Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds From A Safe Harbour 2019 - Cork - September 12th to 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Any reports on Jon Hopkins?

Also, how do I find the who/where/when for the music trail, or are you supposed to just wing it, which I don't mind either really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

fafy wrote: »
    Christopher Van Der Ven gig is happening today, and time and place tbc later

Soma coffee Co also posted that they're hosting a gig at some stage today and they stay open late on Fridays. Safe bet its there id say?
    RINO87 wrote: »

Also, how do I find the who/where/when for the music trail, or are you supposed to just wing it, which I don't mind either really!

Hopkins was good. Dj set, not his own live stuff, but good sound. I wouldn't be too familiar with techno/house stuff but enjoyed what I saw.

Bantum was in support and was very good too.

Music trail is on the safe harbour website under Programme.

http://soundsfromasafeharbour.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

We called the OH on this, and tbf the house manager was completely transparent and explained they were contacted at very late notice from the event organizers for complementary tickets and to move paying customers to the stalls where possible to fill up the seats for both the performers and atmosphere.

Still not cool thou.

Whilst the festival is good for Cork ,the organisation is a bit hap hazard.
    Too many events being announced at short notice and other events going on and people arent even aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Bought tickets from toutless for Feist a few weeks ago. Bummer that there are better seats now available...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Soma coffee Co also posted that they're hosting a gig at some stage today and they stay open late on Fridays. Safe bet its there id say?

Hopkins was good. Dj set, not his own live stuff, but good sound. I wouldn't be too familiar with techno/house stuff but enjoyed what I saw.

Bantum was in support and was very good too.

Music trail is on the safe harbour website under Programme.

http://soundsfromasafeharbour.com/

Cheers, yeah the soundsystem they have in Dali is claaaaasssss!
    I'm really liking Grandbrothers. I'd say we'll go to that in st. lukes tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Zardoz wrote: »
    Whilst the festival is good for Cork ,the organisation is a bit hap hazard.
    Too many events being announced at short notice and other events going on and people arent even aware of it.

Wouldn’t agree at all, its part of how they roll, info is there if you seek it out. Need to be in town to catch these surprise events, its the third time its been on, and its normal practice, and, personally i like the random and surprise approach.

RINO87 wrote: »

The free gigs are in he blue sections here,
    http://soundsfromasafeharbour.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/SFSH19_A6_individual-panels_Final_Online-version.pdf

for the surprise gigs keep an eye on their twitter page

Has there be any random gigs/pop up stuff happening yet? Not in town for a few hours but haven't heard anything.

Has there be any random gigs/pop up stuff happening yet? Not in town for a few hours but haven't heard anything.

Nothing yet, in town, caught newbie celloist Kevin Murphy @ Crawford- really different and good, grabbing lunch and ready for whatever pops up

Ye Vagabonds sent a not so cryptic tweet about "a secret tune or two" happening later so they must be popping up somewhere.

• Advertisement

Ye Vagabonds sent a not so cryptic tweet about "a secret tune or two" happening later so they must be popping up somewhere.

Announced as being in Tom Barrys at 5pm, labellled, “Secret Show no 1”

fafy wrote: »
    Wouldn’t agree at all, its part of how they roll, info is there if you seek it out. Need to be in town to catch these surprise events, its the third time its been on, and its normal practice, and, personally i like the random and surprise approach.

Thats grand if you can keep glued to social media and are hanging around the city but its not really feasible for alot of people.

Henchys Bar in St.Lukes, tweeted Christof Van Der Ven will play in the pub tomorrow night,(time not given) and his gig today, will be announced shortly according to SFASH earlier.

Misread that, its tonight in Henchys @ 10pm

Talos announced for 7pm tomorrow night at Crawford & Co

Molly Sarle put on a good performance in Winthrop Avenue. Great voice and a good stage presence too. Not a fan of the Old Oak but that little room is a grand spot for a small gig.

Next up is Grandbrothers for me!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

At Damien Rice now. Great seats, got them late!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

Slightly annoying alright, but still gonna be a great gig.

I was at Swan Lake Tuesday, absolutely stunning is right, however we chose front row tickets in the dress circle last week online to have a nice view, my gf was called on Monday to tell her that they need to move her to the stalls as they were closing the section where we bought tickets, fair enough.

