Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds From A Safe Harbour 2019 - Cork - September 12th to 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Loved Efterklang in St.Lukes, after that, was at the Efterklang listening party for their new album at 7pm, in Household Linens, everyone hopped onto beds , band were there, and they played full album through superb system, had to leave quickly to go up to Thomas Bartlett in St.Lukes again - lovely gig ,and back to Feist, hadn’t seen here before but she was great, loved the Swan lake compliments, she was so right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Busy one yesterday - Efterklang excellent in St Luke's, on to the People Mixtape in the Crane Lane (Bryce Dessner, Feist, Shazad Ismaily, Andrew Barr and Alexi Murdoch just jamming) which sounded good but either I got the time wrong or it was very short, only caught two songs.

From there, Talos in Crawford & Co. They sounded fine but I'm not mad about the new album, and then it was Feist in the Opera House. Very good show, she's a great stage presence too.

Think I might skip out on today. Didn't get tickets for anything so just the free trail and other than Joyero, there's not much appealing there.

What a great festival though. So many cool events in great spaces. Here's to SFSH21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

This all sounds amazing, lads. I'll deffo be keeping my eye on it for next year.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    This all sounds amazing, lads. I'll deffo be keeping my eye on it for next year.

Its a bi annual event, well, the last 3 were anyway,so you will have to wait until 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

fafy wrote: »
    Loved Efterklang in St.Lukes, after that, was at the Efterklang listening party for their new album at 7pm, in Household Linens, everyone hopped onto beds , band were there, and they played full album through superb system, had to leave quickly to go up to Thomas Bartlett in St.Lukes again - lovely gig ,and back to Feist, hadn’t seen here before but she was great, loved the Swan lake compliments, she was so right.

Efterklang had us all singing like a bunch of babies in St Lukes.. such a lovely gig.. the 1st song was v dodgy.. glad it wasn't a sign of things to come..

I loved the Talos gig - hadn't seem him before - he's v talented.. got v hot in there though..

Feist was unreal.. and what a way to start (with her sentiments about Loch Na Heala... )..
    Her voice is actually better live than on the albums.. yeah she has fantastic stage presence.. she seems like a v cool person..

Was anyone in the Kino Fri eve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You're not allowed take photos

Really I'd never has guessed that :rolleyes:

I wasnt taking pictures ,it was so dark in there that no pictures would have come out properly anyway unless you had a very good camera ,anything on a mobile phone would be rubbish.

I dont have an issue with no photos ,I've been to other shows in the Opera House with that policy in place and always felt the ushers are overly fussy and constantly shining ultrabright blue torches around .
    Ive seen them shine it at people looking at the time on a digital watch .

If you turn the screen luminace down on a phone and dont use a flash its not invasive .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Zardoz wrote: »
    You're not allowed take photos

Really I'd never has guessed that :rolleyes:

I wasnt taking pictures ,it was so dark in there that no pictures would have come out properly anyway unless you had a very good camera ,anything on a mobile phone would be rubbish.

I dont have an issue with no photos ,I've been to other shows in the Opera House with that policy in place and always felt the ushers are overly fussy and constantly shining ultrabright blue torches around .
    Ive seen them shine it at people looking at the time on a digital watch .

If you turn the screen luminace down on a phone and dont use a flash its not invasive .
    Only idiots take photos when they are clearly told not to take them at concerts. Enjoy the concert and don't distract other people. It should be simple. Staff are doing the job they have too due to ignorant people who don't respect rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Peter File wrote: »
    Only idiots take photos when they are clearly told not to take them at concerts. Enjoy the concert and don't distract other people. It should be simple. Staff are doing the job they have too due to ignorant people who don't respect rules.

I saw the staff at the Feist gig kind of floating around people with cameras, but I took a video anyway. What was WAY more distracting was the amount of people constantly getting up during the gig to go to the bar, so everyone in the row had to stand up sit down, stand up sit down. Always the same at gigs in Ireland. Wouldn't mind if it was a regular kind of gig venue, but having a bar open at an all seated gig in the opera house was mad. Close it, the gig was on at 11. People had plenty of time for drinking before it. I don't get it. You pay €40 for a ticket, and go in and out to the bar missing some songs. People wouldn't do it at the cinema :)#
    Seating in the Opera house was a bit dodgy too. There was zero space between my seat and the one in front. I had to sit to the side, or have my knees spread. Feist was good, but people going in and out all the time was a distraction. Much more than any picture taking.

Anyone make it to Lhasa? Curious to know how it went.

Loved the festival again this year - it really is such a special event. The music tends to be right up my alley so I know I'm lucky in that regard but I tend to look forward to it more than any other festival.

Only complaint I had this year was that the Sunday bill seemed very light.

I also wouldn't be opposed to moving the Opera House headline shows a little earlier - but I presume they're on late to avoid clashing with the St Luke's headline shows so that makes sense at least.

I also wouldn't be opposed to moving the Opera House headline shows a little earlier - but I presume they're on late to avoid clashing with the St Luke's headline shows so that makes sense at least.

To max out a festival, and have a wide choice of events, its unavoidable.

It was possible because of the careful scheduling, to attend multiple gigs on the same day. Getting from Thomas Bartlett St. Lukes gig,(8pm start) to Feist (10pm start)was easy. I saw many people who were at both, so having the OH gigs on a little later, facilitated that for those who were interested.

Think of any festival, there always going to be some clashes, but they deliberately scheduled the festival, that these were minimised. Hence, Efterklang were at 4pm etc, to facilitate people who wanted to go to a few events in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Anyone make it to Lhasa? Curious to know how it went.

Loved the festival again this year - it really is such a special event. The music tends to be right up my alley so I know I'm lucky in that regard but I tend to look forward to it more than any other festival.

Only complaint I had this year was that the Sunday bill seemed very light.

Went to LHASA sun night - it was amazing ! I didn't want it to end .. could have sat there all night listening to the 5 singers - one was as good as each other. Feist solo with just Piano think it was called ' Im Going in ' towards end - my god … you couldn't hear a pin drop in place. Sublime . I reckon it was only half full which was a pity as people seriously missed out on an incredible gig

Fab weekend of music - so cool seeing it in Cork and the buzz about. Like you right up my street music wise. Serious musicians about - some bit out there but all very interesting !! Here's to 2021 - hope it continues ... ! Big shout out to Mary Hickson !!!

whatever76 wrote: »
    Went to LHASA sun night - it was amazing ! I didn't want it to end .. could have sat there all night listening to the 5 singers - one was as good as each other. Feist solo with just Piano think it was called ' Im Going in ' towards end - my god … you couldn't hear a pin drop in place. Sublime . I reckon it was only half full which was a pity as people seriously missed out on an incredible gig

Fab weekend of music - so cool seeing it in Cork and the buzz about. Like you right up my street music wise. Serious musicians about - some bit out there but all very interesting !! Here's to 2021 - hope it continues ... ! Big shout out to Mary Hickson !!!

Great to hear how good it was.

I had seriously considered going, and had noticed how poor tickets were going, so knew i could, pick one up one at any time, but went to so many, starting Thursday night with Swan Lake, and 2 all day sessions from 12 noon to 1am on both fri/sat, i was wiped out, so wrapped it up with Rosie Carney on Sunday night.

The respect for Mary H was palpable, she was specifically mentioned at every single event i attended. Ekterklang said onstage- she must be so famous in Cork, she is to some, but not to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I had seriously considered going, and had noticed how poor tickets were going, so knew i could, pick one up one at any time, but went to so many, starting Thursday night with Swan Lake, and 2 all day sessions from 12 noon to 1am on both fri/sat, i was wiped out, so wrapped it up with Rosie Carney on Sunday night.

The respect for Mary H was palpable, she was specifically mentioned at every single event i attended. Ekterklang said onstage- she must be so famous in Cork, she is to some, but not to many.

So true - she was mentioned all the time. Artists have huge respect for her. On Sunday night I was looking at Bryce Dessner playing away and I was like just last week he was playing to sold out gigs in US for the National ( finished on Thursday night in Taxas I think) and there he was on stage in COH on a sunday night ! Mad !!!

Ah that's great that it went well - but I was in the exact same boat as Fafy. Just wiped by the end of it so I left it off!

Here's to 2021 - I wonder who they'll drag out for that one? Richard Reed Parry, presumably, but it would be interesting to see who else is on the list!

awe.. well jel.. really wanted to go, but like others, I had reached my threshold by Sun avo... Feist on Sat night was the hiatus for me.. had to be fresh for work on Mon morn.. not so young anymore.. but would love to have witnessed the piano solo - hopefully it will emerge on line somewhere.. again, Feist is a legend - feel really privileged to have had the chance to see her perform live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

First 4 shows announced

Lads what's the deal with tickets for these gigs? Are they through the site? And when are they up?

All go on sale Friday 10am thru cork opera website (which will undoubtedly crash)

Onsale is Friday May 12th, and agree COH website will crash, yet again, unless they have some significant upgrades.

• Advertisement

Apologies, was about to jump back and say it’s Friday week.

hopefully they don’t announce the other batch next week and have them all going on sale on Friday week

As someone pointed out on the 2023 gigs thread, the Sunday announced gig, is 6pm, (the other 3 were 8pm gigs)so there will be another headline act slotted in after that, i would think.

There are also possible options, for later 11pm gigs as well, at COH.

I hear two other rumoured acts yet to be announced.

so they could easily be the Sunday 8pm show and a late show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I nominate... Jenny Lewis!

:)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

If I can get tickets for Wilco on the Saturday, I might ditch my Dublin tickets and make a weekend of it. Never been to SFSH. What's the craic with it lads? Is there much music outside the headline gigs? They have a music trail, right? I love Cork, the idea of wombling around from pub to pub watching music is wildly tempting! Convince me!

Right, i’l give it a go.

Multiple announcements to come, as they use multiple venues across the city. All of the big ones are ticketed, but there are some free gigs, and a music trail. They usually do some art stuff as well. There is usually talks as well, Cillian Murphy did one a while back, upstairs in a tiny upstairs space over a pub, and other interesting people as well.

I’d also expect some theatre events.

They have also been known for surprise “pop up” free gigs announced last minute, Bon Iver did one of these a few years back. These are flagged on social media, you just need to be in city centre though to catch them.

Mary Hickson has an incredible list of contacts, so i’d expect another few big names to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

They really should stagger the sales, the website isn't designed for multiple onsales at the same time.

Given that Wilco already doing Irish shiws might lessen demand a bit and Feist coming back might not be as quick a sell as last time

• Advertisement

Saw Feist in the opera house at this fest in 2019 (I think).. she was claaassss.... played 2 hrs..

Ticket sales with the opera house can be a nightmare.. lets hope things have improved

Advertisement