Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New manager has no Qualification or experience

Options
  • 13-05-2019 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I am working in a marketing role the last 3 years and have a diploma in digital marketing which i done in DBS a number of years ago.

I am currently the only marketing person within the company, I am a dedicated worker and know the role inside out and have a lot of respect from my colleagues.
    My Manager left in February to go to another company, they weren't in a hurry to get someone else in and I was managing everything the past 8/9 weeks.

We had a temp in, covering a maternity role in Quality dept. The temp is a sister of the HR manager. she was due to finish up last 2 weeks ago.

I got called in to say that she would be sitting in with me to see what my role involves and to show her the ropes basically
    I didn't ask any questions and She sat in with me for 3 hours a day all last week, I asked her if she'd worked in marketing before and she said no that it was a new experience for her , I wasn't sure what she meant, so i said ''Oh how do you mean a new experience'', she said they have offered her the marketing managers role :eek: I just said ''oh really, so you have some marketing experience?' she said that she didn't and had a qualification in Quality. I asked her would the company be sending her on a course, she said she wasn't sure.

I was called into HR this morning to say that this person (her sister) would be stepping into the marketing managers role from next week and was told she would be sitting in with me all this week training in on what is involved in the role.

I'm totally baffled:eek: I'm in this role 3 years, i basically feel like an office junior is coming in to manage me :rolleyes:

This wouldn't be the first time this company has given roles to people internally that have no experience, I know its probably a great opportunity for the person with no qualifications but I feel belittled.

One of my HR friends told me that i should say to them that this person cannot be my manager as they do not have any experience in marketing , but i don't want to be upsetting anyone.

Is this normal ? has anyone experienced this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are you been paid extra to train???

If not why not ask... Also ask for a raise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sister of the HR manager....says it all. Get a new job. You won't win this one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Apart from your suspicion of nepotism, can you think of any reasons why you weren’t promoted to the position? Are you good at the hat you do, but perhaps not good at managing/getting the best out of others? Have there been issues with colleagues that are counting against you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

No pay no train end of story. Do the job you are paid to do, not other ppls job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sister of the HR manager....says it all. Get a new job. You won't win this one

Honestly i can’t think of better advice than this.
    If your happy in your role and no aspirations on moving up to the management role maybe sit it out. But otherwise you in a loose loose situation.

You can go to HR and complain but giving what just happened it will be nonuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Unless they plan on increasing the Marketing Team. Why would they hire a Marketing Manager to oversee one person?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

First, find a new job. Put down all the stuff you've been doing, especially the "above and beyond" stuff, and get searching for a new job. |Get some interviews down, and see how the market is. If your skills are valued more elsewhere, then you have leverage. Once you are at that stage, it's time for the talk. Tell whoever you report to (not the new person obviously), that you feel you've been passed over, and will be looking elsewhere.

They may offer a pay raise, but these types are raises aren't sustainable. You'll be back where you are now in a year.

Take what you've leared, and get gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Doterraorange

@Duane Dibbley They are expanding ''apparently'' in the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Just for full disclosure OP did you have eyes on the role or make it known that you would like to take it on? It is reading like your issue is you are happy in the role but simply that you are annoyed that this person doesn't have a marketing background and you don't want to be managed by them?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Apart from your suspicion of nepotism, can you think of any reasons why you weren’t promoted to the position? Are you good at the hat you do, but perhaps not good at managing/getting the best out of others? Have there been issues with colleagues that are counting against you?
    Maybe because she didn't want her sister to be out of a job :rolleyes:

Of course I am good at what I do, I am in Marketing 6 years and in this current role 3 years and am qualified, I am very passionate about my job and well respected by my colleagues, my colleagues have been shocked at this too that she would suddenly give her sister (that was temping here) a role that she has no experience in.

• Advertisement

Are you been paid extra to train???

If not why not ask... Also ask for a raise....
    No, when someone new starts in any company don't they have to be trained in within the department? I've never heard of anyone ever getting extra pay to train a new person in :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No, when someone new starts in any company don't they have to be trained in within the department? I've never heard of anyone ever getting extra pay to train a new person in :confused:

I've been paid extra to train, it's very much the norm to get extra or bonus to train and I'd not do it otherwise

ziedth wrote: »
    Just for full disclosure OP did you have eyes on the role or make it known that you would like to take it on? It is reading like your issue is you are happy in the role but simply that you are annoyed that this person doesn't have a marketing background and you don't want to be managed by them?
    Hi , No i never even thought about it TBH, i have been asking when my manager would be replaced but i haven't once mentioned myself taking the role as I am happy enough with the role I'm in. HR just kept telling me there's no rush to get anyone in, I feel like she was biding her time for her sister to finish the temp role in QA.
    Yes you are right, I am annoyed that someone with no experience in marketing is coming in to replace my manager, yet I'm the one that's going to have to train her in, it doesn't make sense. She is the one that's going to be coming to me asking how to do this and that. It's like an Office junior coming in and taking over:rolleyes:

