Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Long Spin Accessories

Options
  • 13-05-2019 11:32am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, what do you bring with you when heading out for a long spin?

I bring ID, phone, a few quid, keys and my medicinal spray.
    In my saddle bag, there's a spare tube, tyre tools and a puncture repair kit. I've a valve for a petrol station air hose as I don't always want to be carrying a pump and not sure if I want to fit one onto my newish bike.

If it were poor weather, I'd probably have a backpack in which case I could pack more including shoe covers and a jacket. I'd throw the pump in then.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for me, my spins usually top out at 70km (just a timing thing), but i feel naked on a bike without the following (for my commute too)
    mini frame pump
    in the saddlebag; a set of quick links, tyre levers, two inner tubes, multitool, €20.
    i always have my phone on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This carried in a converted water bottle, pump and phone in jersey. €20 note can be used as a tyre boot if needed. I'll be replacing the pins with a quick link or two.

480132.jpg

I can't imagine not bringing the pump, how would you get to a petrol station with a totally flat tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Just out of curiosity, what do you bring with you when heading out for a long spin?

In my saddle bag, there's a spare tube, tyre tools and a puncture repair kit. I've a valve for a petrol station air hose as I don't always want to be carrying a pump and not sure if I want to fit one onto my newish bike.

If it were poor weather, I'd probably have a backpack in which case I could pack more including shoe covers and a jacket. I'd throw the pump in then.

I have a small pump that fits in a jersey pocket (Topeak pocket rocket)- prefer that than attaching one to the bike itself.

If it's bad weather I sometimes put spare socks and gloves in a spare bottle and then into the spare bottle cage, keeps them dry and saves bringing a backpack.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tuxy wrote: »
    I can't imagine not bringing the pump, how would you get to a petrol station with a totally flat tyre?
    I've a small pump but too large for my jersey. Need to get a shorter one.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

• Mini-pump
    • 2 x CO2 cannisters (so I hopefully don't have to resort to the mini-pump)
    • Presta Valve Core remover - not to actually remove valve cores, but to tighten them if they become loose as a result of having to use the minipump and the core comes out accidentally when I unscrew the hose attachment (I know there are plenty of pumps which push directly onto the valve core but I find pumps with hose attachments more convenient and less likely to damage/bend the valve core during inflation - maybe I'm just a clumsy big galoot!) - although I've just seen this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdolc0sybgs) - need to check my multitool when I get home from work to see if it has this feature!
    • Spare tube
    • Patch kit with self-adhesive patches + tyre boot (Lezyne Smart Kit)
    • Spare quick-links
    • Multitool
    • Individual Wet wipe sachet - I used to carry a thin pair of nitrile gloves to keep my hands clean during messy (typically chain-related) mechanical repairs - but I find just using my bare hands is more 'tactile' when working with fiddly stuff - so I just let my hands get dirty in the knowledge that they are easily cleaned afterwards with a wet-wipe (just have to remember not to rub my hands on my jersey or shorts during the repair process!)
    • Tyre levers / TyreKey
    • Phone
    • Small amount of cash and electronically enabled/disabled debit/credit card for unexpected/emergency purchases (e.g. Revolut, Monzo, Starling - not sure if available in ROI). I prefer this to my 'real' bank cards because if the card gets lost/misplaced then it can be frozen/unfrozen via the phone app, and only the money 'loaded' onto the card beforehand can be spent (should someone find the card before the its frozen via the app - any attempt to use the card also results in an immediate app notification - it also means that if the card is temporarily lost, but then subsequently found or returned without any malicious purchases occurring in the meantime, you don't have to go through the whole rigmarole of contacting your card provider, getting the card cancelled, getting a new one issued etc)
    • Keyring-size LED torch - just in case repairs need to be made in less than ideal lighting conditions

On that note, I would also recommend getting familiar with your tools *BEFORE* you actually need to use them. CO2 cannisters being a prime example. Think I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen people either on club rides or sportives waste a perfectly good CO2 cannister because they're not 100% familiar with their operation. Ideally get a CO2 head which allows you to control the flow of CO2 into your tyre, and secondly, when screwing the cannister into the head, expect a tiny amount of leakage as the head pierces the cannister - don't panic - just keep screwing the head until the 'leaking' noise stops...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

currently on my bike:
    • mini-pump (velcroed to the frame)
    • stem-mounted case for phone, wallet, keys.
    • rain jacket in the 2nd bottle cage.
    • saddle bag with:
      • 2 tubes & tyre levers
      • CO2 valve and 2 bulbs
      • mini-tool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

2 * 25g co2's (as 28mm tyres)
    Multipump - co2 and normal pump
    multitool with chain breaker
    chain link
    tube
    glueless patches
    tyre boot
    tyre levers
    rubber gloves

All fits into tool holder case that fits into the bottle cage on the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pump + Co2 x 2 (never use) as I often bring another pump that's excellent at getting up 90-100 psi.

Have one of those bottle things with
    • Tyre Levers,
    • a Tube (depends on how long and where I'm going),
    • Patch Kit,
    • Multitool,
    • Surgical Type Gloves,

Have a tiny Saddle bag that fits 1 tube and no more and stuff another in the jersey (3 altogether)

In pockets -
    • Phone, ID, Bank Card and €20 quid
    • Banana, Flapjack and Jelly Babies. Again dependent on distance.

My non performance inhaning inhaler comes along for the long, colder cycles.
    • Generally fine without it in the warmer weather.
    • Small suncream if it does show

Sometimes a backup GPS if I think I'm going to be gone all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

€20 note can be used as a tyre boot if needed.

