Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds From A Safe Harbour 2019 - Cork - September 12th to 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

So many things on at this, but delighted with the diverse selection, going to be a very busy few days.

There are i notice 3 x “secret” gigs, where anyone could be playing, they did this last time also, but this time, they are listed on the Programme:

Tom Barrys - 5pm Friday
    Winthrop avenue(Okd Oak) -Saturday 18:30
    Crawford & Co. - 19:00

Based on their past form, there maybe additional pop up gigs also, last time out, these were announced very last minute on social media, so being in town anyway, which i will be, is best way to go !

Has it? That's a shame. Hadn't seen that anywhere.

Looks like he had a family emergency:

From Everyman website- although i nearly missed it:

Due to an unexpected family emergency Richard Reed Parry’s Quiet River show is cancelled.
    SFSH hope to reschedule the show at another stage in the future.
    The Everyman box office will be in touch with customers to arrange a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

37d03d MIX TAPE // Crane Lane Theatre / Sat 6:30pm

Is it ridiculous to think Justin Vernon will make an appearance here? Is it a case of just wishful thinking to the extreme? Some one set me straight. I'm down for Damien Rice on Friday but have to go the south east Sat lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

fafy wrote: »
    There is an Efterklang album listening party happening at7pm on Saturday, limited to i understand 30 people, Band will be in attendance, and there are currently 8 tickets left, these are free, but you need a ticket.

Their new album is out in 2 weeks.

https://uticket.ie/event/efterklang-listening-party-

Here is the blurb:
    Efterklang Listening Party - Altid Sammen

Sounds From a Safe Harbour festival are delighted to present: An early listening party of Altid Sammen by Efterklang.

Following their show at Live at St. Lukes, Efterklang will make their way down to Household Linens for a very special pre-listening to their first album in 7 years, Altid Sammen. Come and enjoy this sonic experience tucked up in a bed! Shoes off please!

Altid Sammen, meaning “always together” in Danish, is deep and sonorous, steeped in the sonic experimentation that has long been Efterklang's trademark.

That sounds... Odd.

Big Efterklang fan so have the tickets for St Luke's. Not sure if I fancy spending my Saturday evening tucked up in bed with 29 strangers listening to a new album - in Danish!

:P
    So many things on at this, but delighted with the diverse selection, going to be a very busy few days.

There are i notice 3 x “secret” gigs, where anyone could be playing, they did this last time also, but this time, they are listed on the Programme:

Tom Barrys - 5pm Friday
    Winthrop avenue(Okd Oak) -Saturday 18:30
    Crawford & Co. - 19:00

Based on their past form, there maybe additional pop up gigs also, last time out, these were announced very last minute on social media, so being in town anyway, which i will be, is best way to go !

I'm guessing one of those slots is for Christof Van der Ven, who was announced on Facebook today. The others could well be someone already on the bill doing a second show (I'd love a Feist show in Tom Barrys :eek::P) or maybe someone smaller. I know last time, Rusangano Family weren't on the bill but they appeared at one of the events (the food/music one in Reardens) so it could be something like that even?

I'm for the weekend so I'd say I'll just hang around and see what I can see anyway. Hopefully lots of good stuff, even if none of it is quite as high profile as the National/Bon Iver like last time.

There's always a really nice vibe in the city for this festival, though, so that alone will make for a few good days.

37d03d MIX TAPE // Crane Lane Theatre / Sat 6:30pm

Is it ridiculous to think Justin Vernon will make an appearance here? Is it a case of just wishful thinking to the extreme? Some one set me straight. I'm down for Damien Rice on Friday but have to go the south east Sat lunch time.

100% no chance.

Bon Iver gigs next week:
    Sept 10th: Portland, Oregon
    Sept 12th: San Francisco
    Sept 15th: Los Angeles

So while the 14th is free, there's no hope of him flying from California to Cork for an unannounced gig and then immediately back to California for a show in LA.

Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. :eek::P

• Advertisement

That sounds... Odd.

I thouhht the same initially, but isn’t that what this festival about, a bit different and immersive !

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

100% no chance.

Bon Iver gigs next week:
    Sept 10th: Portland, Oregon
    Sept 12th: San Francisco
    Sept 15th: Los Angeles

So while the 14th is free, there's no hope of him flying from California to Cork for an unannounced gig and then immediately back to California for a show in LA.

Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. :eek::P

That's weird. I checked his tour during the week and must have read it incorrectly as I thought he was free for next month. I can rest easy now knowing it's okay to miss the Mixtape gig.

Just listened to “The Point Of Everything” podcast where Mary Hickson was interviewed, some great insight into how the whole festival works, and discussions about the events in detail, and the artists involved.

Sounds like a huge amount of work to put this together.

Mary also mentioned they were sorry Thom Yorke could’t be there, which is most likely where those original rumours came from.

More surprises to come at the festival i’d say, events not announced yet, or may come up. Several artists are in Cork for the week, in order to meet up and collaborate etc, so anything could happen.

Would have been amazing to see Thom here but ah well... Was always a long shot.

What does the Yorke/Dessner thing sound like? I know they aren't performing it but might still be worth a go if anyone has a Spotify/YouTube link. Is it a classical music piece?

Mary Hickson raved about Spiritual America in that pod too - no idea what that is either! Might try get to one or two of those. Going to try Swan Lake Tuesday. Guessing from the amount of social media ads im seeing that it's not selling too well. Same for Lhasa.

Would have been amazing to see Thom here but ah well... Was always a long shot.

What does the Yorke/Dessner thing sound like? I know they aren't performing it but might still be worth a go if anyone has a Spotify/YouTube link. Is it a classical music piece?

Mary Hickson raved about Spiritual America in that pod too - no idea what that is either! Might try get to one or two of those. Going to try Swan Lake Tuesday. Guessing from the amount of social media ads im seeing that it's not selling too well. Same for Lhasa.

Going to Swan Lake on Thursday, seems to be selling poorly, they are pushing them hard, and had meal +ticket deals, with a few restaurants for the lowest selling nights which are Tuesday & Wednesday.

Yorke performed this piece with Dressner and a few others a while back, only very few of those gigs happened London & Paris only i think.
    It is classical- mainly piano based, possibly a bit heavy- even for me.

Might take another look at the Spiritual America, but my festival schedule, is fairly insane, Saturday in particular.

Was thinking of going to go to LHasa, but went for Rosie Carney in Coughlans instead on Sunday, there are a few brunchs on Sat/Sun as well in River Lee & Crawford &Co, which look interesting too.

• Advertisement

What's on the agenda fafy?

So far I've got a few bits but I'm only really tied to Efterklang and the Bantum/Godknows/Denise Chaila shows so far.

Would like to get a few more bits in but will play it by ear. Grandbrothers would be a maybe for me but I think it clashes with Bad Bones, who was excellent last time I saw her.

What's on the agenda fafy?

So far I've got a few bits but I'm only really tied to Efterklang and the Bantum/Godknows/Denise Chaila shows so far.

Would like to get a few more bits in but will play it by ear. Grandbrothers would be a maybe for me but I think it clashes with Bad Bones, who was excellent last time I saw her.

Ticketed gigs:
    Damien Rice
    Efterklang
    Efterklang album listening party
    Thomas Bartlet +
    (Bit of a tight squeeze for the two above)
    Feist
    Rosie Carney

Will have a look at some of the secret gigs maybe, and Crash Ensemble at Kino on Saturday which is non ticketed, that Sweediah fella you mentioned- looked him up and he sounds good.

Will be in town most of Friday to Sunday, so there will be additional announcements for sure, so need to be in town, to catch anything last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

gonna be a busy week.. woo hoo

Only just spotted that Kojaque and Luka Palm are at Dali this Friday too. I'd be doing well if I managed to squeeze that in too, I'd say.

Just spotted on Twitter that Bantum and Bad Bones are supporting Jon Hopkins on Thursday at Dali. That'll be a great show!

Right, think I've narrowed myself down to...
    Friday:
    Sans Chateaux, Crane Lane, 5.30pm
    Molly Sarlé, Winthrop Avenue, 6pm
    Bad Bones, BDSM, 7pm
    Grandbrothers, Live at St Luke's, 8pm
    Bantum, Denise Chaila, God Knows, Plugd, 10pm

Saturday:
    Don't Fear the Light, Cork Opera House, 2pm
    Crash Ensemble, the Kino, 3pm
    Efterklang, Live at St Luke's, 4pm
    37d03d Mix Tape, Crane Lane, 6.30pm
    Feist, Cork Opera House, 10pm
    Nealo, the Kino, 11pm

Sunday:
    Drag Brunch, Crawford & Co, 12pm-3pm
    Joyero, Crane Lane Theatre, 6pm
    Rosie Carney, Coughlans, 7pm

Saturday isnt going to pan out like that but that's what I'll be deciding between early in the day. Any recommendations for Sunday afternoon? Few hours free and I'd really like to stick around for Joyero at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Saturday isnt going to pan out like that but that's what I'll be deciding between early in the day. Any recommendations for Sunday afternoon? Few hours free and I'd really like to stick around for Joyero at least.

Mary Hickson mentioned Spiritual America album in Poscast - had a listen and its sounds interesting ! Playing in School of Music @2pm Sunday afternoon …. Bryce will be on guitar !!

I checked out “Sir was”, and its interesting, Kino 4pm- ticketed, check on spotify

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2pRRvc1D9seqK4txoe8laT?si=sY7xLfbcTzeyeVcjU3mz_w

Loch na hEala was very good tonight. Really enjoyed it, haven't seen much like it before. Got a huge response from the audience too.

Started at 8 on the dot, ran for 75 minutes with no interval too so handy one if you're in a rush!

Would recommend if anyone is on the fence to check it out.

Loch na hEala was very good tonight. Really enjoyed it, haven't seen much like it before. Got a huge response from the audience too.

Started at 8 on the dot, ran for 75 minutes with no interval too so handy one if you're in a rush!

Thanks for the report, will see it for third and final performance in Thursday.

Was it busy, they were struggling to see tickets, still a good 100 + remaining for Wednesday and less for Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Was it busy, they were struggling to see tickets, still a good 100 + remaining for Wednesday and less for Thursday.

Looked about 90% full from where we were, great show thou, go in with an open mind

There didn't look be anyone sitting in the back 2/3 rows of the dress circle. Other than that, there was a few seats here and there but no massive gaps so mostly full.

Next up for me is Jon Hopkins on Thursday. That'll be a late one!

FYI for anyone in this thread - I know there are plenty of fans - the Bon Iver fan presale for Dublin is open now. I think you click artist presale on Ticketmaster and the code is ICOMMAI.

I got twk standing earlier. Not sure what demand or availability is like but anything beats the scrum of a Friday morning on ticketmaster!

go in with an open mind

Thats the secret right there, leave all your ****, at the door on the way in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

great to hear - going tonight.. a mate in Oz saw it about 18 months ago.. dunno why it has taken soooo long to come to Cork..

Love slow moving clouds..

Love this festival woo hoo..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Slow Moving clouds supporting Feist Saturday too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Went to Loch na hEala myself last night, got free tickets from work so tagged along with absolutely no idea what it was about.
    Obviously fairly confused for a while trying to figure out what was going on as I admittedly didnt know the story of the original swan lake, but it was so visually striking and beautiful, found the whole thing mesmerizing and would recommend it to anyone!!

Danien Rice has Icelandic support guest:Jófríður Ákadóttir, and i also noted from Mary Hickson’s interview, she mentioned he would have a guest choir also.

• Advertisement

Same choir that Bon Iver used the last time, I think. Gemma Sugrue and Voice works - but don't quote me on that!

Advertisement