I know it's because of who she is related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Does she have management experience outside of marketing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If it were me as you are happy with role I would just keep head down and work away as normal offer any help that you can within reason and leave them fall on their own sword if they are not up to it. Having said that getting you to train your new manager in an area that he/she has no experience in is horrific from HR in my opinion. Showing the rope is one thing but starting from the basics erodes away any potential respect that you will need to have

short answer OP:

its none of your business who gets the managers role.

it would be very very standard to provide training if required in any workplace, it doesnt need to be specifically covered as a role.

if you aren't happy with it, consider your options.

matrim wrote: »
    Does she have management experience outside of marketing?
    She didn't say, she just said she had a quality qualification and background.

short answer OP:

its none of your business who gets the managers role.

it would be very very standard to provide training if required in any workplace, it doesnt need to be specifically covered as a role.

if you aren't happy with it, consider your options.
    Thank you for taking your time to reply.
    Of course it is my business, it is someone coming into my department that i will be working with 8 hours a day.
    I am not happy with it as i find it very disrespectful the way it was handled, so yes i will consider my options. CV been done up today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

You could find another role tbh and then use it as potential leverage with the C-suite for a short period but things like this never hold through

It's the simple case in Ireland of not what you know but who you know.

Take heart in the fact that Incompetency always shows through though so take it as a lesson and move on. The new manager if not skilled will make a fool of themselves.

I know colleagues feel sorry for you, but as much as it's getting work done it's also a game. Be kind, be professional but also at the end of the day don't get walked all over. I'd give them the two fingers and embrace new opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

There are negatives here op, in that you have more experience and could have maybe gone for the position yourself (maybe you wouldn't have wanted to though) and the obvious nepotism.

It could also be a blessing in disguise. You know the ropes. She doesn't. You could tip away as you have been, and her lack of knowledge would prevent her from increasing your workload/ actually monitoring what you're doing.

I wouldn't make an issue of it for my own personal sake. Try it out and it might actually be a huge benefit to you. If not, and you want a bigger slice of the pie, move jobs and talk up your experience of managing alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

She didn't say, she just said she had a quality qualification and background.

So she might have experience for a management role. Just not specific to marketing.

Are you upset that you weren't offered it? Had you expressed an interest?

So she might have experience for a management role. Just not specific to marketing.

Looking at the merriam-webster dictionary

Manager (noun) a person windowdress achievements to the C-suite and senior management, shysters plans and swindles budgets, occasionally motivates people

No I'm not upset that i wasn't offered it, i'm upset that someone with no experience is going to be my new manager and it is obviously Nepotism.
    however, yes it would have been nice to be asked , especially been here 3 years but then i suppose blood is thicker than water.

I appreciate all the advise and will bring my experience and knowledge to another company that deserves me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have.

I have.

"Oh....Where does it say training in my job description??? ;)"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you want to remain in that company, you should accept that you have a new manager and train them to the standard that you have been asked to do.
    It's up to them to then take the lead on the role following the training period.

Given the circumstances around how they have gotten into the role, I would start documenting everything, any conversation, any work request and how you followed through with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Was the position advertised?
    Issue for HR if not - I’m assuming it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Did the previous manager have more than 1 direct report? And how hands-on marketing work did they do?

Just seems odd if you were only direct report for previous manager , unless they were doing a significant amount of marketing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

If you want to leave over it then contact a recruiter and don't put your heart into training the sister.

If you want to stay, there is no harm at all in looking for a few quid, hr manager would most likely even back such a request especially if the appointment of her sister is nepotism.

Also another point of view if you train in your new manager well and actually help her, you probably have a strong ally in her going forward, and you get to shed alot of responsibility.

It all really depends on your ambitions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

I've been paid extra to train, it's very much the norm to get extra or bonus to train and I'd not do it otherwise

In the private sector, whether or not you are paid extra for providing onboarding training depends on the company and industry. It is not the norm to be paid, and almost all employment contracts include other duties clauses that would cover such training.
    trihead wrote: »
    Was the position advertised?
    Issue for HR if not - I’m assuming it was.

There's no requirement to advertise positions prior to filling them in Ireland.

Advertisement