Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valkyria Chronicles - Switch

Options
  • 14-05-2019 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭

So i splashed out and bought this for a whopping €10.

Loving it for the most part, except the controls have been doing my head in with regards to driving the tank.

I'm not far in, got to a mission where i had to split push on a base. (Mission 05 - Wildwood Warfare at Kloden) I spent most of the game missing shots and getting wrecked. Is it just me or is the enemies ability to light you up alot worse than what your team can do to them on their go's?

I cross enemy fire and they destroy me in a second, they do it to me and my guys barely get to lock on aim, never mind get a shot off. anyway i waste alot of turns trying to rescue downed players. I spent about 3 rounds more than necessary to capture the first major point. I push my tank to the last big camp and a guy with a bad ass enemy tank appears.

Anyway he shuffles about and has to drive down and attack me behind a build, hits hard and then drives back. Not too bad, my go, i waste 3 turns just trying to maneuver the tank, one second you're reversing fine, second its going completely the wrong way, the controls are all over the place, anyway im left in the open, the enemy tank just two shots me and kills my tank, game over, over an hour wasted.

Frustrated would be an understatement, are the tank controls notoriously terrible in this game?

Also should i be grinding skirmishes a lot for xp/resources?? Or can you get by on just sticking to main missions. The amount of damage and missing my troops/tank were doing in that mission is making me think i should be :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

nix wrote: »
    So i splashed out and bought this for a whopping €10.

Loving it for the most part, except the controls have been doing my head in with regards to driving the tank.

I'm not far in, got to a mission where i had to split push on a base. (Mission 05 - Wildwood Warfare at Kloden) I spent most of the game missing shots and getting wrecked. Is it just me or is the enemies ability to light you up alot worse than what your team can do to them on their go's?

I cross enemy fire and they destroy me in a second, they do it to me and my guys barely get to lock on aim, never mind get a shot off. anyway i waste alot of turns trying to rescue downed players. I spent about 3 rounds more than necessary to capture the first major point. I push my tank to the last big camp and a guy with a bad ass enemy tank appears.

Anyway he shuffles about and has to drive down and attack me behind a build, hits hard and then drives back. Not too bad, my go, i waste 3 turns just trying to maneuver the tank, one second you're reversing fine, second its going completely the wrong way, the controls are all over the place, anyway im left in the open, the enemy tank just two shots me and kills my tank, game over, over an hour wasted.

Frustrated would be an understatement, are the tank controls notoriously terrible in this game?

Also should i be grinding skirmishes a lot for xp/resources?? Or can you get by on just sticking to main missions. The amount of damage and missing my troops/tank were doing in that mission is making me think i should be :(

Great game, bought it last sale and loved it. Bought VC4 too on the back of that.

With regards crossing enemy fire, just make sure you don't end a players turn without getting them into cover, either crouching in grass or behind sandbags or just generally out of line of sight. It depends what type of enemy your player runs across too. If its a Scout you'll probably be OK as their rifles have slower RoF whereas a Shock Trooper will spray the crap out of you with a machine gun and leave you in a lifeless heap on the ground.

Scouts are pretty OP in the game so leveling them up at the training ground is useful at first. You'll find you can complete a lot of missions with Scouts alone.

And yes, tank controls are absolutely terrible and I've wasted many a turn fighting with the controls trying to get tank into position. Lancers are useful as anti-tank units but early game they will miss a lot of shots unless they are a few yards away from target.

As you level up units at the training ground you unlock new commands too. There is one command (defense up or something like that) which pretty much makes any unit a tank and you can cheese a lot of missions with this order on a Scout by just running through hails of fire relatively unharmed.

Pro tip - you can actually save mid mission. I didn't learn this until second last mission :( Pause and I think its in System option, so save before you do any risky turns.

A good idea to look at YouTube clips of the mission after you finish them at the start so you pick up useful tips and quite often, learn how you can cheese the mission you just spent an hour on in 1 turn :) There is a Youtuber called Kyorisu who has A Rank video's up for most of the levels in first game.
    I didn't bother with Skirmishes until later in the game when I was have having real trouble and needed some of the better commands. You should be OK to ignore them for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to keep up with the enemies you'll need to do the side missions where available. It will make sure your level keeps pace with the enemies as around the halfway mark you'll start to struggle until units learn their secondary abilities.

Regarding enemies avoiding fire, you'll get more accurate as you level up. There's no point shooting at an enemy behind cover. Destroy the cover with grenades first then light them up. Also always go for headshots in close to medium range, usually works out better than shots to the chest.

Some enemies have names instead of generic enemy names. These guys are aces and will dodge a load of your shots. Best to wear them down with grenades. They can be frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm surprised at just how much im loving this game, the combat can be frustrating at times, but everything else is quality.

I just finished the mission where
    Isara dies at the end
    , really caught me by surprise, didnt think the game was gonna throw a curve ball like that at me.. :eek:

I'll defo be picking up VC4 in the future, are VC 2 and 3 that bad they are worth skipping? are they separate from the story/characters in VC1? VC 4 looks to have the same characters from the box art ive seen..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Valkyria Chronicles 2 has one of the most insanely bad storylines ever. It's hilariously bad. However the moment to moment gameplay is excellent and I'd say well worth playing it still if you just want a fun game. Really enjoyed the new units as well, especially the melee class. It kept me sane during the period I was writing my phd thesis and I put 140 hours into it.

VC3 is meant to have the gameplay of VC2 but a much better story. It's supposed to be really good but I've not gotten around to playing it.

Advertisement