Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin local government

Options
  • 14-05-2019 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

Which would you prefer?

What local government system would you like for Dublin City and County? 37 votes

One council for the whole of Dublin
    86% 32 votes
    The current four councils (City, Fingal, South, Dun Laoghaire)
    10% 4 votes
    Split up the current four councils into London-style boroughs (e.g. Rathmines, Finglas etc.)
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I personally don't think 4 councils are enough for the population of Dublin. I have voted in the poll for boroughs similar to the London model, but would also be happy with splitting Dublin City Council to actually look after Dublin City (e.g Dublin 1 and 2) and for a new council to be developed for North Dublin between the city and Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The London boroughs have populations from 155,594 to 372,752 for a total population of 8,408,887 across 32 boroughs. Average population 262,778. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_boroughs

The Dublin councils have populations from 217,274 to 553,165 for a total population of 1,345,402 across the 4 councils. Average population 336,350. Outside that, you have Kildare (222,130), Meath (194,942) and Wicklow (142,332). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

The only one that sticks out is Dublin City at 553,165. Splitting it would likely turn into a northside-southside debate. I'm not seeing a radical ability or need for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I live in Beaumont. If we assume that under the London system the borough's are equivalent to the election wards, I'd be in either the Artane, Clontarf or Whitehall borough. Maybe even Donaghmede. It would be nice of the DCC suburbs to be independent of the city like the boroughs of London are. A lot of them are nowhere near each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

London has a directly elected mayor who has control over, for example, strategic housing & transport policy for all of London.
    The boroughs are only independent for those functions not in the remit of the mayor.
    So I don't think the poll is a accurate reflection of how London local government is constructed currently e.g. it is "London-style boroughs and elected mayor"

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I live in Beaumont. If we assume that under the London system the borough's are equivalent to the election wards, I'd be in either the Artane, Clontarf or Whitehall borough. Maybe even Donaghmede. It would be nice of the DCC suburbs to be independent of the city like the boroughs of London are. A lot of them are nowhere near each other.

Donaghmede? There are at least 10 'boroughs' closer to Beaumont than Donaghmede......

Whitehall, Kilmore, Coolock, Artane, Raheny, Killester, Kilbarrack, Santry, Drumcondra, Glasnevin.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Victor wrote: »
    The London boroughs have populations from 155,594 to 372,752 for a total population of 8,408,887 across 32 boroughs. Average population 262,778. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_boroughs

The Dublin councils have populations from 217,274 to 553,165 for a total population of 1,345,402 across the 4 councils. Average population 336,350. Outside that, you have Kildare (222,130), Meath (194,942) and Wicklow (142,332). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

The only one that sticks out is Dublin City at 553,165. Splitting it would likely turn into a northside-southside debate. I'm not seeing a radical ability or need for change.
    Are you including London city proper, population <10,000?

Advertisement