Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds From A Safe Harbour 2019 - Cork - September 12th to 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

I was at that, i didn’t know her stuff, but she was fantastic.

Hickson confirmed a “yet to revealed”- “finale” would take place, so that would be the 2nd gig at COH on Sunday night confirmed.

https://www.hotpress.com/music/first-acts-for-sounds-from-a-safe-harbour-2023-have-been-announced-22965837

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I dont think Feist sold out last time.

The Opera house seemed to hold a huge amount of tickets back for her and released them too late.

This was part of the problem with ticket sales for the headline OH gigs in 2019, roughly half of the Damien Rice tickets were held also, the website crashed, but about half of the 1,000 tickets were never available, so it was easy to blame the website.

However, this festival is different, most of the acts stay around for several days, its part of it all, so clearly, they are going to look after them.

Just spotted this, it says “standing gigs”, at COH, which is good, as it means more tickets will be available. 2019 was fully seated at COH for all events, as were previous years.

There are no theatre events on in COH, for this years festival. which was the case in previous years, so, they can now pull the ground floor seats out, for whole 4 days. And relocate any theatre events, to the Everyman Palace theatre, or elsewhere.

Standing at COH is very easy, as they have staggered barriers up at various points, and you are looking down at stage, so it works very well. Still a seated option upstairs, allthough, most of those, will likely be reserved for “guests” and festival acts.

Plus standing usually means alcohol can be brought in downstairs.

• Advertisement

Alcohol, is always available in all areas of COH, only caveat is, to enter the auditorium, you must have the beverage, in a plastic cup, which are available at the bar when ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Beware of where you get your seat. I was at the Feist gig a few years ago in COH. Upstairs on the balcony looking at the stage. A 3ft person would have been able to only fit in the seat I was in. My knees were up in the air. I didn't kick up a fuss, just got through the gig, but had to sit eventually with my legs to the side.

Always a small number, of dodgy seats, at all venues, in this case, it will not be an issue, as 3 quarters of the tickets, will be standing, and the bulk of the upstairs seats, will be held for guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Last gig I was there was Mick Flanneey and for some reason they didn't allow in drink. Hopefully an exception to the rule..

Must have been an all seated “quieter gig”, but i have not come across that myself.

Heineken are one of the sponsors of SFASH, so there is no way, there will be a ban on drink in auditorium, in fact, for standing gigs, which these gigs all are, they often have a bar, at the very back of the standing area

• Advertisement

Interesting but I dont think that is correct, I've been told at multiple gigs that no alcohol is allowed to be brought into the auditorium.

I will enquire at the bar next time Im there about the plastic cups.

Thats been my experience. Most of the gigs i have attended there, have been standing, but have also been at seated gigs. Drink in plastic cup is only restriction i’ve seen.

However, from above comments, It appears, an act can decide, if drinks are allowed in, or not, and allow the crowd movement, that comes with entering and re-entering auditorium, just not any of the acts i’ve seen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

no when I was at Mario a few mths ago, drinks wer not allowed in - whether in plastic cup or not..

twas no harm... less people getting up during gig to use loo etc

Change in onsale times for 1st 4 announced events, onsale tomorrow

1)Feist

2)Ye Vagabonds Lighthouse Constellations

both stay @ 10 am online & in person

3)Wilco

4)Bonny Light Horseman

Both moved, to 12 noon online & in person

They said they are staggering the time to keep things running smoothly, it was carnage in 2019, when website collapsed.

https://twitter.com/safeharbourfest/status/1656599370026844160?s=46&t=CgTHhXs4E8rGyuaZzDMkuw

Post edited by fafy on

Thats a wise decision.

Demand might not be as high this year, the acts arent as big as previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh god 12 does not suit me at all....fingers crossed now

Yeah was only thinking it would be a good idea to stagger them. Feist also playing Dublin and tickets on sale at 9 tomorrow. Wilco already playing Dublin too. And Bonny Light Horseman but not officially announced yet afaik

For online, it makes sense, but for those lining up, in person, they should be offered all 4, as now, they could have to buy tickets for 1st 2 gigs, exit, and then rejoin, a presumably 2nd q for the 12 noon onsale.

Yeah that's a fair shout actually. I'm not sure how many queue in person these days or how many will be going to 3/4 of the gigs but hopefully there will be a common sense policy on the day in person.

1st two gigs bought in person.

Have to wait around until 12 now, for the other two, so, no sign of any “common sense approach” here.

I’m standing for these, but just hearing, almost no seats available for Feist at least, but thats normal, a lot of seats will never go onsale at all.

• Advertisement

Were there many buying tickets in person by any chance? Picked up a ticket for Bonny Light Horseman online there

Not many, maybe 15 or so, at10am, all buying multiple tickets though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

just got tickets online for Feist - twas no bother..

Yeah chanced getting 1 too. Sure not often an artist like that is in Cork. Playing national stadium in Dublin which personally don't think is as good/nice a venue either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Wilco tickets bought. Pretty straightforward in the end.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Got a Wilco ticket very easily, not much demand.

I seem to recall there being a season ticket in the past for all main events, presume thats not available this time ?

Id say alot of people dont even know tickets are on sale, very little advertising.

The Opera House should really email past purchasers with info about upcoming events.

Possibly in 1st year in 2015, it certainly was not done for 2017, or 2019, or this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The best/worst (delete as appropriate) example of that I saw recently was Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve in the NCH. I thought it would be panic stations the morning they went on sale. Nothing of the kind. And sales were sluggish for a few weeks until - presumably prompted by media or advertising - they suddenly rocketed and it sold out. In the case of that and Wilco in Cork, it could be argued that because neither was sold via Ticketmaster, there was no broader awareness of them.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

Yeah good shout. Or have a SFASH mailing list.

Advertisement