Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirming blown power supply?

Options
  • 13-05-2019 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all, I built a PC for my son about 3 years ago...has been working fine until today when it stopped turning on. No response at all when pressing or long-pressing the power button. First thought was the power supply...I tried switching off the PSU and then shorting out the green & black pins (4 + 3) on the motherboard plug. When I turned the PSU switch back on, all the fans inc. the PSU fan gave one little kick and the case lights flashed on, but then nothing. If I switch everything off, then plug it back into the motherboard, pressing the power switch gives the same response. From what I've read, this sounds like it's indicating a blown power supply - does this sound right? Is there any way I can test it to confirm this before forking out for a new one? I'm happy using a multimeter etc.
    The PSU is a Corsair VS450 (I may have underclubbed this a little in the first place).
    Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement