Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just bought xbox one S with fortnite package ... what now?

Options
  • 13-05-2019 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    my son has just bought the xbox one s fortnite package for his communion (all his friends have had one for ages) but i have never played any games before. What do I need to do to make sure that there are no hiccups as im concerned about online credit, subscriptions etc etc... and its getting me a bit paranoid about using my credit card.
    Any advice or even links to where I can read up about all this. Apparently games are now downloadable? its a long way from my Commodore 64 with a game on a cassette tape.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

HI all,
    my son has just bought the xbox one s fortnite package for his communion (all his friends have had one for ages) but i have never played any games before. What do I need to do to make sure that there are no hiccups as im concerned about online credit, subscriptions etc etc... and its getting me a bit paranoid about using my credit card.
    Any advice or even links to where I can read up about all this. Apparently games are now downloadable? its a long way from my Commodore 64 with a game on a cassette tape.
    cheers

Look into getting a card that you can top up for him to use exclusively on line. That way, he can't possbily overspend. Or set up a revolut account. They give you a virtual card and you can top it up for him with their app on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

7 or 8 is a little young for chats about financial responsibility, but that's where you are. Fortnight is a PG12 game and the makers have coined in over 1 billion euros on in game purchases.

You will have to sit him down and have a chat about money, and how in game purchases are not monopoly money. Its great that he bought the xbox out of his communion money, it helps to instill values and appreciation that the bank of mam and dad isn't infinite.

I know you can get prepay cards from gamestop etc.

below is instruction from the literary giant that is the sun newspapers.
    How to stop Fortnite purchases on Xbox
    Usually, the easiest way to avoid surprise Microsoft bills is by creating a special Xbox account with no payment details added.

But playing Xbox multiplayer games (like Fortnite) requires Xbox Live Gold Membership, which costs money.

So that won't work in this case.

However, you can create a special passcode that's required to verify purchases.

Just go Settings > All Settings > Accounts > Sign-in

Then choose Change My Sign-In & Security Preferences, and scroll right to Customise.

Then scroll right again and select Ask For My Passkey To Make Purchases, and choose Passkey Required.

Now all you have to do is pick a PIN number that your kids won't guess – so don't go with 0000, 1234 or a birthday.

Advertisement