVE to work.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

When I signed I did so in good faith that it would be a long term employment, they clearly had no such intentions.

Your line managers made you permanent and it's the senior managers who organising the job losses

Sure your line manager might be joining you in the job seeking too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

Given you are being made redundant, your workload is likely about to fall off a cliff.
    Use the time in work to prepare your CV and apply for jobs.

It is very likely they will be happy to let you go early if you find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

companies will never hold you to the notice period in these situations. look for jobs and feel completely free to say available to start in, say, a week or two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Your line managers made you permanent and it's the senior managers who organising the job losses

Sure your line manager might be joining you in the job seeking too

I've seen that more that once! Line managers make the call to let people go, only to find out a few weeks later that they are going as well. I know of even one case where the line manager figured it out and they even paid him to tell the guys they'd lost their jobs before he exited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭blue note

Cheers for all the replies. Just to respond to some

My line manager definitely didn't know, but the people that made the decision to hire me and make me permanent certainly did. The job is moving to a different location, it's not a case that we lost out on a contract. So I'd be amazed if this wasn't in the pipeline well before they took me on.

I've continued to do my job as before, including finishing the day after they told us. Partially because I didn't think it fair for people to have to try to figure out my tasks and partially because I wanted the distraction. But I was getting on very well here before the news and have continued to do the same since hearing.

And I met with them yesterday. I expected nothing because I'm entitled to nothing. However, they are being very generous to be truthful. I'm getting more than fair compensation, an offer of a move (which doesn't suit unfortunately), and they'll do their best to accommodate me if I find a new role before I'm supposed to finish. I came out of the meeting about a third of my annual salary better off than I thought I was.

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself to be truthful when I wrote the last post. I've bought a house since starting and have booked a wedding. And for this news just before picking up the engagement ring which is supposed to be a fun day, but instead you're wondering if it's wise spending a few grand on a ring when you might lose a few grand from being unemployed. I'd still rather stay, but I can't give out about the terms I'm leaving on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement