Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thickness of Party Walls in Crumlin Houses

Options
  • 13-05-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I am living in one of the standard Crumlin council houses from the late 30's early 40's.
    I need to drill some holes in the party walls to secure some furniture. The walls are concrete and I was hoping someone might know the thickness of the party walls in these houses?
    I don't want to end up drilling into the neighbours living room!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Live in the same area.In my house the walls are that tin you can hear the neighbors changing there minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevmoroney

Live in the same area.In my house the walls are that tin you can hear the neighbors changing there minds.

That's why I'm so worried about drilling too deep!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How deep were you planning on going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Those are cavity walls, aren't they? Meaning that you will hit the cavity (air or soft material) after you punch through your side of the wall.
    To be sure, mark a point on a window, measure from that point to the wall inside and measure the same distance outside, and you will get a good guestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevmoroney

Cordell wrote: »
    Those are cavity walls, aren't they? Meaning that you will hit the cavity (air or soft material) after you punch through your side of the wall.
    To be sure, mark a point on a window, measure from that point to the wall inside and measure the same distance outside, and you will get a good guestimate.

No, they are solid concrete walls.
    I was planning on going i about 8-10cm. But seeing as the concrete is quite crumbly in places, I am worried that this may go too close to the other side. I am also unsure if the party walls are the same thickness as the external walls...

• Advertisement

The measurement was to determine the party wall thickness: pick a window on a wall perpendicular to the party wall (i.e. front window). Mark a spot as to be visible both inside and outside. Measure inside sideways until you get to the party wall. Go outside and measure the same distance and that will let you see outside where the party wall starts. Now you should be able to estimate its thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How does that tell you how thick the party wall is?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can you check the attic to see if it's concrete blocks laid on the side? That would mean max 215mm thick. This is standard party wall thickness in more recent houses.

If you drill too deep and/or crack the neighbours plasterwork, there'll be hell to pay. Might be worth considering your options here.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How does that tell you how thick the party wall is?

You know or you have a pretty good cue where the middle of the party wall is when looking from the outside; if you can mark where it starts then you should be able to determine its thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are only talking about 4 inches. They'll be 9 inches or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SherJ81

I'm late to the party on this one by almost 5 years haha.. but lads be careful as I had work done and was securing my TV to the wall when the drill bit actually went straight through the party wall and out the neighbours side. The wall is paper thin😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think you need to be careful because if its anything like below -

My father told me a story once of a job he was working on in Crumlin. They were drilling holes n a wall in a house to inject some sort of damp proofing chemical before plastering. The house next door caught fire and was gutted. Turned out they drilled through the wall and the chemical was poured into the house next door. It was flammable and caught fire in the house next door.

Advertisement