Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds From A Safe Harbour 2019 - Cork - September 12th to 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Hi folks - heading down Friday and have tickets for

Damien Rice - Friday
    Caoimhin & Thomas - Saturday
    Sam Amidon - Sunday

I'm really not familiar with the other acts during the days, and haven't had time to study up - have heard good things about Junior Brother, so will head along Saturday at 3

Any recommendations for anything I should check out during the day Friday and Sunday (even cool pubs / things to do in Cork for that matter?)

(I'm not only into folky/acoustic stuff by the way - would have loved to be down for Jon Hopkins tomorrow,,)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

This all looks great, folks. I wish I was heading down. My brother's off to Feist Saturday and I'm very envious. The thoughts of wandering around Cork from event to event is a tantalising one. Looking forward to post match reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭mrpdap

Went to Swan Lake this evening, utterly fabulous.
    Grab any remaining tickets and go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Ben Done wrote: »

Damien Rice - Friday
    Sam Amidon - Sunday

I'm really not familiar with the other acts during the days, and haven't had time to study up - have heard good things about Junior Brother, so will head along Saturday at 3

Any recommendations for anything I should check out during the day Friday and Sunday (even cool pubs / things to do in Cork for that matter?)

(I'm not only into folky/acoustic stuff by the way - would have loved to be down for Jon Hopkins tomorrow,,)

Just dive in, go to something you don’t know, lots of free gigs, but Feist is probably a must see, and plenty of ickets still available, they have been releasing seats held on a regular basis,despite the numerous sold out claims.

fafy wrote: »
    Just dive in, go to something you don’t know, lots of free gigs, but Feist is probably a must see, and plenty of ickets still available, they have been releasing seats held on a regular basis,despite the numerous sold out claims.

Cheers - rambling round was the initial plan, but my pal has come a cropper, and we will likely need to taxi round to specific venues.

Was just hoping someone might have a couple of must-see free shows..

Would it be feasible to go from St Lukes (8pm start) to get to Feist in time, if there were tickets available?

• Advertisement

Cheers - rambling round was the initial plan, but my pal has come a cropper, and we will likely need to taxi round to specific venues.

Was just hoping someone might have a couple of must-see free shows..

Would it be feasible to go from St Lukes (8pm start) to get to Feist in time, if there were tickets available?

Yes, thats exactly, what i am doing, apart from that overlap/clash, all venues are very walkable from each other, and one can get a taxi back t o OH after St.Lukes if required.Feist won’t be onstage by 10, theres a support act on first- Slow Moving Clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

went to Loch Na Heala this eve - OMG - totally blown away and invigorated.. won't say any more for now in case I spoil it for those going tomorrow night - never seen anything like it before.. wow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah it was pretty amazing

Yes, thats exactly, what i am doing, apart from that overlap/clash, all venues are very walkable from each other, and one can get a taxi back t o OH after St.Lukes if required.Feist won’t be onstage by 10, theres a support act on first- Slow Moving Clouds

Cheers - bought tix - quite a few good seats up now - I had thought it was sold out..

Cheers - bought tix - quite a few good seats up now - I had thought it was sold out..

Don’t believe the hype !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Damien Rice - Friday
    Sam Amidon - Sunday

The free trail has some good stuff. I'll likely try to check out...

Friday:
    The secret show at Tom Barry's at 5pm. Lovely bar, not sure who the act is so might be fun!
    Molly Sarle, 6pm Winthrop Avenue. She sounds great on the Spotify playlist.
    Bad Bones, 7pm BDSM. She's an excellent producer with a good show, though this is a dj set so not sure how much we'll see.
    Bantum, Godknows and Denise Chaila, 10pm the Roundy. Dj, hip hop stuff here, should be good if I can get in the door!

Saturday:
    37d03d Mixtape, Crane Lane at 6.30. This could be any of the acts at the festival so worth a look.
    Otherwise on Saturday, I've got a few ticketed events so won't get to the other free things I'd say but people love Junior Brother, JFDR and Nealo.

Sunday:
    I Have a Tribe, Lemoncello, Slow Moving Clouds, Dowry, Elaine Malone & Laurie Shaw, Joyero...

Take your pick! Loads on.

As for the ticketed events, I've got Jon Hopkins, Grandbrothers, Efterklang and Feist, I think.

Don’t believe the hype !

3 standing ovations - thats not hype - if anything this show was underhyped.. will say no more till after tonights show

Thanks BullBlack - great info there.

Anyone with tips on good places for grub?

sporina wrote: »
    3 standing ovations - thats not hype - if anything this show was underhyped.. will say no more till after tonights show

I think fafy was talking about the 'sold out' signs going up for Feist, and tickets being back on sale..

Thanks BullBlack - great info there.

Anyone with tips on good places for grub?

