Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drain rod retrieval

• 13-05-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

I have a recurring issue with my outside drain blocking. I since had it cctv'd and some idiot left two rods down there (previous owner possibly)

Any recommendations on any companies in Limerick (not dyno rod) to retrieve them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Did the person who cctv'ed the drain not have the necessary equipment to remove them?

Where are the junction boxes for the drain located?
    How far apart are the junction boxes?

You can buy a rodding kit in argos for less than €20.

This will give you reach of just over 10 meters.

Simply push them to the next junction box and remove them from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Why not Dyno rod? Prices?
    We used them and they were grand. Replaced broken pump in our septic system.
    I pulled some broken wood out of my drain soon after moving in. It was the size of a large crow. Used the flappy tool on drain rods. Pulling is easier than pushing because you don’t need to worry about where it stops. Also you don’t need to remove the toilet to get at it if it’s between that and the first access point. The plunger tool did not work in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

AnRothar wrote: »
    Did the person who cctv'ed the drain not have the necessary equipment to remove them?

Where are the junction boxes for the drain located?
    How far apart are the junction boxes?

You can buy a rodding kit in argos for less than €20.

This will give you reach of just over 10 meters.

Simply push them to the next junction box and remove them from there.

It is beyond the last box and located where the sewer line meets the municipal sewer. Not as simple as just putting down a rod set, which I have. The company who cctv'd didn't have the equipment to retrieve them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

It is beyond the last box and located where the sewer line meets the municipal sewer. Not as simple as just putting down a rod set, which I have. The company who cctv'd didn't have the equipment to retrieve them.

Could you try asking the local authority or Irish Water to resolve the problem

phog wrote: »
    Could you try asking the local authority or Irish Water to resolve the problem

It's on my side of the boundary. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody but they are unretrievable by anybody but a professional hence the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats on the end. is it catching on a fitting or just sitting there.
    how far beyond the AJ
    can you put in another AJ

whats on the end. is it catching on a fitting or just sitting there.
    how far beyond the AJ
    can you put in another AJ

Just sitting there as the cctv actually pushed it down further. About 6m down. It is actually on the street side, outside the boundary, but can only be accessed from my side hence whit it needs to pulled back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Just sitting there as the cctv actually pushed it down further. About 6m down. It is actually on the street side, outside the boundary, but can only be accessed from my side hence whit it needs to pulled back out.

Must have been left there bi the county council so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/universal-drain-rod-retrieving-tool.html but you can make something better with a coat hanger and a couple of jubilee clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I would recommend Ecojet, a local company. They have done work for me before

www.ecojet.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement