Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being approached by people of the same sex

• 13-05-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭

I might of talked about this on here before i cant remember?

Anyway im sure its happened to plenty of us on a night out or whatever at some point in our lives?

Its actually happened to me a good few times over the years and i never really took it that seriously kinda took it as a compliment or whatever!.

Still i do often wonder what brought it on in the first place. Personally there's nothing im aware of that would give the impression im not straight :p
    I know not all gay men go around with a sign saying ''Gay'' but ya i think its fairly obvious i am who i am!

I had friends in the past who are gay male and female and i was once or twice in gay bars with them. Each time i was approached by men.

I made a joke of the whole thing really took it well i know not everyone would! Even after one guy followed me around for while insisting he wanted to turn me! Lets just say my girlfriend at the time wasn't to happy!.

There have been other occasions as well but ya you get the picture.

So anyways is this a common thing to happen?

Id be curious to see what people think is the reason for it as well especially if its more then a once off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Is that picture of Morrissey? He is a homosexual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Its a mystery what Morrissey is to be fair but ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Id be curious to see what people think is the reason for it as well especially if its more then a once off.

Is it common that a fella would be approached in a gay bar? I would think so :D

The reason for it? You’re a fella, in a gay bar.

Is it common that a fella would be approached in a gay bar? I would think so :D

The reason for it? You’re a fella, in a gay bar.

:pac: I knew id get that haha. I can understand it in there to a degree but even after you make it clear your straight and then for it to happen in numerous other places. Some where outside of Ireland as well.

Few times. Took it as a compliment and reflected on how much easier it would be to get laid if I could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Has never happened to me TBH. Even in a Gay bar. Maybe I missed it, but I doubt it as blokes are rarely subtle in such matters. It seems Gay lads just don't like me in that way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wibbs wrote: »
    Has never happened to me TBH. Even in a Gay bar. Maybe I missed it, but I doubt it as blokes are rarely subtle in such matters. It seems Gay lads just don't like me in that way.

Same as myself , even the Christian brothers and priests payed no attention to me when I was growing up.
    Then again I'm an ugly fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Eh if you are in a gay bar then I guess the folks are going to assume your gay. Has it ever happened to you outside of a gay bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

:pac: I knew id get that haha. I can understand it in there to a degree but even after you make it clear your straight and then for it to happen in numerous other places. Some where outside of Ireland as well.

They didn't spread the word???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i was propositioned in graphic terms in a gay bar once. you guys have it lucky let me tell ye.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Eh if you are in a gay bar then I guess the folks are going to assume your gay. Has it ever happened to you outside of a gay bar?

Ya like i mentioned above its happened a few other times outside of there territory :p

Ya like i mentioned above its happened a few other times outside of there territory :p

Had you a handkerchief in your back pocket?

lbc2019 wrote: »
    They didn't spread the word???
    Nope ha! the fact i was with a woman and kissed her a few times didnt seem to matter either :p

Nope ha! the fact i was with a woman and kissed her a few times didnt seem to matter either :p

Playing hard to get???

Why can't they get when no means no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭pgj2015

yes a couple of times, didnt take it as a compliment as men will ride anyone most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Few times. Took it as a compliment and reflected on how much easier it would be to get laid if I could do it.
    QFT

I dunno if I'm just more attractive to gay men than to straight women or if there's something of the old Catholic guilt affecting women more but I don't think I've ever been in a gay or gay friendly bar where I wouldn't have had options as to whom I'd be going home with were I that way inclined. It made me quite jealous of my gay friends tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Happened me in a gay bar, I am a woman and an absolutely stunning looking woman asked me if I was single and looking to mingle. She looked like Nicole Kidman.

To this day I regret I didnt take her up on the offer.

But back in day experimentation wasnt as common as it would be now.

See i understand theres obviously a greater chance of it happening in a gay bar for obvious reasons!

Its more the other places and situations that wouldn't be as obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Happened to me twice. One in regular bar and second at a wedding. Both times I took it as a compliment and thought that gay men's chat up approach is streets ahead of our straight neanderthal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Never happened to me. I've never been to a gay bar though.

If you make it clear you're not interested in someone, that should be accepted, whatever your sexuality.

• Advertisement

Happened to me twice. One in regular bar and second at a wedding. Both times I took it as a compliment and thought that gay men's chat up approach is streets ahead of our straight neanderthal game.

I've never been chatted up by a woman. I don't think you straight men are in anyway neanderthal with your approach. There is enough negativity towards you in our current culture without being hard on yourselves :)

Never happened to me. I've never been to a gay bar though.

If you make it clear you're not interested in someone, that should be accepted, whatever your sexuality.

See heres where ive noticed a pattern.

When ive been approached by girls in the past nearly always when i wasn't single ffs :pac: I told them my situation and no harm done!

On more then one occasion though with gay men even though they knew i was straight and i gave them no signs there where ''doubts'' some wouldn't leave it at that.

There was the guy i mentioned before who wanted to turn me he bought me drink as well ffs lol. There was another guy who tried to kiss me we were in a group of other people as well!

This other bloke who i was kinda friends with when i was away for a few months who knew my girlfriend as well he would always randomly make remarks towards me and also he followed me into the jacks one night making comments on my dick.....

I didn't go out of my way looking for these things either :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Some curious replies I have indeed, been approached on various occasions which made me clench up somewhat and I did develop a staunch fear that can only described as homophobia?

I think it can be a useful tool in damaging a mans pride but I think the general consensus nowadays is feel free to flatter unabashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Some curious replies I have indeed, been approached on various occasions which made me clench up somewhat and I did develop a staunch fear that can only described as homophobia?

I think it can be a useful tool in damaging a mans pride but I think the general consensus nowadays is feel free to flatter unabashed.
    clenching around a useful tool, thats the spirit

clenching around a useful tool, thats the spirit

I must admit me bum was flappin a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Twice in a gay bar (first two times) I went, didn't happen the third time and I was disgusted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've never been chatted up by a woman. I don't think you straight men are in anyway neanderthal with your approach. There is enough negativity towards you in our current culture without being hard on yourselves :)

Maybe it's just my game then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

Never happened to me. Probably you are just more attractive than a usual bloke. Do women chat you up in a bar too?

victor8600 wrote: »
    Never happened to me. Probably you are just more attractive than a usual bloke. Do women chat you up in a bar too?
    Ah i wouldn't say that now! I mean im not ugly but i wouldn't call myself gorgeous or anything haha.

Ya women chat me up hasn't really happened as much recently but im with a girl nearly 9 years so id say they can smell it off me at this stage :P

To be honest when im out the last thing im looking for is strangers attention im just there to drink and have a laugh with me mates or whoever im with at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

i was once or twice in gay bars with them. Each time i was approached by men.

I think I've found your problem!

I used to regularly get hit on by blokes for some reason, I'm straight, not in any way camp or anything like that, wasn't in gay bars and I would most likely have been engaged in chasing fanny like it was being outlawed the following morning.

I haven't a clue why they'd go for me to be quite honest. (must just be a sexy motherfúcker I suppose:D)

Of course, this was back in the days when I used to get out every now and again:mad:

Maybe it's just my game then....

I doubt that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd take it as a compliment.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Brilliant as always After Hours never change.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A couple of times on the street. One time in the evening on the way home from work a man insisted on taking me out for dinner !!! :P

Second time, I'm on a night out with my girlfriend (now wife) and a lad jumps out of a passing car and tries to chat me up. My GF thought it was funny and the guy was insistent until I had to rudely tell him to f*ck off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Quite a few times by men, just told them no thanks and I'm not gay.
    The worst is when they get insistent as if you'd suddenly say "ah yeah feck it shure why not".
    To be fair though, I'm a ride so if I could I'd ride myself.

• Advertisement

Do women get this as much as men do or is it just stereotypical dirty men :P ?

Wibbs wrote: »

You don't have the gene :pac: Me neither. In 30 years of going to clubs, bars etc, never hit up by my own gender.

Gays folk can spot detect each other from 100metres. People call it gaydar (which I think is probably intended as a slur)

Woke Hogan wrote: »

No I think he just enjoys the ambiguity

Casting unassertions; that type of thing but there’s a good chance if he doesn’t get one himself then he sure doesn’t get the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

biko wrote: »
    There's a club if you'd like to go
    You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go and you stand on your own
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home and you cry
    And you want to die

YMCA, it's fun to stay at the YMCA....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There was the bouncer who used squeeze my crotch. If that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I'd say it does.

OP, you sound like you might be too nice and polite. If someone won't take a polite no for an answer, then let out your inner grinch.

Do women get this as much as men do or is it just stereotypical dirty men :P ?
    I can almost hear the women sigh as they read this :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Zorya wrote: »
    I'd say it does.

OP, you sound like you might be too nice and polite. If someone won't take a polite no for an answer, then let out your inner grinch.

It also happened more than once. Normally when I was a bit pissed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

A guy once followed me home once in a car. I was 18 at the time. First asked me "Do you want a lift" i said no, obviously. Then i walk on, he comes back down the same road in the opposite direction and rolls down the window and says "Are you sure you don't want me to suck your ****".

I hadn't a lift home that night, but i really wish that my friends took some better care of me in making sure i got home safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

A guy once followed me home once in a car. I was 18 at the time. First asked me "Do you want a lift" i said no, obviously. Then i walk on, he comes back down the same road in the opposite direction and rolls down the window and says "Are you sure you don't want me to suck your ****".

I hadn't a lift home that night, but i really wish that my friends took some better care of me in making sure i got home safe.

In the line-break pause there in that post, I've a feeling there's some kind of a spooky Netflix film that could be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Thats called sexual assault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yeah, it happens to me all the time.
    Both men and women are helplessly attracted to me.
    I'm so f--kin hot - it's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

"You had me at hello"...

What did he say to you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement