Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeremy Kyle AXED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

To be honest Im surprised something like this didn't happen sooner.

It's obvious to anyone who's ever seen the show that most of the guests are a few slices short of a loaf.

You then proceed to parade these people in front of a live audience and millions of people worldwide and humiliate them, it's disturbing.

The show then claim they have an "after care" team that follows up and looks after the guests which is ironic since the people are more than likely worse off after the show than before they came due to what they have been subjected to.

Jeremy Kyle himself always came across to me as an odious, arrogant and warped individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Good riddance, hopefully. I'm just glad (and surprised) that this is somehow the first time this has happened.

Dress it up however you want it's a modern day freak show. Wheel out the povs and the plebs so we can laugh at them while a prick in a suit shouts at them. Thin veneer of providing aftercare (have heard of incidents like that aftercare amounting to six counselling sessions, in London, for people living in Newcastle or Manchester), thicker veneer of righteous moral judgement as embodied by aforementioned prick in a suit shouting. All to pretend it's not sick, smug voyeurism at lives of absolute misery.

If his conscience hasn't been dented of years of making a mint doing that to people then I doubt a suicide will get to him. Cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How much of it is real? It's obviously heavily edited.

Surely the participants are coached by producers before filming commences.

Everybody gets paid and I 've even heard stories of guests being encouraged to drink alcohol backstage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The Jerry Springer show is currently being sued over a guest who committed suicide shortly after appearing on the show also.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6981101/Jerry-Springer-sued-family-man-killed-show.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Don't suppose there's anything they could charge Kyle with?

I mean he (presumably) took a vulnerable adult, destroyed him for entertainment purposes and berated/badgered him for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I mean he (presumably) took a vulnerable adult, destroyed him for entertainment purposes and berated/badgered him for good measure.

You're one to talk! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He was always a part and just milked people for entrainment purposes.
    Similar to some radio hosts here.
    It's almost like they get off on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If I remember right it happened to one of the "Big" day time talk shows in the US in the 90's? (Sally or something maybe) and it cancelled the show...... Hard to pull back from something like that especially these days

• Advertisement

Good riddance, hopefully. I'm just glad (and surprised) that this is somehow the first time this has happened.

Dress it up however you want it's a modern day freak show. Wheel out the povs and the plebs so we can laugh at them while a prick in a suit shouts at them.
    I used to think this way too. My gut reaction was that these people were being exploited.

They ARE being exploited, and I think they understand this.

What's so marvellous about it, is how they just want to be themselves and they couldn't care less what we think about them.

Did you ever hear of a play called Huis Clos? If you haven't, I wouldn't recommend it. It's very boring. It's about Hell.

Three people are dead. They are sent to Hell. They are locked in a hotel room, and the room is very opulant. They were all bad people, but they forgave themselves. The torture is inflicted by each of them experiencing one another's sins. Even when they get a chance to leave, they are so focused on one another's bad behaviour, that they cannot exit Hell (the English title of the play is No Exit)

That's how I see the Jeremy Kyle show. It's a play about the protagonists (guests) and the people who are upset by it. And if I had a choice, I'd far prefer to be one of the protagonists. It's the angry, fascinated viewer who is trapped in someone else's Hell.

He was always a part and just milked people for entrainment purposes.
    Similar to some radio hosts here.
    It's almost like they get off on it.

Joe Duffy's faux concern appeals to a base element.

Joe Duffy's faux concern appeals to a base element.
    Objection, your honour!

Joe Duffy's faux concern and lack of skill appeals to all-comers, just like a pile-up on the N7.

Read the LiveLine thread in the radio forum. There have been users there, past and present, who have made an art of satirising Duffy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Jeremy Kyle is a pathetic human being - and I doubt he is losing any sleep over the death of a baited "guest" but rather that his lurid show and source of money has been axed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was absolute crap but it was bound to happen now we are living in the age of snowflakes culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

That's how I see the Jeremy Kyle show. It's a play about the protagonists (here, the hotel guests) and the people who are upset by it. And if I had a choice, I'd far prefer to be one of the protagonists. It's the angry, fascinated viewer who is trapped in someone else's Hell.

Someone who was on the show actually killed himself and your reaction is to bemoan its cancellation and spout this nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its nothing to do with being a "snowflake".
    The whole concept of the show was to round up the poorly educated great unwashed from UK council estates, people who largely grew up in situations with domestic abuse, poverty,mental health issues, neglect & addictions, and let them humiliate themselves so that middle class average people could sneer & look down on them.

That was literally the whole point of the show & the faux concern for "aftercare" was all lip service to cover their arses.

The people this show frequently chose to have as guests are unfortunately the kind of people who are ill equipped to deal with the negative attention, pressure & judgement that comes with featuring on a show like this.

Its frankly a miracle that something similar didn't happen sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Someone who was on the show actually killed himself and your reaction is to bemoan its cancellation and spout this nonsense?

All those years of listening to Jeremy was going to cause some issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Tragic case

'I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU' Jeremy Kyle guest died of a drug overdose after failing lie detector test that exposed cheating

Steve Dymond sent a tragic final text to his ex-partner Jane saying: 'I just wanted to say sorry before I go'

Jane said the pair split up after the show — in which Jeremy Kyle had revealed to the audience that Steve failed the lie test.

Just before his death Steve texted Jane to say he could not face life without her. In desperate messages he wrote: "I can’t live without you. I just wanted to come and see you. I just wanted to say sorry before I go. My life is not worth living without you."

Steve was determined to go in front of the cameras despite underlying health worries, ex- fiancée Jane claims.

She told how Steve even got a doctor’s letter confirming he was medically fit so he could take the show’s test in an effort to convince her he had not been unfaithful.

Jane, who said Steve had been diagnosed with depression, added: “He wanted to go on. He was really excited and confident. But it was all a front and I knew it. He wasn’t well at all.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9067960/jeremy-kyle-show-guest-death-drug-overdose/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

A lie detector test has cost him his life.

The reliability of lie detector tests is not proven and they can be fooled. They are rarely admissible in courts across the world.

I hate those shows, making vulnerable people in awful circumstances a laughing stock and a shabby exhibit in one fell swoop.

I don't think much of the more 'highbrow' Dr Phil (PhD, not a medical doctor), who clearly just wants to get in a few catch phrases and to appeal to the moral masses rather than help any situation. His guests are the same vulnerable cohort, just in better clothes. His tactics the same as the odious Kyle, just with a less incendiary vocabulary.

I've watched a few of these shows, they always leave me feeling grubby for intruding.

• Advertisement

Yes. It was a fascinating programme. The host was a cnut, but the people were/ are amazing.

It had titles like "Where was my boyfriend when he said he was behind the chicken shop?" and "Amanda strongly denies having fleas". It was humanity at its most brutally, selfless honest; therefore, at its most liberated.

I want to start a petition to bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah, don't know who is worse - the lad in the chair or the gob****e provoking him.

Hard behind his 2 security men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can proudly say I never saw any of Jeremy Kyle show.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I can proudly say I never saw any of Jeremy Kyle show.
    Would you be so proud to admit that you had never read Proust?! It's all the same, it's all soap opera. The trick is not to tangle yourself up in judgement.

Yes. It was a fascinating programme. The host was a cnut, but the people were/ are amazing.

It had titles like "Where was my boyfriend when he said he was behind the chicken shop?" and "Amanda strongly denies having fleas". It was humanity at its most brutally, selfless honest; therefore, at its most liberated.

I want to start a petition to bring it back.

You're just romanticizing them. There is nothing "liberated" about people from the very bottom rung of the UK's socio-economic ladder.

Would you be so proud to admit that you had never read Proust?! It's all the same, it's all soap opera. The trick is not to tangle yourself up in judgement.

Fiction vs reality. Real people with lives so lousy that their claim to fame is an appearance on a crappy tv show where they air their laundry in public where it can be laughed at.

It's hard not to judge those people even though it's not fair - but it's human. That's the premise of the show anyway, that we're entertained by these people with no advantages in life or character, trying to struggle their way through their problems and most importantly failing, for our entertainment.

You're just romanticizing them. There is nothing "liberated" about people from the very bottom rung of the UK's socio-economic ladder.
    We had better cancel Dickens, so

No I wouldn't. You can't be smug and admit you never read Proust. Besides it would be a lie. :p (Do I get points for extra smugness). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You can't be smug and admit you never read Proust.

I'll never know how he managed to write so well driving at that speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

there have been plenty of tales, for example, of guests with drinking problems being put up in hotels the night before the show, and booze being delivered to their rooms unannounced. that's what sort of scum those associated with the the are

We had better cancel Dickens, so

Dickens was offering a critique of the social and economic conditions that prevailed in Britain during his lifetime. He believed people could and should aspire to better. He certainly wouldn't pretend that his lower class characters were fully liberated agents -- quite the opposite, they were depicted as victims of the existing social order. There is nothing romantic about Dickensian poverty.