There's a restaurant recommendation thread in the Cork city forum on here that will have a heap of tips if you want something specific but here's a few. All city centre too -

Breakfast:
    The Parlour (Cornmarket St)
    Joe's & Bros (Winthrop Arcade/Oliver Plunkett St)
    Liberty Grill (Washington St)

Sandwiches/salads/lunch:
    Dukes coffee Co (Careys Lane)
    Rocket Man (Princes St)
    Lovin Salads (Academy St)
    O'Flynns Sausages (English Market)

Dinner:
    Koto (Careys Lane) - Asian
    Market Lane (Oliver Plunkett St) - Irish
    Orso (Pembroke St) - Lebanese
    White Rabbit (Maccurtain St) - bbq
    Son of a Bun (Maccurtain St) - burgers

Bars:
    Most of the bars on the music trail are decent - Tom Barry's, Callanans and Osho are popular, I'd also recommend the Roundy, Rising Sons (decent pizza here too), Impala (best craft beer bar in the country, apparently)...

There's plenty more but that's the type of place I'll be for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

There's a restaurant recommendation thread in the Cork city forum on here that will have a heap of tips if you want something specific but here's a few. All city centre too -

Breakfast:
    The Parlour (Cornmarket St)
    Joe's & Bros (Winthrop Arcade/Oliver Plunkett St)
    Liberty Grill (Washington St)

Sandwiches/salads/lunch:
    Dukes coffee Co (Careys Lane)
    Rocket Man (Princes St)
    Lovin Salads (Academy St)
    O'Flynns Sausages (English Market)

Dinner:
    Koto (Careys Lane) - Asian
    Market Lane (Oliver Plunkett St) - Irish
    Orso (Pembroke St) - Lebanese
    White Rabbit (Maccurtain St) - bbq
    Son of a Bun (Maccurtain St) - burgers

Bars:
    Most of the bars on the music trail are decent - Tom Barry's, Callanans and Osho are popular, I'd also recommend the Roundy, Rising Sons (decent pizza here too), Impala (best craft beer bar in the country, apparently)...

There's plenty more but that's the type of place I'll be for the weekend!

https://www.gooddaydeli.ie/ in Nano Nagle place does a great breakfast - can be busy … get there by 10.30 should b fine !

whatever76 wrote: »
    https://www.gooddaydeli.ie/ in Nano Nagle place does a great breakfast - can be busy … get there by 10.30 should b fine !

They do indeed - it's worth the wait!

I am referring to the consistent mentions of events sold out, on SFASH twitter, where there are plenty of tickets remaining, particularly for Feist

Thanks again BullBlackNova and others for the tips.
    Should be a great weekend!

Swan Lake was totally and utterly stunning, i was at the third and final performance tonight, 3rd row got destroyed with feathers and we loved it,

• Advertisement

Swan Lake was totally and utterly stunning, i was at the third and final performance tonight, 3rd row got destroyed with feathers and we loved it,

It's so cool that this wee festival has people going to stuff way outside their frame of reference, and being blown away by it!

It's a spiritual f@cking thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Friend of mine is sick so can’t make Damien Rice tomorrow night so will have one spare ticket for the dress circle.

First to PM is welcome to it for face value.

It's so cool that this wee festival has people going to stuff way outside their frame of reference, and being blown away by it!

It's a spiritual f@cking thing :)

You’ve got this festival nalied in one !

SFSH on FB advertised some tickets on sale for Feist - dunno if there are still some - that was yday - worth a look for those interested..
    Really looking forward to it myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Sorry annoying seeing tickets getting released for Feist now - bought back on release day which was a scramble and have crap tickets up the back and some decent seats released now <moan>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

SFSH on FB advertised some tickets on sale for Feist - dunno if there are still some - that was yday - worth a look for those interested..
    Really looking forward to it myself..

Those tickets have been onsale for weeks , bizarre that they kept on promoting it as a sold out gig and only decided to publicise these tickets at the last minute ,very poor marketing.
    Harbour is spelt Habour too on my tickets for Damein Rice tonight .

whatever76 wrote: »
    Sorry annoying seeing tickets getting released for Feist now - bought back on release day which was a scramble and have crap tickets up the back and some decent seats released now <moan>

The 500 ish tickets that were held from onsale were all great seats, many of these have gradually been drip fed back into availability over the last 2 months. I lined up at OH early on the onsale date, and got good seats, but i agree its not very fair the way this has been handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Slightly annoying alright, but still gonna be a great gig.

I was at Swan Lake Tuesday, absolutely stunning is right, however we chose front row tickets in the dress circle last week online to have a nice view, my gf was called on Monday to tell her that they need to move her to the stalls as they were closing the section where we bought tickets, fair enough.

Of course we went to the show this wasn't the case, they had instead moved a lot of paying customers from the dress circle to crappy seats in the stalls and gave free dress circle tickets out at late notice for companies around Cork as a means to fill up the empty seats, this annoyed me a bit as the right side of the stage was completely blocked from our new seats, and my friends actually ended up in our original seats (free tickets from their boss).

We called the OH on this, and tbf the house manager was completely transparent and explained they were contacted at very late notice from the event organizers for complementary tickets and to move paying customers to the stalls where possible to fill up the seats for both the performers and atmosphere.

Still not cool thou.

• Advertisement

Christopher Van Der Ven gig is happening today, and time and place tbc later

Advertisement