Of course we went to the show this wasn't the case, they had instead moved a lot of paying customers from the dress circle to crappy seats in the stalls and gave free dress circle tickets out at late notice for companies around Cork as a means to fill up the empty seats, this annoyed me a bit as the right side of the stage was completely blocked from our new seats, and my friends actually ended up in our original seats (free tickets from their boss).

We called the OH on this, and tbf the house manager was completely transparent and explained they were contacted at very late notice from the event organizers for complementary tickets and to move paying customers to the stalls where possible to fill up the seats for both the performers and atmosphere.

Still not cool thou.

that is horrific - fair play to you for being soo cool about it..

Jófríður Ákadóttir was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Simply spectacular performance by Damien Rice and such a funny guy as well.Such an amazing voice!

Was abit gutted he didn't sing The Blower's Daughter but we can't have it all.

Jófríður Ákadóttir A.k.a. JFDR was fantastic as well and has a lovely presence about her.

A really fantastic night!

Grandbrothers were brilliant in St Luke's. Very funny in between songs and their set up is very impressive - laptops hooked up to a grand piano to manipulate the sounds played on the keys. Really cool.

Godknows and Denise Chaila were great in Plugd after too. If anyone is at a loose end at 4pm today, she's in Pigalle on the music trail. I'll be at Efterklang but otherwise, I'd be all over that. She's excellent.

• Advertisement

Simply spectacular performance by Damien Rice and such a funny guy as well.Such an amazing voice!

Jófríður Ákadóttir A.k.a. JFDR was fantastic as well and has a lovely presence about her.

Twas superb, the 2 guest singers worked out very well, one was almost a match for Lisa H, that choir- simply amazing, and Mary Hickson onstage with the other guy on drums.

He did quite alot of talking, but all good, and a little under 2 hours onstage flew by.

Good to hear two new tracks and the “Insane” shout out by someone in the audience was great, hadn’t heard that, very early track.

What were the stage times for Damien last night? Support at 10?

Off to Feist later and just seeing about transport home after!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Fantastic concert, I wasn't expecting essentially the whole of O
    Beautiful versions, stripped back to the bones.

The crowd were so respectful and my only complaint would be that they were respectful to the point of reticence, though the bits they did sing along with were beautiful.

Support artist (I won't attempt her name) was great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

What were the stage times for Damien last night? Support at 10?

Off to Feist later and just seeing about transport home after!

Jófríður Ákadóttir was 10pm.

Damien Rice was 11pm and finished slightly before 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Damien Rice and the choir are playing in the River Lee lobby at 3pm Today.

JFDR had such a calming presence I thought. I started following her on Spotify.

Ben Done wrote: »
    Fantastic concert, I wasn't expecting essentially the whole of O

Except The Blowers Daughter and Cannonball ,his 2 best known songs.:mad:

On a technical level it was a good concert ,excellent acoustics ,but I'll be honest I nearly nodded off a few times.
    11pm is too late for a gig ,especially on a Friday night after a long week.

I wouldn't be a big fan of Rice but found he spoke too much , and seemed fairly pretentious.

The Opera House ushers were like nazis ,shining ultrabright torches at people who tried to take a photo .
    They are more of a distraction that the people taking photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Zardoz wrote: »
    Except The Blowers Daughter and Cannonball ,his 2 best known songs.:mad:

On a technical level it was a good concert ,excellent acoustics ,but I'll be honest I nearly nodded off a few times.
    11pm is too late for a gig ,especially on a Friday night after a long week.

I wouldn't be a big fan of Rice but found he spoke too much , and seemed fairly pretentious.

The Opera House ushers were like nazis ,shining ultrabright torches at people who tried to take a photo .
    They are more of a distraction that the people taking photos.

You're not allowed take photos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Feist was great tonight, 2 solid hours 11 - 1, dreamy vocals and some great guitar work, was nice to see her react to Swan lake so passionately aswel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

what a week so far.. loch na ehala.. Feist; wow I had no idea what I was in store for... I will sleep well tonight - what a day - Efterklang, Talos and Feist.. zzzz

Advertisement