Love that, Celtic Tiger cycling kit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2 CO2 Cartridges and a CO2 pump.
    Latex sealant(use tubulars)
    Money
    Phone
    Multi tool

That’s it really. Haven’t carried an actual pump since CO2 became available.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

marvin80 wrote: »
    If it's bad weather I sometimes put spare socks and gloves in a spare bottle and then into the spare bottle cage, keeps them dry and saves bringing a backpack.

Ingenious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ingenious!

I was doing the Sean Kelly cycle a few years ago on a very wet day.
    Chatting to a Kerry lad at the food stop as he was taking nice dry socks and gloves out of a bottle - fair cute lads down there :D

Doc07 wrote: »
    Love that, Celtic Tiger cycling kit

I know, I was using €5 notes in the recession!
    Only had to use money as a boot once but had no trouble spending it afterwards.

I know, I was using €5 notes in the recession!
    Only had to use money as a boot once but had no trouble spending it afterwards.

Was it always dry during the recession - I would have thought if it was a wet day, ingress water would make a bit of a mess of a typical paper note (never tried, so don't know) - except if you live in a country which uses the plastic polymer notes - I'd have thought it better to use a gel wrapper or similar if you don't have a dedicated tyre boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Phone and a bar of sorts ,20 euro note in a sandwich bag in pocket.
    In saddle bag, 2 tubes, tyre levers, 2 co2 canisters and trigger.
    Problem with me with the triggers is i have 3 different types, and ive lost full canisters faffing around with the trigger, forgetting precisely how this one works :(

On a separate note, and i do like to spread the word when i get an opportunity, I carry an old track pump, set of levers, 2 tubes, couple of old tyres with life left on them in the boot of the car.

It was dry the day I had to use it. This is how the €10 looked after 40 km

a1d1cbca64fb0144b22e9652f565190f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

From reading above, some have a convereted bottle for sare bits. If on a long spin are you limited with only 1 water bottle?

dahat wrote: »
    From reading above, some have a convereted bottle for sare bits. If on a long spin are you limited with only 1 water bottle?

I can fit everything from the bottle into my jersey if needs be but on longer cycles I like to take one 700 ml water bottle and made a quick stop at a shop in any small village if I need to refill.

If doing a sportive, then one (750ml) water bottle is generally enough for me between food/water stops. If I'm on a club ride or on my own and doing a long spin the expectation is that I'll be stopping somewhere along the way to replenish my water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

I have the 1 bottle with drink and 1 with 2 tubes, tyre levers, multi tool if I'm on a "long spin" I'll stop for a cappuccino & scone and carry a cereal/rice bar so the 1 bottle is grand (for me)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I usually only take one 500ml bottle and often don't use any of it.

(I'd only take 2 bottles if cycling abroad in hot weather).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I've a valve for a petrol station air hose as I don't always want to be carrying a pump...
    2 points come to mind:

1. What if you're miles from a filling station?
    2. Most filling station compressors won't go up to the pressure required for a road bike (as most motor vehicles take less than 40psi).

2 points come to mind:

1. What if you're miles from a filling station?
    2. Most filling station compressors won't go up to the pressure required for a road bike (as most motor vehicles take less than 40psi).

Thankfully it has't come to that and so far, I've only had a few long spins without the backpack as the weather recently justified carrying the rain gear and I was abole to carry the small hand pump.
    I started this thread as much to find out what others to to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

Mini pump
    Three tubes(had some duds and have twice had double, front and rear punctures)
    Tyre irons
    Allen key
    (all in saddle bag always on bike)

Phone and 20euro in pastic bag
    Drink and food
    Emergency gel

I don't have on yet, but thinking of bring chain tool as in Tuxy's picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

In the saddle pouch:
    A spare tube; tyre levers; small puncture repair kit; multi tool that includes a chain-breaker, surgical gloves and an old gel wrapper.

On the bike:
    A mini-pump and a 500cc bidon (a 750cc one in summer or a second 500cc one when abroad).

In the jersey:
    An ancient gel!, a Nature Valley bar, €20, house keys, mobile phone and a rain jacket.

kal7 wrote: »
    Mini pump
    Three tubes(had some duds and have twice had double, front and rear punctures)

Here's a tip that might be useful for anyone that's really unlucky but does not carry that many tubes.

I double flatted near the top of Priest Leap and had no tube patches. 16km from the nearest bike shop in Kenmare.
    If you have a tube with a puncture that's not near the valve you can cut it in two at the puncture and tie it back together.
    The ride will be a little bumpy and I'd be extra careful taking corners but it worked and felt more stable than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Here's a tip that might be useful for anyone that's really unlucky but does not carry that many tubes.

I double flatted near the top of Priest Leap and had no tube patches. 16km from the nearest bike shop in Kenmare.
    If you have a tube with a puncture that's not near the valve you can cut it in two at the puncture and tie it back together.
    The ride will be a little bumpy and I'd be extra careful taking corners but it worked and felt more stable than I expected.

Nice photo of you here

https://images.app.goo.gl/nASzjBAF8NPrdKau7

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

dahat wrote:

I was doing a sportive a few years ago, would've been a few occasional cyclists participating. We were told that the first water stop was 20km in. Guy heading off in front of me had 2 bottles in cages, plus about 6 more in his jersey pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Is that you Froomey?

• Advertisement

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Is that you Froomey?
    Gliceril Trinitrate for heart issues.
    Apparently it widens the arteries allowing the blood to pump more freely so I guess in some ways it's kinda Froome-ish (although thankfully I've not needed it whilst out)

Advertisement