Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laurel hedge leaves turning yellow

Options
  • 13-05-2019 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Laurel hedge planted since November last. 180 planted and about 15 - 20 of them have leaves turning yellow going brittle and dry and falling off.
    Some might be 2 or 3 together others are just individual ones its happening to.
    The rest of the laurels seem fine and have new shoots. Watered during warm spells. Any idea whats causing this or what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

+1 exact same problem here. The hedges has been sowed for 2 years but had to move and replant last october. I presume they have died or in the process of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Plants will sometimes take nutrients from older leaves to allow them put more into new growth. Some leaves turning yellow and falling off can be a natural process and may not be anything worth worrying about. I have a recently planted Portugal laurel that is looking particularly rough for the last couple of months. I just checked on it there and it now has only about one of the older larger leaves left but has gone on to produce many more new smaller leaves. It still looks a bit more bare than it has done before. I have noticed quite a few things in my garden are holding off a bit longer on producing the normal amount of fresh growth for summer and I think it is just related to the late frosts we have been getting over the last few weeks. I would not presume everything that is looking a bit rough after a long season of frosty nights is in the process of dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Assuming these were bare-root plants they probably just failed to transplant.
    Bare-root evergreens require more care than deciduous ones, the leaves especially need to be kept moist in dry spells for the first couple of weeks to prevent too much moisture loss and they need to be watered in well to encourage rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Thanks for replies.
    Some of mine are almost bare, only have 3 or 4 yellow leaves left maybe.
    Yes they were bare root. I watered them in well. With weather like we are having now i would give them a good watering every second night. Other than i didnt give it much water with the wetter weather earlier on in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

eoin.d wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.
    Some of mine are almost bare, only have 3 or 4 yellow leaves left maybe.
    Yes they were bare root. I watered them in well. With weather like we are having now i would give them a good watering every second night. Other than i didnt give it much water with the wetter weather earlier on in the year

Sounds like standardg60 is right then. I read your first post as there were only some of the leaves turning yellow. Only 3 or 4 yellow leaves left on almost bare plants sounds a lot more severe than I had pictured and it would be much less likely to find them recover to full health. At least with laurel finding replacement plants should be easy enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement