Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tummy Bug

Options
  • 14-05-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭

3yr old hasn't kept anything down for almost 24hrs now.

At what stage should I be thinking of going to a doctor?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How long did he fast for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

beertons wrote: »
    How long did he fast for?

started getting sick yesterday around 12 midday, couldn't keep anything down all day. Tried toast at 11 last night and got sick 20mins later. Tried again at 10am this morning and same result.

So I guess that was about a 10hr fast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Are they keeping down water? Call your doctor or one of those medical helplines if you have private insurance and they will advise you. I don't think anyone here should advise you but all I can say is I usually didn't feel the need to go to the doctor after a day.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Are they keeping down water? Call your doctor or one of those medical helplines if you have private insurance and they will advise you. I don't think anyone here should advise you but all I can say is I usually didn't feel the need to go to the doctor after a day.

yeah, she wasn't holding down anything yesterday but seems (hopefully) to be pulling out of it now. Ah i wouldn't come on here looking for medical advice really just getting a vibe for what way people approach this matter.

De Bhál wrote: »
    yeah, she wasn't holding down anything yesterday but seems (hopefully) to be pulling out of it now. Ah i wouldn't come on here looking for medical advice really just getting a vibe for what way people approach this matter.

I didn't mean it as a reprimand. :D My instinct would be that you don't need to worry but I don't have medical background and only you know what your child is like, do they have temperature, rash etc.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean it as a reprimand. :D My instinct would be that you don't need to worry but I don't have medical background and only you know what your child is like, do they have temperature, rash etc.

No, no rash or temperature. It looks like a 24hr vomiting bug at this stage. I guess I was starting to worry a bit that she hadn't really eaten anything in 20hours

De Bhál wrote: »
    No, no rash or temperature. It looks like a 24hr vomiting bug at this stage. I guess I was starting to worry a bit that she hadn't really eaten anything in 20hours

Well I remember once one of ours was vomiting for longer than 2 weeks and barely keeping any food down. I went to the doctor and was told it's just something it's going around and it could go on for another week. The next day she was fine.

Well I remember once one of ours was vomiting for longer than 2 weeks and barely keeping any food down. I went to the doctor and was told it's just something it's going around and it could go on for another week. The next day she was fine.

2 weeks!

looks like my alarm bell is too highly tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I find sucking on ice cubes a good way to get started if they’re really struggling to keep anything down! I’d go for flat seven up after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We had this last year, two older girls tag teamed for about two weeks. Nearly lost my mind.

OP my 6 yr old has had a bug for 24 hrs now. Not keeping much down. Definitley something going around. Just praying she keeps it to herself and doesn’t share with her sisters!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I posted elsewhere but have been through this (hell) a number of times.You know your own child OP, go to the doctor immediately if you feel they are not improving.Ringing the insurance line is good too.But in the meantime, my approach is usually dry toast, regular sips of water/water with a tiny amount of dilute in it, dry plain biscuits or dry cereal if she's hungry.At a push, having been to Temple St with this a couple of times, dioralyte sipped (with some dilute if needed) is good too.

We had one dose of this recently in the house that went on for 7-10 days per child, and someone else posted on it here too, it was a vicious one doing the rounds this year.So keep an eye and see how she goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Its the dehydration thats the big problem.

Doctors dont even blink if you cant keep food in for 3 or 4 weeks, but you have to keep replacing fluids.

Baby food from jars is usually a great bland option that puts little stress on the digestive system and stays down when other food wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

There's a nasty Gastro bug going around. Our little lad was vomiting 1-2 times per day for a couple of days last week which progressed into lots vomiting and diarrhoea on day 3. We couldn't' keep up with the fluid loss so into Crumlin we went - all docs we met told us they have a lot of kids in there with Gastro at the moment. One doc said "usually 1st Gastro Season is in March but seems to started later this year around Late April".

They reckoned our lad probably had Norovirus - not fun.

What we learned from a previous Gastro (where they have vomiting and diarrhoea) was 5ml of dioralyte every 5mins - it's what they'll get you to do in hospital anyway for 5-6 hours and only if kid can't keep that down will they put them on a drip (Assuming no other major symptoms).

Advertisement