Candie wrote: »
    Fiction vs reality. Real people with lives so lousy that their claim to fame is an appearance on a crappy tv show where they air their laundry in public where it can be laughed at.

It's hard not to judge those people even though it's not fair - but it's human. That's the premise of the show anyway, that we're entertained by these people with no advantages in life or character, trying to struggle their way through their problems and most importantly failing, for our entertainment.
    You're using words like "lousy" and "crappy" to describe these people's lives, and I think that's pretty unfair.

Firstly, it merits mention that most of them are fascinating. I think that's objectively proven by the sheer popularity of the programme.

Everyone has a lousy life. We just have to make the best of it. Not only are Jeremy Kyle's guests doing the best they can with the cards they've been dealt, they're unashamed. I love this about them.

When I was a youngster, I remember spending an awful lot of time fretting about whether I was poorer or richer than the next boy in class, smarter or more stupid; athletic or awkward. I daresay many people have never moved beyond this, and react with hostility towards those who are (relatively) happy and couldn't care less about others' opinions.

Learned men (and women) have spent centuries stroking their beaux-arts beards, contemplating happiness, and trying to find the fastest route towards it.

It emerges that the truth was before our eyes all along, on daytime TV. Show love, be brashly honest (or else face the wrath of the Lie Detector) and make no apologies for being yourself. Happiness will burst in upon you.

Dickens was offering a critique of the social and economic conditions that prevailed in Britain during his lifetime. He believed people could and should aspire to better. He certainly wouldn't pretend that his lower class characters were fully liberated agents -- quite the opposite, they were depicted as victims of the existing social order. There is nothing romantic about Dickensian poverty.
    Most of that is true, but Dickens absolutely did also romanticise poverty. It wasn't his main theme, I agree, but he is guilty of that, if we can call it guilt.

You're using words like "lousy" and "crappy" to describe these people's lives, and I think that's pretty unfair.

Firstly, it merits mention that most of them are fascinating. I think that's objectively proven by the sheer popularity of the programme.

Everyone has a lousy life. We just have to make the best of it. Not only are Jeremy Kyle's guests doing the best they can with the cards they've been dealt, they're unashamed. I love this about them.

When I was a youngster, I remember spending an awful lot of time fretting about whether I was poorer or richer than the next boy in class, smarter or more stupid; athletic or awkward. I daresay many people have never moved beyond this, and react with hostility towards those who are (relatively) happy and couldn't care less about others' opinions.

Learned men (and women) have spent centuries stroking their beaux-arts beards, contemplating happiness, and trying to find the fastest route towards it.

It emerges that the truth was before our eyes all along, on daytime TV. Show love, be brashly honest (or else face the wrath of the Lie Detector) and make no apologies for being yourself. Happiness will burst in upon you.

Lives with no advantages or redeeming features discernible, crappy is as accurate a description as any. Call me judgemental, but it's hard to pretty up most of the situations and circumstances presented.

What's this nonsense about everyone having lousy lives? News to me, I'm delighted with mine.

I think you're alone in celebrating what is usually someones' guilty pleasure, and I suspect most of the enjoyment from that tv show and others like it is from the realization that although the viewers life might be something of a challenge, it's rarely as bad as the lives of the people on Jeremy Kyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

pgj2015 wrote: »
    great music video. amazing satire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I watched a small bit of this show before, it was very informative. It showed me why Brexit happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

With shows like that I pay attention to the advertising slots. If you've ever watched a haughty cooking show check out the adverts - they're not for baking flour and fresh vegetables - no, they're for pizza and cheap holidays.

The sneering middle classes have the lumpen-proletariat served up to them while they're blissfully unaware they're being feasted upon themselves. At least the people who appear on the JK show know they're there for entertainment.

Dickens and other repredentatives of realism in literature invented characters to represent the life as accurately as they thought it was possible. (Dickens was probably more romantic than Balzac or Flauberbut but still.) Shows like Jeremy Kyle find extreme characters to misrepresent certain groups of people as more deplorable than they are. Both approaches are fiction, only one is pretending to be the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Many who appeared on the show with drink and drug problems were paid to go into rehab . They appeared back on the show after a few months and were so thankful to be free of what ever was messing up their lives and that of their families. Also Jeremy Kyle is only the presenter. He doesn't go out seeking the people who are on the show

Candie wrote: »
    Lives with no advantages or redeeming features discernible, crappy is as accurate a description as any.
    There are a number of points in your post I had wanted to take issue with, but I think that would bore you and everyone else reading this. The above statement is, however, central to this discussion.

You have quite correctly identified the lives of Jeremy Kyle's guests as being (I don't want to put words in your mouth) sad, pathetic and lonely. In a word, crappy. Fair observation.

Nevertheless, my observation of these people is that they know their lives are considered to be crappy but they embrace that, regardless. When they are in love, or when some toothless suitor proves his love via a "lie detector", they are as happy in love as you or I, with our fretting and philosophising, might ever be.

Some of them may not be able to spell the word 'existentialist', but they live it, with force. Nathan from Brixton who gave his partner crabs doesn't care about admitting his infidelity to the world, it is immaterial to him. He just wants Nathalie back.

These people are pure romantics, and utterly free. They know they are being exploited, but that's someone else's problem. We should all be like them, to be quite honest.

Dickens and other repredentatives of realism in literature invented characters to represent the life as accurately as they thought it was possible. (Dickens was probably more romantic than Balzac or Flauberbut but still.) Shows like Jeremy Kyle find extreme characters to misrepresent certain groups of people as more deplorable than they are. Both approaches are fiction, only one is pretending to be the truth.

I dont know whether I disagree with you or not. I think I agree, but in response to the italicised bit, we all live as deplorably and outrageously as these characters, from time to time. But the only reason why one class is represented is because they have nothing to lose.

I fundamentally disagree that their experiences are fictitious. I think it is the bourgeois, self-satisfied narrative of outward domestic bliss that is ridiculous, self-serving and completely lacking in credibility. In other words, unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I dont know whether I disagree with you or not. I think I agree, but in response to the italicised bit, we all live as deplorably and outrageously as these characters, from time to time. But the only reason why one class is represented is because they have nothing to lose.

I fundamentally disagree that their experiences are fictitious. I think it is the bourgeois, self-satisfied narrative of outward domestic bliss that is ridiculous, self-serving and completely lacking in credibility. In other words, unreal.

When somebody says someone is "a bit Jeremy Kyle" or words to that effect, would you say they're generally using that positively? Do you think the existence of memes like "Jeremy Kyle teeth" or whatever empower the working class?

You choosing to engage with this ironically as some kind of fascinating celebratory spectacle is fine, but you have to see that it's a show that has made people rich by exploiting and reinforcing stereotypes about the indigenous white poor, pretty much the last acceptable group to treat this way and have these views of. It's the gawping under guise of concern and guidance that people have been engaging in since medieval carnivals through human zoos through this.

As I said, dress it up however you like but that is what it boils down to, your spinning it as some kind of ingenuous expression of existentialism isn't much better than the people who watch it to just straight up laugh at the chavs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its basically a british version of jerry springer

and Kyle himself is an egocentric, of course he acts all hard & tough when he has those big burly bodyguards backstage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of unemployed suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly bored and unsure about what to do with their afternoon.

Save you all, Judge Judy will.

• Advertisement

When somebody says someone is "a bit Jeremy Kyle" or words to that effect, would you say they're generally using that positively? Do you think the existence of memes like "Jeremy Kyle teeth" or whatever empower the working class?
    They're not using that positively. And Jeremy Kyle does not empower the working class (at least, not intentionally).

I want to be clear. Jeremy Kyle is a cnut of the highest order. But all those beautiful, ugly, ordinary, and most of all *real* people? I think they're genuinely wonderful. Their life stories vary from Greek tragedy ('I'm in love with my brother-in-law' ) to the surreal ('Who stole my baby's golden bangle?').

It is human life at its most elementary and most valid. Don't knock it!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I watched a small bit of this show before, it was very informative. It showed me why Brexit happened.

It's cute that you think these people vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Some of tomorrows rags going to town on poor old Jeremy

Everything from 'I nearly killed myself because of him too' to him apparently having been in hiding....for like 3 hours!

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-48276150?ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter&ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ziedth wrote: »
    If I remember right it happened to one of the "Big" day time talk shows in the US in the 90's? (Sally or something maybe) and it cancelled the show...... Hard to pull back from something like that especially these days

I think that was the jenny Jones show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Opened the thread after taking the OP at his word. Very disappointed. Apparently Kyle is alive and well, and there wasn't an actual axe involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement